Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Marincin on a 1 year deal

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Marincin is suddenly now a low cost, useful 7th NHL D man, why does he keep clearing waivers time after time? Odd disconnect.

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
Leafs management have a different opinion of Marincin then the rest of the NHL.

Marincin goes up and down clearing NHL waivers now on multiple occasions unclaimed, but Leafs see him as good/solid depth dman that can play in the #6/7 role on the Leafs, thus the reason for the re-signing.

All NHL teams have their own Martin Marincin level depth players in their organizations already, so familiarity with team, and system plays a part in these types of decisions for organizations.

Leafs attempted to upgrade on Marincin this summer with Ben Harpur, Kevin Gravel and Jordan Schmaltz but went down swinging in that attempt, as Marincin prevailed to remain the best option, proving the grass isn't always greener.

Never say never to Martin Marincin.

Reactions: Ciao

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Haters must have someone to hate!
Exactly, the guy is a #7 or #8 dman on a defensively poor team that makes a lot of fine defensive plays and is challenged otherwise, what more can you expect?
He has confidence problems, all the hate he gets is just counterproductive.
Maybe if everybody were to send him a card...

Reactions: Al14

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why on earth should anyone on this board care if a contract is a 1 way or 2 way deal? It has zero baring on the players cap impact on the team
just replying to a post that basically said other teams have similar players but on cheaper deals

no need to shoot the messenger

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If Marincin is suddenly now a low cost, useful 7th NHL D man, why does he keep clearing waivers time after time? Odd disconnect.

I know the others have answered, but each team has their own 7th D.

For example, Tampa Bay has Luke Schenn as their 7D this season (coming in when there are injuries). He's been passed along on waivers multiple times, but why hasn't he been picked up if he's 7th NHL D man on one of the top teams?

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I don't know why people hate on Marincin so much. First of all, this is a $700k deal for a guy who can easily be sent down, so it isn't a bad deal in that sense.

However, I'd argue it is actually a pretty good deal. Is Marincin a top four defender? Absolutely not. But he's definitely a replacement level guy, who can slide into your 6-7 role. He gaps up at the blueline well, uses his reach effectively, and is overall, relatively reliable defensively on a third pairing. The mistakes come when he has too much time to move the puck, and can't just unconsciously move it in a short play as part of a system/breakout. His skating is fine, his defensive game is fine, and the thing I really like about him is that he is one of the better PK defenders in the league. I'd argue, he's the best defender we have for killing penalties actually, if not right behind Muzzin.

On a team that needs cheap depth to survive, and also is lacking in defenders who can kill penalties, this is a solid extension. Not to mention, he's a guy who wants to be here, is willing to play the role the Leafs have set out for him, and fits in well with the current management & coaching group.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He clears waivers because he stinks. He clears waivers repeatedly because he stinks. He stinks. Turd polishing.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Leafs fans have always had weirdly high standards for #6-8 guys. They aren't top four quality, players, why expect them to play at that level?

Hes always had above average underlying numbers too. Lot of fuss about nothing

I think its just Toronto fans in general not everyone has to be a superstar.

You hear the same thing for the Blue Jays for there 5th starters, LOOGY or other inning eating guys in the bullpen.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He sat out 19 games and came in to play well. He deserves the same distinction as everyone else as to “What have you done for us lately”.

With that question in mind, he’s been great! Let it be known that i have never likely said a good word about him previously. He’s looked like a different player since camp started. I believe he has to only use his friend the wall and eat some pucks on the wall and battle like his career is on the line every shift.

He is a way better player this year and deserves credit so i am giving him credit. He’s put a very nice season together. Scary panic plays are basically gone from his game just like that??? He’s evolved i guess. Awesome for him and us.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Cheap depth sticks around. I know many people don't like him but he's pretty good for a #7-8D.

This is correct and should have been EOT/

He's a very solid 7th/8th option. Likes the city, doesn't complain when he's with the Marlies. There's nothing to complain about here but I know how this thread will go...

This is correct as well. And because I do know how this thread will go, I'm not reading beyond the 1st page.

Huge game tonight. GLG!!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
upload_2020-1-12_11-59-6.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad