Sportsnet: Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tim-leiweke-future-plans-mlse-stubhub/

Leiweke said that Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1, which allows the company to control how they can be transferred. When one of those tickets is sold on the secondary market, MLSE will oversee the transaction and “give the money back to the person selling the ticket for the original face value and then we’ll keep the upside,†according to Leiweke.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
Great business move, although could they not just print them off and mail em? If I'm reading it correctly, this should lower the amount of 200% markups on the secondary market, which is always a good thing. Don't love seeing more money go to the big guys, but I'm all for lowering ticket prices.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Leafs keep the upside, does this mean that they are basically going to scalp their own tickets and profit off of that difference?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If the Leafs keep the upside, does this mean that they are basically going to scalp their own tickets and profit off of that difference?

why don't they just man up and flat out charge higher ticker prices commensurate with what the black market is charging?

most odd is it not?

one assumes when one spends money to purchase something, IE a ticket to a game it is then their property to do as they see fit.

Like not show up or burn it or what ever.

but to resell it at a mark up, gawd forbid?

SO the moral of the story is, do whatever you want with your ticket

except, don't make a dime off of us, that's all ours?

wowz, the length these corporate XXXX will go

HEY DAISY JOY, you still all warm and fuzzy about these two massive com gloms owning us?

and to think this is just their warm up act, more to come folks.:p:

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
why don't they just man up and flat out charge higher ticker prices commensurate with what the black market is charging?

most odd is it not?

one assumes when one spends money to purchase something, IE a ticket to a game it is then their property to do as they see fit.

Like not show up or burn it or what ever.

but to resell it at a mark up, gawd forbid?

SO the moral of the story is, do whatever you want with your ticket

except, don't make a dime off of us, that's all ours?

wowz, the length these corporate XXXX will go

HEY DAISY JOY, you still all warm and fuzzy about these two massive com gloms owning us?

and to think this is just their warm up act, more to come folks.:p:

Scalping tickets is illegal, whether you agree with the law or not is one thing. Whether its enforced enough or controllable is another as well.

I have no sympathy for those who scalp tickets to make an extra-buck who are losing out here.

Supply and demand. MLSE can charge whatever they please for their product and if you don't like the price then don't buy the ticket. If the price is insane then save your money. Nobody forces you to buy the tickets, just like nobody forces you to go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a car you can't afford either.

In terms of MLSE keeping the difference? I'm indifferent. If the police won't do their job to protect their assets and they want to do it themselves they can go for it.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Too bad for everyone that makes a living off of reselling these tickets lol

Smart move by MLSE

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
More face value tickets! Yaay!

Yep! People keep talking about MLSE keeping the markup for themselves... But there's zero incentive for people to sell them at marked up prices now. Why do MLSE a favour for no reason?

This should hurt the scalping market, and lower prices for most tickets being sold secondarily. Essentially will just be people trying not to lose money on games they cant attend, instead of gaining money.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It's a little confusing. Is MLSE trying to emulate StubHub, and make money off the resale transaction, or are they going to price their tickets dynamically on the secondary market and keep the "upside"? How could they control how much a ticket is sold for on kijiji, for example?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Scalping tickets is illegal, whether you agree with the law or not is one thing. Whether its enforced enough or controllable is another as well.

I have no sympathy for those who scalp tickets to make an extra-buck who are losing out here.

Supply and demand. MLSE can charge whatever they please for their product and if you don't like the price then don't buy the ticket. If the price is insane then save your money. Nobody forces you to buy the tickets, just like nobody forces you to go out and spend a ridiculous amount of money on a car you can't afford either.

In terms of MLSE keeping the difference? I'm indifferent. If the police won't do their job to protect their assets and they want to do it themselves they can go for it.

well wait a tick,

IF MLSE is pocketing the up tick, then they are in fact profiting from the highly illegal avails of scalping , right?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
There is absolutely nothing illegal about selling tickets online for more than face value. Although it is the exact same thing as scalping (which is illegal), there's some technicalities there.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

•Ontario law prohibits the sale of tickets at a price higher than that at which they were first issued.
•It is illegal to purchase tickets with the intention of reselling them at a profit.
•Ontario law also prohibits buying tickets for more than the advertised price. Ticket sales are also governed by the Consumer Protection Act, 2002.

And yet MLSE has little issue being the ones to skim off the top , the exact reason these laws are in place.

the hypocrisy is astounding.:shakehead

something tells me it won't be long before this is in the courts.

this is little less then vigilantism, IE, if the law won't do their perceived job, we will break the law and do it for them.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

What's the difference? MLSE gains or the individual businessman gains. Both are upping the price. People should be free to do what they want with their tickets. This is just a ploy for MLSE to get more money.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Season ticket holders will lose their **** if this catches on - but luckily there is 10,000 people behind them in line to buy

Wonder how many of them truly want to put the money up when they can't go to the premium games for free by selling the residuals.

If anything, this will just result in more corporations buying seats imo

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
What incentive is there for someone wanting to sell their tickets now?

And so I'm clear -- after Jan. 1st, essentially no Leaf tickets can be found on StubHub since they'll be going through the team?

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
•Ontario law prohibits the sale of tickets at a price higher than that at which they were first issued.
•It is illegal to purchase tickets with the intention of reselling them at a profit.
•Ontario law also prohibits buying tickets for more than the advertised price. Ticket sales are also governed by the Consumer Protection Act, 2002.

And yet MLSE has little issue being the ones to skim off the top , the exact reason these laws are in place.

the hypocrisy is astounding.:shakehead

something tells me it won't be long before this is in the courts.

this is little less then vigilantism, IE, if the law won't do their perceived job, we will break the law and do it for them.

It's THEIR product. They can sell for whatever price they wish. So no, what they're doing isn't illegal. They have the right the sell a 500 level seat at 1000 per ticket if they want to.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
What's the difference? MLSE gains or the individual businessman gains. Both are upping the price. People should be free to do what they want with their tickets. This is just a ploy for MLSE to get more money.

There is a large difference. MLSE is legally allowed to up the price of tickets to their own product while the local business man isn't.

And ploy or not, why shouldn't they do this? Its not like from a social standpoint you're losing money on the tickets you are buying. The only person who loses is the scalpers, and scalping is illegal, so...

Its not MLSE upping the price on their tickets, its them denying scalpers the ability to make a profit off their product, when they contribute nothing back. Basically why its a law in the first place

If police enforced the law the way its intended then they wouldn't be doing this.

But really, if youre not a scalper, why do you care? Youre not paying more.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Does that mean a person would print a PDF from home? What if the season ticket holder just sells the printed page now?

They still would be able to upsell it, wouldnt they?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Season ticket holders will lose their **** if this catches on - but luckily there is 10,000 people behind them in line to buy

Not sure yet what this means.

From what I understand Tickets have already been sent out for this season. Are they only sending out 1/2 a Season?

Do we print our own Tickets? If so, I'll sell those.

What price are we getting back on the Sale? I pay $38 per seat while ticket prices for some games are $90.

The list is at 10,000? I remember hearing about 20/30 year waits before I went on the list in 97. Of course that was folklore, I was 129th then and got my seats the next year when they bought the ACC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad