Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Senators - 1/21/2015 - Healy/Karlsson BFF Edition

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
So much heart from the Leafs tonight, astounding really.

The Leafs are a team to be reckoned with that's for sure. The grit and determination they showed tonight (especially Pukenuff) really made me a believer! What a vivid display of talent, focus and heart! I'll give it to them cause for a while there it looked like the Stanley Cup was on its way down the 401 to it's rightful owner!! **** the Leafs are that good I tell ya!!!

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Alternatively, if we could find a third #2 center, we could put out a three-headed-monster of a depth chart featuring Turris-Zibanejad-XXXXX up the middle and roll three lines deep to keep defences honest.

Both strategies would help take some of the opposition pressure off of Turris.

I think we may just see that with Zibby next season. He is showing those flashes of brilliance more often the last few games. Get things sorted out between his ears and get the confidence up a bit more and he will be a beast.

I'd much rather see the players continue to progress, play a great second half of the season, and finish 9th in the east and 16th in the league then draft Strome. But I feel like I'm the only ****ing one

I want to see the guys continue to improve and progress....then finish 9th and win the draft lotto for McDavid. That crazy simulation Bonk posted the other day really seems to favor the teams that just miss the playoffs (whenever I use it).....maybe the good karma of actually trying til the last days of the season will see the hockey gods reward us. :naughty:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
The "tank nation" thing is just one big coping mechanism for cheering for a bunch of losers.

They all think they have the greatest team until they fall down the standings, and then the only way they won't get major depression is to pretend that's what they wanted all along.

Losing is pretty contagious in Toronto. Don't buy into this Tank-it ******** as we all know that every Laff fan is delusional about their team's performance and are very far removed from reality! No Laff fan wants to purposely lose - **** these whackjobs here always think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread into they repeatedly get their assess handed to them! :laugh:

**** I love beating the Leafs!!! :yo:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
So exciting that EK is back.

Been a rough stretch for Gryba... really bad lately. Not sure why he doesn't sit once in a while. He shoots right, but he's also the 7th best dman in terms of performance lately. Can Phillips really not play RD well enough to be a #6?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I didn't catch any pre and post game stuff:

Did Cameron sit Legwand because he sucks or because of some unspecified injury?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Anyone else notice in the last minute or two a leafs player had a chance to the side of the net and hoofed it out. It hit nothing on its way out. Showed the replay of the good chance and no sens player came within 2 ft of the puck on its way out. The faceoff was on the inside. Should it not be outside? The TV crew mentioned nothing of it so I figured they may have changed the rules or something. Toronto sustained pressure and eventually scored.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What's interesting is how many people wrote off Karlsson saying the Cooke injury ruined his career. It's odd because we had documented cases like Selanne and Kessler who said that it took over a year and a half to two years before they regained full usage of their injured leg.

I think that Karlsson coming back sooner than expected from the initial injury (which I still think, in retrospect, wasn't the best idea) made people think that this was it for him.

I think you're only NOW finally seeing him at his peak again. And it's glorious to watch. When he's on, he's the most electrifying man in sports

(not entertainment, that's this guy:
-09debbae-6bc9-4460-a7a1-a38be2848083.jpeg
)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The Wier - Gryba pairing is not working. I would put Phillips back in just for the sole purpose of splitting up those two guys.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Leafs are a team to be reckoned with that's for sure. The grit and determination they showed tonight (especially Pukenuff) really made me a believer! What a vivid display of talent, focus and heart! I'll give it to them cause for a while there it looked like the Stanley Cup was on its way down the 401 to it's rightful owner!! **** the Leafs are that good I tell ya!!!

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

You can make fun all you want. But for another game we had he lead. And the leafs wouldn't go away. And I believe they were out shooting us 11-1. In the third. And then we made it 4-2 with 2 minutes left. And they STILL didn't go away and they scored another. No matter what. They always make us sweat.

When it comes to playing us. They fight tooth and nail until the last second.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Only got to see the first period, as I had dodgeball last night.

But I guess I caught the best period anyway. LOL

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed the Healy love affair with EK, LOL

Always nice to beat Toronto, always.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Alternatively, if we could find a third #2 center, we could put out a three-headed-monster of a depth chart featuring Turris-Zibanejad-XXXXX up the middle and roll three lines deep to keep defences honest.

I don't think this really works. Because then you have to find another pair of #2 wingers. Which is already hard enough to find one pair of.
While it does seem easier and cheaper I feel like it's even harder.
We are struggling I find 6 top 6 players. With 3 "second lines" we need to find 9 top 6 players.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

not enough icetime to go around in that case which is why it is important to have 1 really good center who plays a lot and can control the play

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair we were playing a team that according to TSN has had their worst "stretch" of 17 (3-14) games in 25 years. In other words - they're struggling pretty bad.

Edit: But I guess it depends on how you view glory. It's pretty hilarious to watch Toronto implode yet again. Could definitely be viewed as glorious.

Ya not to rain on the parade but the sens almost found another way to lose this game.

EK was great tonight but this team sure was complacent against a horrible team. Considering they blew two third period leads the last two games that was a brutal effort in the second half. it's scary how little killer instinct this group has. We should be emrassing the tank too.

Gryba is horribleabsolutely atrocious he needs to go. Gives up possession over and over and over again. Once this team gives up the dead weight they will be much better. If you really watch Mrthot then the other defensive d men it's astounding the difference. How/why do they all think it's necessary to blow the zone? I watched Cowen do it3 times and the most obvious was Wiercioch and Gryba on the first goal. Do you ever see mrthot do that? Do you ever see him f with the puck at the blue line? Nope never these are hockey's basics. Frankly they just have to get rid of these d men, Boro doesn't f with the puck now he just needs a partner.

I love that the best players are playing, Condra is playing unbelievable hockey. hell he could probably play better d than half the d on the team. Pageaus work eThic is infectious and thank goodness for stone hoff and bobby. This team needs to dump the dead weight stay the course and will draft top 10. Let the kids play and build toward 2016 2017

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think this really works. Because then you have to find another pair of #2 wingers. Which is already hard enough to find one pair of.

not enough icetime to go around in that case which is why it is important to have 1 really good center who plays a lot and can control the play

I'm a big proponent of the idea that good teams are deep up the middle.

There's plenty of icetime for three good centers, and I'm not too worried about what the wingers of our third 2nd line would look like if we had a legit 2nd line center between them.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
back to back and pageau took a lot of important faceoffs well Turris and his line struggling. Pageau had a really solid game.

Condra, Stone and pageau will be three guys who played incredible but dont really show up on the score sheet.

He's scoring at a .5pts per game clip as a rook. He's showing up on the score sheet quite often :naughty:

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I'm so disappointed no one in the crowed threw a leafs jersey on the ice. Or at least leafs underwear. Would have been an all time replay classic

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Funny story from last night:

Beside were two fans. Husband leaf fan, the wife Sens fan, which strangely saw a lot of that yesterday. Anyways. he has a Leaf cap on, and a jacket zippered up tight. It is 3-0 and he is pretty quiet. Leafs make it 3-1, he sees a friend in the stand, and graps his cap and gives the guy a slow nod, like a salute between friends.

Anyways, Leafs make it 3-2. Guy loses his mind, proudly unzips his jacket and whips it off. Lo and behold, underneath he has a pristine Leafs jersey, white with "Kadri" on it. He turns his cap around, lid in the back and is now rocking to the game.

Karlsson scores, and I was stunned to see him put his jacket back on! Thought it was hilarious.

Sens seem to try and get away with doing the least amount of work to win the game at times. In a back to back game, they came out like gangbusters. Then 3-0, it seemed they were content to do as little as possible and it looked like another Dallas debacle was brewing. I don't know if it is the youth of the team or what not, but it sure as hell is frustrating.

The 3rd they woke up again and Karlsson looked like a Hart candidate.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Pretty much.

And EK with a completely domination of a game.

Dangle and playmaking school of Bobby Ryan

And sniping practice with Mike Hoffman

lets not forget the sublime brilliance of Mark Stone.
He has Spezza level vision without the danger, and Nick lidstroms thieving ability.
After EK Stone is quite possibly the best player on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad