TSN: Leafs recall Joe Colborne

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't see it, Grabo is not a playmaker, he wants the puck, the problem with this is it would take the puck away from a far superior creative player as Kessel. He is also small, he is willing but often plays the game from the seat of his pants. Why would be want 2 players that are not physically strong on one line? Kessel needs a player that isn't puck dominant, someone to get him the puck, with some size and someone without an ego to be the show on the line, there is a reason why Kessel likes playing with Bozak, and a reason why players do not like playing with Grabo. ie. Blake and Kule probably feels the same way now the way he has played with Kadri of late.

Kessel's what, tied for 5th in assists league-wide? He's just as comfortable playing setup man as he is playing finisher, and routinely makes his linemates look great. Guy's a dynamic talent.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
In Nonis' press conference yesterday which I watched, he was asked about and confirmed this 4 recall rule that still exists in the new CBA.

I'm sure there is a source on-line that has the PC streamed that will confirm this.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dave-nonis-press-conference/

Yeh and a GM offer sheet-ed a guy would would have to go through waivers. They don't know everything. Maybe it is still the rule but I wouldn't go by what Nonis says as the gospel.

Nonis is a GM. He mostly relies on what people who work for him tell him.

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
Mistake in my opinion, but I know they're just assesing how he'll do in the NHL

From watching him in the marlies, I've said it before, he doesn't follow the play fast enough, lacks creativity, doesn't skate hard enough and you won't believe he's 6'5 by how he plays. BUt wishing he does well!

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
We have to see what he can offer this year so we don't risk calling him up to early and lose him on waivers next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel's what, tied for 5th in assists league-wide? He's just as comfortable playing setup man as he is playing finisher, and routinely makes his linemates look great. Guy's a dynamic talent.

If you remove Boston from the league Kessel has been a terrific player for us the past 2 seasons, I don't think he needs a #1C as everyone thinks, he is a player that can create on his own. He's not dependent on a Center to produce.

What he does need is JVR driving to the net, the line works when JVR is not sleeping.

I watched the Philly game last night, and Luke Schenn looked worst than any defender that has played with Toronto this year. He looked like Gardiner defensively without the assets Gardiner brings offensively.

Anything JVR can bring to the table, even if he sleeps the odd game, is better. But I sure hope he can up his effort level as the year goes on, and the Bozak line will be a vital force for us as we burn the boats moving fwd.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Leafs need to sign Bozak. Kessel will walk if we dont. We need to rid ourselves of Grabovski.

Our Centers should be: Kadri, Bozak, Colborne, McClement.

The days of the KGM line are gone. Kuli is a staple on Kadri's line and Mac is unlikely to be re-signed IMO.

Grabo has a better, larger body of work(and contract) how about we let Joe play more than a shift before we crown him Grabo's replacement. These playoffs will be a huge factor in determining grabo's future as well.

Edit: Also I doubt McLaren has the flu, more like his face is cut up, his knuckles are destroyed and RC is giving him an extra few days to heal up before he gets ready for the final grind of the season. We will need him at 100% especially if we get Boston in the first round.

Last edited:

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
Bozak as a UFA deserves $4 mil a year easily. someone will probably give him $5 mil for 4-5 years if we don't lock him up ourselves.

and he should be re-signed because he's a really good fit on this specific team. i think another team getting him at $4.5 mil a year would end up a bit disappointed, but we would not.

as for the topic at hand, good for Colborne. agreed that it'd be nice to get him a game - never a bad thing to add an enthusiastic call-up to spark the lineup for a bit!

LOL!

First of all lets look at his +/- since he's so defencively responsible? I think he's been a '-' player his whole career. And more often than not he's a '-' player.

Second of all any player you put in Bozak's place over the past 3 years would do good. He's been playing with Kessel and our other 1st line winger every year. He's getting so much ice time and playing with the best. Go look at Ponikarovsky, Jason Blake, Hagman, Stajan stats when they were our first line players. Anyone will do good in that position. Heck put Mclement as your first line centre and you'll be amazed at how many points he gets and he's better defencivelly than Bozak in my opinion.

He's still a decent player, but 3mil/year is fair. Nothing more for Bozy. If he wants more he's easily replaceable.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I don't mind him seeing some time in the playoffs. I think Joe has value to the organization and it'd be great to see him in some playoff type hockey near the end of the season.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Grabo's compete level is extremely high. He may be a key piece, come playoff time.

If he steps up, it may make Bozak easily expendable, and allow Joe to compete for the 3C spot out of camp next year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Grabo has a better, larger body of work(and contract) how about we let Joe play more than a shift before we crown him Grabo's replacement. These playoffs will be a huge factor in determining grabo's future as well.

Recent body of work is not good, the best teams learn to adjust or they fall. Some people wanted Roy, but he hasn't been the same player he was 2 years ago. It comes down to making the right call, that's what coaches and Gm's are paid for. Past is the past, recency is just as important.

Nonis said he could have made a few more deals for picks yesterday, but he viewed these players as past their best before dates.

Haven't we learned by Connolly and Komi type acquisitions already?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
LOL!

First of all lets look at his +/- since he's so defencively responsible? I think he's been a '-' player his whole career. And more often than not he's a '-' player.

Second of all any player you put in Bozak's place over the past 3 years would do good. He's been playing with Kessel and our other 1st line winger every year. He's getting so much ice time and playing with the best. Go look at Ponikarovsky, Jason Blake, Hagman, Stajan stats when they were our first line players. Anyone will do good in that position. Heck put Mclement as your first line centre and you'll be amazed at how many points he gets and he's better defencivelly than Bozak in my opinion.

He's still a decent player, but 3mil/year is fair. Nothing more for Bozy. If he wants more he's easily replaceable.

Between Mac and Bozak I would not be spending more then 7m. However you slice that you slice it but no more then 7 for both.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Between Mac and Bozak I would not be spending more then 7m. However you slice that you slice it but no more then 7 for both.

I know you like him, but a compliance buy out of Grabo is likely if we cannot deal him. That will free up 5.5 for Mac or Bozak or both. I would rather have Mac and Bozak than Grabo who is not going to replace Kadri, and is not a fit with Kessel. The cap will be reasonable when Grabo is bought out.

mikebel111*

Wow, just looked at gdt, that's how I found out Joe was recalled
Pumped for him

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I know you like him, but a compliance buy out of Grabo is likely if we cannot deal him. That will free up 5.5 for Mac or Bozak or both. I would rather have Mac and Bozak than Grabo who is not going to replace Kadri, and is not a fit with Kessel. The cap will be reasonable when Grabo is bought out.

Can not see Grabo getting bought out.....traded yes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Quality C, short season adjusted to playing against top lines. Does not perform as per contract he earned playing 2C. Is playing hard past 10 games .40 PPG pace does not have 0 goals on the year.

HFBoards: Buy him out.

That's a joke best one of the year tbh. lol

conway902

Feb 4, 2012

You can't say that, Kessel is only supposed to score goals. His Assists don't count:sarcasm:

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Very excited to watch Colborne play. If he shows he can belong in the NHL we can officially say goodbye to Bozak barring a tremendous playoff performance.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

With Bozak up in the air,Grabo offers some insurance from blackmail and will likely be back next year.A year from now however,TO. could offer to eat $2 million per year off his contract,making him attractive to other teams at $3.5 million for 3 years.Grabo hasn't had his best year here but can redeem himself in the playoffs and all will be forgotten.

Colborne is up to give Bozak a nudge,I doubt Nonnis will match a $4 million long term offer from another GM.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With Bozak up in the air,Grabo offers some insurance from blackmail and will likely be back next year.A year from now however,TO. could offer to eat $2 million per year off his contract,making him attractive to other teams at $3.5 million for 3 years.Grabo hasn't had his best year here but can redeem himself in the playoffs and all will be forgotten.

Why? We can trade him for a decent package without eating any salary.

Eating salary is a last resort type scenario

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Colborne is up to give Bozak a nudge,I doubt Nonnis will match a $4 million long term offer from another GM.

Bozak should not get a long term offer from another GM of 4 million a year....IMHO. Colborne is up in my opinion because Carlyle wants to see him play in the NHL now. He is a big body and if he plays like he is a big body, Carlyle may have a use for him come the playoffs. Lots of players are candidates to lose ice time as a result if he does play well. Frattin, Mac, Grabo, JVR as they currently are not producing. I say he would likely be playing in place of Frattin right now and we can take it from there.

He is not here to give Boazk a nudge in my opinion....

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

he has better #'s than erat, plays a harder position and he got forsberg. i dont know Erats contract but i think we can get a 1st for him easily... people are overreacting. (not saying it will happen but grabo for one of calgarys late 1st at the draft)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad