Sportsnet: Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Read an aticle a few days ago and Lieweike said they want to "improve" the atmosphere of the ACC, he implied hat he wanted more fans and less business suit's.

This is certainly a way to control who gets the tickets.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Read an aticle a few days ago and Lieweike said they want to "improve" the atmosphere of the ACC, he implied hat he wanted more fans and less business suit's.

How would this control who gets tickets?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
•Ontario law prohibits the sale of tickets at a price higher than that at which they were first issued.
•It is illegal to purchase tickets with the intention of reselling them at a profit.
•Ontario law also prohibits buying tickets for more than the advertised price. Ticket sales are also governed by the Consumer Protection Act, 2002.

Don't the resllers like Stubhub, Ticket Master, ect and such charge a commission for sellinf the tickets, is that not the same as sellign at higher than face value?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How would this control who gets tickets?

If you are business and the tickets are printed you can hand them out to whoever you want. Business contact comes in from China, here is 2 free tickets to see the Leafs

If they are electronic you cannot hand them out to a visiting business contact.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you are business and the tickets are printed you can hand them out to whoever you want. Business contact comes in from China, here is 2 free tickets to see the Leafs

Yes, you'll email them the pdf same as the last few years. At some point something needs to be printed and scanned for entry.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
It's THEIR product. They can sell for whatever price they wish. So no, what they're doing isn't illegal. They have the right the sell a 500 level seat at 1000 per ticket if they want to.

After tickets are issued scalping is illegal weather it's me or you doing it or the leafs.

Since no one cares about scalping leafs just want in on the action.

In order for leafs to not break the law, they have to have those 500 level seats at a face value of 1000.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Yes you can and in fact this has been the case for a number of years.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

It will be interesting to see if the "real fans" show up for the two exhibition games this year at the ACC which subscribers did NOT have to buy.

I find the "real fans" are always searching for free streams and criticizing MLSE for having to pay $2.00 a month for LeafsTV.

Talk is cheap. pony up if you are a REAL FAN.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
It will be interesting to see if the "real fans" show up for the two exhibition games this year at the ACC which subscribers did NOT have to buy.

I find the "real fans" are always searching for free streams and criticizing MLSE for having to pay $2.00 a month for LeafsTV.

Why would I want to see an exhibition game? For the same money I can take my talents on the road and catch a Leafs game in Buffalo or whatever and see an actual NHL roster playing for actual NHL points.

"real fans" come in many forms - including this guy who will NEVER spend a cent on a pretend hockey game.

For the record, I don't care what the Leafs charge for their games, and those free streams? Ha! I'll gladly pay for proper HD content (if only someone would let me).

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Why would I want to see an exhibition game? For the same money I can take my talents on the road and catch a Leafs game in Buffalo or whatever and see an actual NHL roster playing for actual NHL points.

"real fans" come in many forms - including this guy who will NEVER spend a cent on a pretend hockey game.

For the record, I don't care what the Leafs charge for their games, and those free streams? Ha! I'll gladly pay for proper HD content (if only someone would let me).

How many trips to Buffalo have you made over the years? Be Honest.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011

I think real fans are the ones who led to the massive Rogers TV deal, very few people relatively speaking watch games in those streams. If people were not paying for cable and watching games on TV the Rogers deal plus the massive local deal would not exist.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
How many trips to Buffalo have you made over the years? Be Honest.

Why do you ask? Are you trying to be clever?

I've got it pretty dialed in, actually. I'm going to guess 10. Lets see:

First ever was when good old Eddy Belfour first came to the Leafs. Leafs were down 3-0 I think and during a stoppage Eddie comes out of his crease and two-hand chops some Sabre in the back of the leg while the ref wasn't looking. Hilarious, but Toronto didn't score a goal. I remember getting a hot dog after the game and having freezing cold mustard on my hand, but the weather was so damn cold I just stuck my mustard-soaked hand inside my coat.

Second was with my brother in law. Leafs were down 4-2 I think, then came back and tied it and Kaberle scored the winner in OT. Place was hilarious - anyone in a Leafs jersey was hugging and high-fiving all the way out on to the street. You'd think they'd won the Stanley Cup. My friends called after and said I was all over the TV on that one. My moment of fame, indeed.

Third was a bit of a piss-up. I can't remember the actual game, but I do remember getting busted by Canada Customs for trying to bring back a trunk full of booze. A 3 hour delay I'd like to forget...

Fourth was on Remembrance Day, and we headed down super early for some wings and beers before the game. My buddy dropped a wing on his white Tucker jersey and sauce got EVERYWHERE. It was even on his back! Ha ha, what a memory.

Fifth was with the wife, and I ended up sitting beside Ian White's girlfriend. Leafs were up 5-2 in the third, but then the Sabres stormed back and won the damn game with their speed. I think that was the year they went to the Conf. Finals.

Sixth was with my buddy from work, early in the season we just went on a weeknight. Leafs won 2-0 I believe.

Seventh was with more friends from work, stayed at the Hampton Inn and enjoyed a Leafs victory. Here's a photo - check out the angry old lady:
OJ96F55.png

Eighth was that same group of guys the following year. I remember stepping on my buddy who was passed out drunk on the floor of the hotel room and he proceeded to puke everywhere. We used the ice bucket to clean it up, so make sure you always use those plastic ice bucket liners when you're at a hotel.

I'm drawing a blank after that, so I'd say #9 was last year when the Leafs played a very boring an uninspiring game - it's like the Sabres sucked the life out of them.

So I guess we will have to go with 9 Buffalo road trips, but I think I'm missing one in there somewhere.

There's also a trip to Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and eventually we will do the Florida tour. Of course I've made my way down to the ACC for several tilts of varying importance and success (one was that 8-0 game against Florida - WTF!)

Columbus is also on the list - but you know what isn't? EXHIBITION GAMES.

[drops mic]

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

First ever was when good old Eddy Belfour first came to the Leafs. Leafs were down 3-0 I think and during a stoppage Eddie comes out of his crease and two-hand chops some Sabre in the back of the leg while the ref wasn't looking. Hilarious, but Toronto didn't score a goal. I remember getting a hot dog after the game and having freezing cold mustard on my hand, but the weather was so damn cold I just stuck my mustard-soaked hand inside my coat.

Second was with my brother in law. Leafs were down 4-2 I think, then came back and tied it and Kaberle scored the winner in OT. Place was hilarious - anyone in a Leafs jersey was hugging and high-fiving all the way out on to the street. You'd think they'd won the Stanley Cup. My friends called after and said I was all over the TV on that one. My moment of fame, indeed.

Third was a bit of a piss-up. I can't remember the actual game, but I do remember getting busted by Canada Customs for trying to bring back a trunk full of booze. A 3 hour delay I'd like to forget...

Fourth was on Remembrance Day, and we headed down super early for some wings and beers before the game. My buddy dropped a wing on his white Tucker jersey and sauce got EVERYWHERE. It was even on his back! Ha ha, what a memory.

Fifth was with the wife, and I ended up sitting beside Ian White's girlfriend. Leafs were up 5-2 in the third, but then the Sabres stormed back and won the damn game with their speed. I think that was the year they went to the Conf. Finals.

Sixth was with my buddy from work, early in the season we just went on a weeknight. Leafs won 2-0 I believe.

Seventh was with more friends from work, stayed at the Hampton Inn and enjoyed a Leafs victory. Here's a photo - check out the angry old lady:
OJ96F55.png

Eighth was that same group of guys the following year. I remember stepping on my buddy who was passed out drunk on the floor of the hotel room and he proceeded to puke everywhere. We used the ice bucket to clean it up, so make sure you always use those plastic ice bucket liners when you're at a hotel.

I'm drawing a blank after that, so I'd say #9 was last year when the Leafs played a very boring an uninspiring game - it's like the Sabres sucked the life out of them.

So I guess we will have to go with 9 Buffalo road trips, but I think I'm missing one in there somewhere.

There's also a trip to Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and eventually we will do the Florida tour. Of course I've made my way down to the ACC for several tilts of varying importance and success (one was that 8-0 game against Florida - WTF!)

[drops mic]

I imagine there is a much larger number who could afford the $25 for a Pre-season ticket than could afford the cost of a weekend away. I imagine these are the fans ND is referring to.

Myself, I wouldn't invest that much time going to a road game(golf weekend is another matter) but I also don't go to exhibition games.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
I imagine there is a much larger number who could afford the $25 for a Pre-season ticket than could afford the cost of a weekend away. I imagine these are the fans ND is referring to.

Myself, I wouldn't invest that much time going to a road game(golf weekend is another matter) but I also don't go to exhibition games.

A few of those weren't weekend getaways, rather a short 1.5 hour jaunt down the QEW on a weeknight and back again late at night. It seems far, but I live in Milton (Mississauga then), so getting down to the ACC was an hour of frustration in itself. Might as well head the other way on the wide open road!

If paying $25 to sit in the nosebleeds at a preseason game has been a desire for years, then Buffalo has also had this option for decades.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A few of those weren't weekend getaways, rather a short 1.5 hour jaunt down the QEW on a weeknight and back again late at night.

If paying $25 to sit in the nosebleeds at a preseason game has been a desire for years, then Buffalo has also had this option for decades.

A subway ride for some isn't the same time/cost wise as a jaunt down the highway.
Obviously it's not a desire for all, they couldn't fill a pre-season game when it was free.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I think real fans are the ones who led to the massive Rogers TV deal, very few people relatively speaking watch games in those streams. If people were not paying for cable and watching games on TV the Rogers deal plus the massive local deal would not exist.

Good point.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

OJ96F55.png

[drops mic]

Excellent response to a rather lame post by me. ;)

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
There is a large difference. MLSE is legally allowed to up the price of tickets to their own product while the local business man isn't.

And ploy or not, why shouldn't they do this? Its not like from a social standpoint you're losing money on the tickets you are buying. The only person who loses is the scalpers, and scalping is illegal, so...

Its not MLSE upping the price on their tickets, its them denying scalpers the ability to make a profit off their product, when they contribute nothing back. Basically why its a law in the first place

If police enforced the law the way its intended then they wouldn't be doing this.

But really, if youre not a scalper, why do you care? Youre not paying more.

Why shouldn't an individual be able to sell a ticket they bought. It all comes down to the government wanting their share from taxes. They should legalize scalping, let them register as a small business, so they can pay their small share of taxes and re-sell as the market demands. Regulating is much more effective than straight bans.
Just because something is a law doesn't make it right. There are a lot of stupid laws on the books in Canada, like;
Canadian Criminal Code section 365.
365. Every one who fraudulently
(a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration,
(b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or
(c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

And to your point of why should I care if I'm not a scalper, because I try to speak up for others, with the hopes that others will stick up for me when I need it. Right is right.

Legion03

Aug 4, 2014
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Why shouldn't an individual be able to sell a ticket they bought. It all comes down to the government wanting their share from taxes. They should legalize scalping, let them register as a small business, so they can pay their small share of taxes and re-sell as the market demands. Regulating is much more effective than straight bans.
Just because something is a law doesn't make it right. There are a lot of stupid laws on the books in Canada, like;
Canadian Criminal Code section 365.
365. Every one who fraudulently
(a) pretends to exercise or to use any kind of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment or conjuration,
(b) undertakes, for a consideration, to tell fortunes, or
(c) pretends from his skill in or knowledge of an occult or crafty science to discover where or in what manner anything that is supposed to have been stolen or lost may be found,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

And to your point of why should I care if I'm not a scalper, because I try to speak up for others, with the hopes that others will stick up for me when I need it. Right is right.

I don't think that's a stupid law at all. It may be worded silly, but it can help people who get taken by con artists acting as fortune tellers (seperating con artist and fortune teller is kind of redundant). Yes, the person is dumb for giving their money to said con artist, but what about kids, and mentally disabled people? They should be able to get their money back, and it's not technically stealing, so this helps.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes, you'll email them the pdf same as the last few years. At some point something needs to be printed and scanned for entry.

With technology changing everyday I'm sure there are ways to prevent people from "sharing" season tickets.

Why can't MLSE build an app for season ticket holders that has the tickets in e-form and put barcodes on each virtual ticket? That would solve the sharing of tickets.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
With technology changing everyday I'm sure there are ways to prevent people from "sharing" season tickets.

Why can't MLSE build an app for season ticket holders that has the tickets in e-form and put barcodes on each virtual ticket? That would solve the sharing of tickets.

They have had this for several years.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I'd bet 99% of Subscribers share them, you can't go to every game.

FYI - the Tickets currently have barcodes.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd bet 99% of Subscribers share them, you can't go to every game.

FYI - the Tickets currently have barcodes.

About the barcode thing, someone said they come in pdf form and you need to scan them, if they came through an app with a bar code, you would prevent sharing and still be able to scan them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00