TSN: Leafs recall Joe Colborne

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bozak's cheaper replacement is coming...

To get a number one center,To. will have to pay a guy other teams can't. To make room for that both MaC and Bozak will likely be allowed to oversign elsewhere. Bozaks' numbers ,despite playing with Kessel and the likes of JVR/Lupul aren't that jaw dropping.How many teams will pay $4 million for a 3rd line center? Like it or not,we cant afford both($6 million for a number one upgrade).

Colborne is Bozak's cheaper replacement.

GenericFan2*

I'm pumped. I've been saying this guy's ready for a while now, lets see if he can be somewhat of a factor even though hes likely playing bottom six haha.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
An important difference of note is that after the trade deadline teams only have 4 AHL recalls, and using one up and not playing the player doesn't make a lot of sense in that respect for insurance purposes only.

Kinda confused by this. I have heard this rule is still in place and have also heard it is not this season. Google was no help. Can anyone confirm the actual rule.

edit: found it

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/hershey_bears_president-gm_dou_1.html

Another change is that NHL clubs no longer will be limited to four free recalls from the trade deadline to the end of the season.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LMFAO, the only thing that he has on those guys are FO's, he doesn't even compare to them talent wise. And unlike Bozak they don't have to be carried by 1-2 offensive powerhouses.

If they were so good, they wouldn't have been moved by multiple times by multiple teams. :sarcasm:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Nonsense. He'll get 3.5 if you can convince him to stick around to be just a 3rd line center, but odds are good he'd get better offers elsewhere.

Does bozak want to pull a dominic moore? Go for it. I dare him

(Doesn't sign with toronto to an extension and leave get bounced around everywhere doesn't end up getting the money he wants)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He has the EXACT same production as Grabovksi and is paid much more yet people will give up our future for him for some strange reason

Grabovski always takes 20 games to get going for some strange reason. He is flying out there now, maybe the khl pace threw him off but the guys been solid the last 10 games. His wingers have defeated him quite a bit.

Hamilton Grabo was a fail, Kules is a fail with him.. I really think he needs someone faster. He's very dynamic and random in how he plays and thats not a negative. It's why other teams top lines dont have his card and he can maintain possession so often.

Colborne is more at the pace of Kules and Mac. Grabo I would say should in theory work best with Kessel.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
He is, but he's going to be the best C on the market. Avs have to start selling cuz their teams absolutely brutal, and they've got an abundance of centers and we may get him for pretty cheap. Put Kadri on 1st line (assuming he works on face offs), Stastny 2nd, JoeC 3rd and Mcclement 4th

I'm not sold on Stastny, mostly due to that 6.6 million cap hit.
Good player, but I don't see him being substantially better than what we have.
As we have seen with Kadri, sometimes its better to show some patience and wait for our players to develop.

Off topic a wee bit, but I dont see the need for another centre as much as some. I mean, what team in the league other than a few doesnt have a need for big scoring centre? A good number of teams have had a lot of success with having depth at centre and being to roll out 3 lines who can produce, and not have that one elite player. I honestly think our biggest need right now is a big, solid, stay at home defenceman who can play beside Phaneuf.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Grabovski always takes 20 games to get going for some strange reason. He is flying out there now, maybe the khl pace threw him off but the guys been solid the last 10 games. His wingers have defeated him quite a bit.

Hamilton Grabo was a fail, Kules is a fail with him.. I really think he needs someone faster. He's very dynamic and random in how he plays and thats not a negative. It's why other teams top lines dont have his card and he can maintain possession so often.

Colborne is more at the pace of Kules and Mac. Grabo I would say should in theory work best with Kessel.

Admittedly Grabo has played better lately, but for 5.5 million he needs to be more consistent. If he doesnt turn it on in the playoffs, I would definitely be looking to move him in the summer and promote Colborne as the 3rd line centre. He's got great speed and is very creative, but it seems that whomever plays on his line struggles to score. That's not just a coincidence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Grabo I would say should in theory work best with Kessel.

I don't see it, Grabo is not a playmaker, he wants the puck, the problem with this is it would take the puck away from a far superior creative player as Kessel. He is also small, he is willing but often plays the game from the seat of his pants. Why would be want 2 players that are not physically strong on one line? Kessel needs a player that isn't puck dominant, someone to get him the puck, with some size and someone without an ego to be the show on the line, there is a reason why Kessel likes playing with Bozak, and a reason why players do not like playing with Grabo. ie. Blake and Kule probably feels the same way now the way he has played with Kadri of late.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Admittedly Grabo has played better lately, but for 5.5 million he needs to be more consistent. If he doesnt turn it on in the playoffs, I would definitely be looking to move him in the summer and promote Colborne as the 3rd line centre. He's got great speed and is very creative, but it seems that whomever plays on his line struggles to score. That's not just a coincidence.

Honestly, I want to see him get a fair shot at line 1. Kadri is the true line one but it doesn't make sense to load that line up when the kid makes everyone better.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't see it, Grabo is not a playmaker, he wants the puck, the problem with this is it would take the puck away from a far superior creative player as Kessel. He is also small, he is willing but often plays the game from the seat of his pants. Why would be want 2 players that are not physically strong on one line? Kessel needs a player that isn't puck dominant, someone to get him the puck, with some size and someone without an ego to be the show on the line, there is a reason why Kessel likes playing with Bozak, and a reason why players do not like playing with Grabo. ie. Blake and Kule probably feels the same way now the way he has played with Kadri of late.

You're entitled to that opinion of course, I want to see proof as in let him play up there and see. Bozak may not even be on the team next year if he demands too much so why not try it.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
You're entitled to that opinion of course, I want to see proof as in let him play up there and see. Bozak may not even be on the team next year if he demands too much so why not try it.

idk though. im sort of indifferent

kessel is turning into a playmaker more-so now then he's ever been, and grabo can get to those area's i just feel like two players who want the puck all the time on the same line wont bode well together, but like you said; why not give it a try

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
idk though. im sort of indifferent

kessel is turning into a playmaker more-so now then he's ever been, and grabo can get to those area's i just feel like to players who want the puck all the time on the same line wont bode well together, but like you said; why not give it a try

It's been like 3 years since they tried it for 5 games. Kessel and Grabo have changed a lot since 3 years. You have to try it imho.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
They are one dimensional players, the stats look good on paper, but as a whole they are not if one has watched them for any amount of time.

Longer is the key word, past their best before date.

They are not 1-dimensional. They're actually good, reliable 2-way players, you can tell just by watching them and it's what most people say as well. Ribeiro is pretty much an older version of Kadri, the player that everyone supposedly loves. Both Roy and Ribs bring so much more to the table then Bozak and any knowledgeable fan can see that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kinda confused by this. I have heard this rule is still in place and have also heard it is not this season. Google was no help. Can anyone confirm the actual rule.

edit: found it

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/hershey_bears_president-gm_dou_1.html

In Nonis' press conference yesterday which I watched, he was asked about and confirmed this 4 recall rule that still exists in the new CBA.

I'm sure there is a source on-line that has the PC streamed that will confirm this.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dave-nonis-press-conference/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I think he wants to stay, and Nonis wants him, he resisted all offers for him to date. RC would prefer him to Grabo, I can't see Weiss being an upgrade to Bozak. Not for 5+M. Bozak may not be a perfect #1C, but he is a better option than others out there and he has gotten better each year with us. He fits in well with Kessel and the other young players here, I can see bringing in a older more experienced guy disrupting the chemistry this team is developing, one step fwd 2 steps back routine, no not falling for that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They are not 1-dimensional. They're actually good, reliable 2-way players, you can tell just by watching them and it's what most people say as well. Ribeiro is pretty much an older version of Kadri, the player that everyone supposedly loves. Both Roy and Ribs bring so much more to the table then Bozak and any knowledgeable fan can see that.

I never liked the Ribeiro/Kadri comparison. Never understood this, Kadri's upside as a 2 way player is much better, plus he has the insides Ribeiro would love to have.

I was the first poster here to make the Gilmour comparison, and I see Naz more like him than the poor man's Ribeiro version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad