TSN: Leafs recall Joe Colborne

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
It was clear he was not ready to compete in the NHL from the moment he was called up. He was exposed in his short stay with the leafs this season. He clearly needs a few more years in the AHL

:sarcasm:

Perfect. Now the usual suspects can just cut and paste your post. Saves them time. :D

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Actually that is interesting. How does that work ... in terms of cap space and salary for the player?

Also does this count as one of the 4 call-ups. I've read somewhere that the new CBA allows for the player to be switched back and forth and would still count as a single call-up....still trying to understand this rule better:(

SteveV*

Say what you want, but Joe looked more mature and defensively responsible during that pre game skate.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
Say what you want, but Joe looked more mature and defensively responsible during that pre game skate.

:laugh::laugh:

We must have been watching different per game skates. It didn't look like he was giving any effort out there.

thunderhawk905*

Well deserved for Joe, he's been having a stellar season. Not sure if we'll see him in the lineup but my hopes are we'll see much more of him next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good to see Sportsnet do a on the spot feature on Colborne. Mentioned he was playing well, and that his wrist is finally healthy. Had 6 points in 11 games I think Bowen mentioned last year on his first call up, that's not bad when you look at it from the point he was not healthy and it was his first call up. Stands to reason he is better now, said it a few times already but he looks faster, bigger, stronger than last year. With his character, and wanting to be as good as he can be, I have no doubt the young man will make an impact in the NHL soon.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
i was under the impression that this rule was nixed in the new CBA? no cap on callups now, can someone confirm?

This is the wording on the CBA...is there a law student out there who can interpret this into simple English;)

"The existing “FourRecallRule†will continue to be applicable,but only during the period between the Trade Deadline and the end of the Regular Season. Following the conclusion of the NHL Regular Season, a Club may exercise an unlimited number of additional Regular Recalls provided that it may have no more than three (3) Players on its Active Roster who were recalled by way of Regular Recall after the Trade Deadline, unless the fourth Player had been recalled during the Regular Season in which casesuch Player may remain in the NHL."

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This kid has all the tools to be an ideal 3rd line centre for us next season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I think he's up..

If Lupul is out for an extended time, I think he'll get a shot and we'll move someone to wing.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
This is the wording on the CBA...is there a law student out there who can interpret this into simple English;)

"The existing “FourRecallRule†will continue to be applicable,but only during the period between the Trade Deadline and the end of the Regular Season. Following the conclusion of the NHL Regular Season, a Club may exercise an unlimited number of additional Regular Recalls provided that it may have no more than three (3) Players on its Active Roster who were recalled by way of Regular Recall after the Trade Deadline, unless the fourth Player had been recalled during the Regular Season in which casesuch Player may remain in the NHL."

Sounds like no change to me. The way I interpret it is that you still only get 4 recalls. The 'unlimited number of additional Regular Recalls' to me is referring to the cases of players being injured or sick where you have to recall someone to fill out your roster.

Colborne was called up because McLaren may not have been able to play but he ended up playing, so I have no idea if that counts as a regular recall or one of the 4.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would like to see Colborne and Frattin ignite some Marlie magic they have previously had. Orr playing the right side, Frattin to the Left wing.

mikebel111*

Colborne apparently practicing with Frattin and Hamilton/Orr/Mclaren on the 4th line today.

yeah, claude confirmed that he will travel with the team to NJ.
don't know if I like him on 4th line, but he might not even play

if he does play, 2 of hamilton, orr and maclaren will not play

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
yeah, claude confirmed that he will travel with the team to NJ.
don't know if I like him on 4th line, but he might not even play

if he does play, 2 of hamilton, orr and maclaren will not play

I would like to see a future a line of Coborne, Frattin and Grabo on the wing tried. Grabo playing with 2 young guys that are hungry and that have size could be a good match.

Somthing to ponder, if Joe can get Grabo and Frattin going, this will take a lot of pressure off our top 2 lines.

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
Seriously I'm tired of Hamilton. He's doing as good of a job as he can, but obviously as hit his ceiling. I would much rather try Colborne in his spot.

What do we have to lose to try him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad