Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Marincin on a 1 year deal

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Passable depth piece. He's frustrating to watch at times but for league minimum at least he's a known quantity. Let's hope there's 6 or 7 guys positioned ahead of him by the start of next season

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I thought it was Babcock that liked Marty, but it looks like it was Dubas

Keefe loves him too lol.

He used Marincin as the top shutdown guy in the AHL, and then put him on the shutdown pair in the NHL (I don't agree with that decision but whatever).

He's not signed to be a NHL regular but as an extra 7D that can be scratched throughout the season without any complaints. Not sure why anyone would be pissed at this.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe joined Tim and Sid to talk about the team re-signing depth defenseman Martin Marincin, and why the organization feels good about the extension.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Haha! What a legend! I can't help but like Marincin. He knows his strengths and limitations and has a very practical and well-thought-out view of his career trajectory. It's refreshing to see a player with such a small ego. He has a good thing going over here playing half (or less) of a season with the Leafs, playing some games with the Marlies, and chilling in the press box. He gets paid $700,000 to do this, hang out with his friends, and live in a city he likes. Sure he can gamble with his career, but may end up in Allentown or Binghampton and hate his life. LOL. This man is smart. He's probably investing his money well or planning to get a degree when this is all over. Not a dumb jock. Oh, he's also a solid 7/8 d-man.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
upload_2020-1-11_8-30-33.gif

Reactions: Nooodles

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I just don't understand why Dubas doesn't factor in how fans feel about a player when he makes decisions like this
I personally am very thankful our GM is smart enough not to make decisions based on the random opinions of fans... millions of fans who all have different viewpoints. What is he going to poll the public and let fan trends dictate signings? Or maybe Dubas should just listen to you?

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
Marincin is very good. Those who knock him have no idea what they're talking about

Marincin career highlight reel.....

Reactions: Ciao

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs management have a different opinion of Marincin then the rest of the NHL.

Marincin goes up and down clearing NHL waivers now on multiple occasions unclaimed, but Leafs see him as good/solid depth dman that can play in the #6/7 role on the Leafs, thus the reason for the re-signing.

All NHL teams have their own Martin Marincin level depth players in their organizations already, so familiarity with team, and system plays a part in these types of decisions for organizations.

Leafs attempted to upgrade on Marincin this summer with Ben Harpur, Kevin Gravel and Jordan Schmaltz but went down swinging in that attempt, as Marincin prevailed to remain the best option, proving the grass isn't always greener.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He is a like a gnat at a bbq, keeps buggin the f*** outta me. But seriously, he is just a depth guy. I really don't care. I don't care if they are spending $700,000 on him or some other scrub. It's irrelevant. Somebody needs to play the role of a 7th/8th D, right?

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad