Post-Game Talk: Leafs roll on the hapless Canucks 6-3 (Warnings in OP and 581)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I mean anti-fighting in the sense that he's not the kind of coach to go looking for that sort of ruckus, not that he's totally opposed to it.

Martin wasn't signed to be an enforcer, and he didn't send out Martin for retribution. In the interview he said he told him "make sure there's no trouble and just finish the game off". That doesn't seem to me like he wanted him to go out and start a fight.

Apparent meaning: "Make sure there's no trouble."
Actual meaning: "The first random guy you run in to is trouble. Make sure there's no trouble."

Apparent meaning: "Just finish the game off"
Actual meaning: "Just finish *your* game off. By getting an instigator and a game misconduct."

:laugh:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs quietly score 6 goals. I think 4 was the highest this season..

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Yeah I've seen that video a hundred times. But the camera cuts away after Martin knocks him down, and then comes back after whatever fighting there was took place. Obviously Martin was there to send a message, but I'm curious as to whether the guy got up and gave him a chop or a shove, how the glove-dropping looked, etc.

Has anyone actually seen the start of the fight? Usually there's a camera behind the play that catches this stuff. Was anyone there in the building on Saturday and saw it unfold?

Gameplus Multi Angle #2

Shows it clear.

Basically when the cam pans away to follow Marner, Martin essentially drops his gloves and starts punching Stecher. Total cheap shot. Stecher didn't even get his gloves off before Miller was on him.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I miss the days where it was news when there wasn't a line brawl and big hits made Rock 'Em Sock 'Em.

What the hell happened to hockey??? So much fuss over hits where no one was even injured.

Kadri went in hard on a guy taking a shot on net (which he scored on showing how critical it was for someone to run him out of the play) and knocked him on his ass. End of story! Take all the camera angles you want, it was a clean hit. Shouldn't of even been a penalty let alone a suspension.

Martin likely shouldn't of grabbed a rookie but nothing even barely happened before Miller jumped in. Martin grabbed the first guy that made contact with him. Big Whoop! One of the Vancouver players also had ahold of Matthews.

The fact that this is even a big deal speaks to the saddening state of physical contact in hockey. I'm all for player safety until the point player safety interferes with the competition. I'm not watching to see players be safe on the ice, I'm watching to see them compete in the game as it was meant to be. This is a full contact sport that carries with it great risk, that is why it is exciting.

I long for the days where a game like this wasn't a news story, it was just Saturday night hockey.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Gameplus Multi Angle #2

Shows it clear.

Basically when the cam pans away to follow Marner, Martin essentially drops his gloves and starts punching Stecher. Total cheap shot. Stecher didn't even get his gloves off before Miller was on him.

Martin was sending a message after they started going after our skilled players.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I miss the days where it was news when there wasn't a line brawl and big hits made Rock 'Em Sock 'Em.

What the hell happened to hockey??? So much fuss over hits where no one was even injured.

Kadri went in hard on a guy taking a shot on net (which he scored on showing how critical it was for someone to run him out of the play) and knocked him on his ass. End of story! Take all the camera angles you want, it was a clean hit. Shouldn't of even been a penalty let alone a suspension.

Martin likely shouldn't of grabbed a rookie but nothing even barely happened before Miller jumped in. Martin grabbed the first guy that made contact with him. Big Whoop! One of the Vancouver players also had ahold of Matthews.

The fact that this is even a big deal speaks to the saddening state of physical contact in hockey. I'm all for player safety until the point player safety interferes with the competition. I'm not watching to see players be safe on the ice, I'm watching to see them compete in the game as it was meant to be. This is a full contact sport that carries with it great risk, that is why it is exciting.

I long for the days where a game like this wasn't a news story, it was just Saturday night hockey.

It was a news story because the game has changed, I'm old as well but I don't long for those days!
Kadri should have played the puck, better chance at preventing that goal.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It was a news story because the game has changed, I'm old as well but I don't long for those days!
Kadri should have played the puck, better chance at preventing that goal.

Everything is easier when reflecting after the fact. Had Kadri been a fraction of a second earlier he would have knocked Sedin off the puck. These are split second decisions that are over-analyzed for days after.

Kadri went in shoulder on shoulder which is all that is asked for. I love physical hockey and the big hits but do agree with head shots. I think there should be even stiffer penalties for head-hunting. But this was a clean hit and shouldn't even barely be a discussion.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Really surprised Kadri didn't get anything gotta say. Not that I personally thought it was worth anything, I'm a bit of a dinosaur in a Don Cherry kind of way, but I thought by today's standards he'd get a couple for sure.

Spear was way dirtier IMO, that was premeditated. But if they want to let Kadri's go then I'm good with nothing there too.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Hate the Nucks.

Rielly's hit actually ended up injuring Hansen's shoulder--and he still went after Kadri after he made that hit. You have to give him props for standing up for his teammate. Hope he's traded off the team :laugh:

Also, how come no one's bringing up Burrows's slash attempt, FROM THE BENCH, after Rielly laid the hit? That's two things that P.O.S. gets away with. :rant:

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Nucks lost another one vs the islanders today. At this pace they will lose their coach long before Dec 3rd:laugh::nod::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad