Sportsnet: Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

About the barcode thing, someone said they come in pdf form and you need to scan them, if they came through an app with a bar code, you would prevent sharing and still be able to scan them.

You've lost me.

Are you suggesting the only way to get tickets is via an app and you print them from this app?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You've lost me.

Are you suggesting the only way to get tickets is via an app and you print them from this app?

No you don't print them, you have them display in the app on your smart phone, then scan them so you can track which ticket was used and which one was not use.

I'm sure there are a lot of ways you can do an e-ticket, I'm no IT guy, an app was the first thing that popped in my head.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
No you don't print them, you have them display in the app on your smart phone, then scan them so you can track which ticket was used and which one was not use.

I'm sure there are a lot of ways you can do an e-ticket, I'm no IT guy, an app was the first thing that popped in my head.

What about people who don't have a smart phone? Fingerprints?

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014

Even this has a loophole. What if the seller now just sells the "ticket" by trading the screenshot of the app page for money?

You see, people will always find a way.

I think, the only fool-proof way for MLSE to control all resale business would be to ask STH to generate a list of 5 people who would be using the tickets before season starts. Before the game, you can select which 2 people will be attending the game. Otherwise, you "sell" the tickets back to MLSE and now they can resale at face value. The buyer on Leafs website enters the name of the person who'll be attending the game. Photo ID is checked at the gates. But this would be a lot of hassle so I don't see it happening. Also, this wouldn't work with businesses that own license.

Thats the only foolproof way I can think of.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Even this has a loophole. What if the seller now just sells the "ticket" by trading the screenshot of the app page for money?

You see, people will always find a way.

I think, the only fool-proof way for MLSE to control all resale business would be to ask STH to generate a list of 5 people who would be using the tickets before season starts. Before the game, you can select which 2 people will be attending the game. Otherwise, you "sell" the tickets back to MLSE and now they can resale at face value. The buyer on Leafs website enters the name of the person who'll be attending the game. Photo ID is checked at the gates. But this would be a lot of hassle so I don't see it happening. Also, this wouldn't work with businesses that own license.

Thats the only foolproof way I can think of.

The app regenerates an control number that changes every 10 minutes and synchs up to a server... :P There ya go a unique control number that kills the screeshot scalpers game.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Not sure how they'll control cash switching hands. All you have to do is transfer the ticket for face value and give the person the difference in cash.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Leafs should void any tickets not used by the end of the second period, and re-sell admittance to those seats for $20 for the third. This would be such a ML$E thing to do, it's a wonder why it doesn't happen already!

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think that's a stupid law at all. It may be worded silly, but it can help people who get taken by con artists acting as fortune tellers (seperating con artist and fortune teller is kind of redundant). Yes, the person is dumb for giving their money to said con artist, but what about kids, and mentally disabled people? They should be able to get their money back, and it's not technically stealing, so this helps.

The part about targeting kids, seniors and mentally disabled people would be covered under fraud in the criminal code. And how is this any different then those who give money to faith leaders on Sunday morning? Both are con artists that target the vulnerable. This law like the scalping law protect large entities, and target smaller people/groups. People should be able to sell their services as they see fit under a free market, obviously with the exception of fraud. Bartering has been around since the beginning of time.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Not sure yet what this means.

From what I understand Tickets have already been sent out for this season. Are they only sending out 1/2 a Season?

Do we print our own Tickets? If so, I'll sell those.

What price are we getting back on the Sale? I pay $38 per seat while ticket prices for some games are $90.

The list is at 10,000? I remember hearing about 20/30 year waits before I went on the list in 97. Of course that was folklore, I was 129th then and got my seats the next year when they bought the ACC.

I went on the list 4 years ago and haven't had anything - so not sure what the deal is, but I assume it's very high.

My understanding of the article is that Tim Liewieke is starting up a competitor to stubhub, using his connections in the sports industry. They'll be the only official place to buy tickets, and season ticket holders will be able to list the tickets they can't make on this website, and anything above face value goes to MLSE (I'd assume the face for the specific game, be it premium or super premium, etc). I'd assume that they would have penalties to the season ticket holder to enforce this - effectively trying to take over the scalping market completely. In reality, it will reduce the cost that season ticket holders sell for, as there would be no point in charging crazy fees if they aren't getting anything.

I'm sure as a Season Seat Holder you'd be pissed - but they really have no obligation to keep allowing ssh to profit the way they do on certain games. It would only work in the major markets, but I'm 100% sure that the buying market would love this, and if this becomes the only choice for officially selling season seats then it takes away many options. Of course you could still buy, print them out, then sell - but I'd assume that the teams would try to discourage this somehow (repossess tickets?)

This also helps to bring the "real fans" into the arena too - making the whole thing more affordable. It's a pipe dream still, but I'm fairly confident that if anyone could do this it would be liewieke. The connections in AEG and now MLSE would be huge.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Leiweke said that Leafs season tickets will be delivered electronically starting on Jan. 1,

from the OP and title.... that`s going to suck for season ticket holders not getting their tickets until January for October games. I must be missing something.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I went on the list 4 years ago and haven't had anything - so not sure what the deal is, but I assume it's very high.

My understanding of the article is that Tim Liewieke is starting up a competitor to stubhub, using his connections in the sports industry. They'll be the only official place to buy tickets, and season ticket holders will be able to list the tickets they can't make on this website, and anything above face value goes to MLSE (I'd assume the face for the specific game, be it premium or super premium, etc). I'd assume that they would have penalties to the season ticket holder to enforce this - effectively trying to take over the scalping market completely. In reality, it will reduce the cost that season ticket holders sell for, as there would be no point in charging crazy fees if they aren't getting anything.

I'm sure as a Season Seat Holder you'd be pissed - but they really have no obligation to keep allowing ssh to profit the way they do on certain games. It would only work in the major markets, but I'm 100% sure that the buying market would love this, and if this becomes the only choice for officially selling season seats then it takes away many options. Of course you could still buy, print them out, then sell - but I'd assume that the teams would try to discourage this somehow (repossess tickets?)

This also helps to bring the "real fans" into the arena too - making the whole thing more affordable. It's a pipe dream still, but I'm fairly confident that if anyone could do this it would be liewieke. The connections in AEG and now MLSE would be huge.

You should call and ask them where you sit on the list. I know when I went on they told me I needed to reapply every year, that the list didn't carry over. I'm not sure if that is still the case. In my case I got them before needing to reapply.

We have our Tickets for the year, so unless at some point they make the hard tickets void, he must have his date for starting this up wrong.

My biggest concern of this is what happens if they can't sell my Tickets? Do I get credited for them anyway?

I'm sure at some point MLSE will let us in on what's happening, until then I'll carry on as normal.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
You should call and ask them where you sit on the list. I know when I went on they told me I needed to reapply every year, that the list didn't carry over. I'm not sure if that is still the case. In my case I got them before needing to reapply.

We have our Tickets for the year, so unless at some point they make the hard tickets void, he must have his date for starting this up wrong.

My biggest concern of this is what happens if they can't sell my Tickets? Do I get credited for them anyway?

I'm sure at some point MLSE will let us in on what's happening, until then I'll carry on as normal.

Absolutely - and considering he hasn't left MLSE yet to start this new company I'd assume it wont be for a few years.

To be honest I went on knowing full well I couldn't afford them, figuring I'd get to the top of the list by the time I had the income - haha. So I'm OK waiting another couple years, but I will inquire again about the list.

The idea he has is very interesting, and could be a real player in the market - and if he's going to walk into the teams office and hand them 25 mil off the bat then I do think he'll get a big portion of the market. Will be interesting to see if he can shift the market

Iron Chef

Sep 24, 2011
I guess this is the most relevant thread for me to ask if anyone is willing to sell tickets to two Sharks fans who will be on their honeymoon in March next year to the Leafs/Sharks game. We are going to spend our honeymoon traveling with the Sharks on their Canadian roadie next March and are hoping to get reasonably priced tickets!

PM if you are willing to us help us out :)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I guess this is the most relevant thread for me to ask if anyone is willing to sell tickets to two Sharks fans who will be on their honeymoon in March next year to the Leafs/Sharks game. We are going to spend our honeymoon traveling with the Sharks on their Canadian roadie next March and are hoping to get reasonably priced tickets!

PM if you are willing to us help us out :)

You need to go directly to Timmy L if you need tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad