Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Marincin on a 1 year deal

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
How anyone can wish Marv gone is beyond me. He takes up space and can skate reasonably well. I genuinely see incremental improvements each year in terms of positioning and assertiveness. It's literally league minimum.

Real question: who lasts longer as a Leaf - Rielly or Marincin? :laugh:

The earth will be a steaming pile of nuclear wasteland and he will still be sitting in the press box waiting for his call.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Lets put it this way, at the very least he's a good LHD for the Marlies considering that their only other option for next year could be Rubins if Kivihalme books it back to Finland.

Sandin should be playing with the big club and guys like Harpur and Gravel will be gone.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm not really bothered by it. More like "doesn't Dubas have more pressing priorities than extending Marincin?" I'm sure it didn't take up too much time but...do we really need to focus on Marincin right now?

Oh well. It's done and the era of Marincin continues. He will be a career Leaf, I have no doubt about it.

How do you know he hasn't already been working out potential deals with our UFA D?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lets put it this way, at the very least he's a good LHD for the Marlies considering that their only other option for next year could be Rubins if Kivihalme books it back to Finland.

Sandin should be playing with the big club and guys like Harpur and Gravel will be gone.
Our defence for next year assuming no Barrie or Muzzin.

Rielly-??
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Lilly

I expect Dubas to try and sign Muzzin. I also believe he does something big with our defence. Maybe not at the deadline but the off season for sure.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Given that he has been a 7th D here for like 5 years, you are reading into nothing IMO. He's an extra D who is cheap and they know he can fill in for injuries.
that's true, I just wonder because of the handedness, with Muzzin you would already have 4 roster LHD. RH Marincin's are out there for nothing so the 7th D/1st call up role would be better served as a RH guy if Muzzin was around

but you're right, it's definitely not enough info to make any determination

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I am not a fan of him... but at basically the lowest price tag on a 1 year deal its fine.

He won't see the NHL next year unless we have a couple injuries... which is likely but hopefully for very short stints.

Leafs just unfortunately don't have many options unless they swing a trade... or let Barrie and Muzzin go and get Pietrangelo... or sign just one of Muzz or Barrie.

I just hope they let both Lilly, and Sandin up... either 1 this year... and maybe both by next year.

I get some don't agree with 2 young guys on D, but again... not alot of options.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Rielly-??
Dermott-??
Sandin-Lilly

I expect Dubas to try and sign Muzzin. I also believe he does something big with our defence. Maybe not at the deadline but the off season for sure.

I could see Muzzin come back if Dermott is a piece needed in a trade for a big RHD.

For some reason I see Doughty moved this offseason with a few million retained. Could see a lesser guy like Burns go as well since that Karlsson deal will be impossible to move. If Florida misses the playoffs then maybe they consider an Ekblad move. Jones is likely off the table with Columbus pushing for a spot.

Reactions: stickty111

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Look guys, and people will disagree with me on this. Marincin is a fine #7 depth D man, but this better not mean they feel he will be a regular for them. If it does, I am going to snap.

I think he's being signed for insurance on the blueline, nothing more. For what it's worth though, I think he has shown that he might be capable of handling a regular role on the 3rd pairing and the PK moving forward.

He has improved noticeably this season compared to years past.

Reactions: Kiwi and stickty111

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Rielly-??
Dermott-??
Sandin-Lilly

You forgot Holl.....

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think he's being signed for insurance on the blueline, nothing more. For what it's worth though, I think he has shown that he might be capable of handling a regular role on the 3rd pairing and the PK moving forward.

He has improved noticeably this season compared to years past.
Yup. I think Keefe likes him as well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm fine with it

Marincin isn't great but he's cheap and can do a job as a #7, press box injury replacement type, he's also good when he plays for the Marlies

Zero downside

Reactions: kb

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The only thing I can think of is meeting requirements for players to expose in the Seattle draft next year?

Unless you don't expect to acquire any upgrade moving forward, or sign anyone then Holl is likely #4 and exposed(and probably taken), Rielly, ?, Dermott, Holl. This is nothing more than someone has to be the 7 D, cap is going to be tight so Marincin for league min fills that role fine.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Nothing wrong with this. With pending UFAs on D, uncertainty of what future may hold, it's good to get it out of the way. Marincin has been here a long time now, I'm confident in saying the organization values him in some way.

Our Top6 D going forward next year should be:

Rielly - UFA
Dermott - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

No need to sign UFAs Muzzin & Barrie, maybe go after another one first ;)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As long as they make sure they can squeeze in McDavid when he comes home. Hopefully he will do like Tavares and take a discount :P
MCDavid will come home and sign 1mil/yr and stated that he already made 100mil in his life time

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
As long as they make sure they can squeeze in McDavid when he comes home. Hopefully he will do like Tavares and take a discount :P
But McDavid said he "loves playing here but at the same time he also loves to leave Toronto."

It was a peculiar choice of words used post-game. Didn't really seem like him but he sorta took a shot.

Does that mean he wouldn't want to be a Maple Leaf?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The thing I would wonder is why for at least 2 years now haven't the pro scouts been recommending trading for, or signing other player for the depth spots.

Perhaps someone different who can actually push into team rather than only plays through other being injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad