Confirmed with Link: Leafs Promote Dave Morrison & Troy Bodie, Hire Wes Clark as Assistant Dir. Of Player Personnel

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, it could be a clearly important scouting role, but at the moment we have no idea what it is. I had heard earlier in the week, Wes Clark was out offering scouting positions to people. If one of those hires happens, it means he has significant say in how the scouting department will operate going forward. If this hire happens, you will all know what I am talking about.
I'm getting the feeling you're friends with scouts who know Hunter.

I hope they don't all leave, I like to hear the insider info from you.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This role is highly unclear. We will need to see what the full pecking order looks like in 6 or so weeks before the Gretzky Cup starts (the first big scouting event of the year, and when everything should be set by). Right now, we are looking at a quarter of the picture.

I assume, the order as of now is something like; (not sure where to place Reid Mitchell or Brad Lynn in there.

President: Shanny
GM: Dubas
AGMs: Pridham/Gilman
DOPP: Morrison
ADOPP: Clark
Dir. Player Eval: Paliafito
Regional Dir. Scouting: Lilley/Hofford/Speltz/Vuori
Dir. Pro Scouting: Bodie

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh ok, why was it you don’t like Wes Clark if he has too much say in scouting again? Is it you just think he isn’t very good? Little worrying if that’s the case
I don't think he's qualified for a high-up position. Hunter and Lou pretty strongly agreed on that. But, like when I don't like a prospect a team picks, I hope that Wes Clark proves me wrong and is as good as Dubas thinks he is.

If he is seriously involved in running our draft board, I question it, as I don't think he really has the experience. There is nothing blatantly I could easily pin on him. I mean, I seriously disagree with what Flordia did in his region last year, but I can't fully fault him for Tippett over Vilardi this early on. It just reeks of an old boys network type higher, just with new school guys.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So, it appears to be a scouting position and a high-up one at that.

It is, but Hunter was also Director of Scouting. I do not know if Morrison is also getting that job.

It sounds more like his job is Director of Player Evaluation, which is what Paliafito was doing. That is something I can see Morrison and Clark doing well with. It'll be interesting to see if the Leafs are going to eliminate that role and merge it into Player Personnel with Morrison and Clark. Paliafito could follow Hunter elsewhere, or maybe finds another role within the organization.

I still think there will be a guy who handles more of the scouting duties, while these guys handle more of Paliafito's duties.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If Wes Clark isn't our director of scouting or the main guy for Ontario, Dubas can put his buddies where ever the hell he wants in the organization. Although, there is going to be a bigger fallout and moves to come.

why?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I assume, the order as of now is something like; (not sure where to place Reid Mitchell or Brad Lynn in there.

President: Shanny
GM: Dubas
AGMs: Pridham/Gilman
DOPP: Morrison
ADOPP: Clark
Dir. Player Eval: Paliafito
Regional Dir. Scouting: Lilley/Hofford/Speltz/Vuori
Dir. Pro Scouting: Bodie
I heard talk of Speltz being promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting, that would help appease Babcock (Babcock brought Speltz to Hunter and Lou's attention when the recruitment of Kelly McCrimmon failed).

I think we will still see a purge of some sort on the Ontario guys. I really can't see Hofford staying, but Dubas may have insulated himself from the appearance of firing them, by having Clark or Morrison do it, and then justify by saying they want to bring in their own guys. Although, I'm not sure I want Lindsey Hofford running Ontario without Mark's oversight (because realistically, Mark ran that region).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm getting the feeling you're friends with scouts who know Hunter.

I hope they don't all leave, I like to hear the insider info from you.
I'll hear stuff. I'll say it now. Expect a very surprising hire in our scouting department in the next couple days. I can't say the name, but if it happens you'll realize immediately what I was talking about.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It is, but Hunter was also Director of Scouting. I do not know if Morrison is also getting that job.

It sounds more like his job is Director of Player Evaluation, which is what Paliafito was doing. That is something I can see Morrison and Clark doing well with. It'll be interesting to see if the Leafs are going to eliminate that role and merge it into Player Personnel with Morrison and Clark. Paliafito could follow Hunter elsewhere, or maybe finds another role within the organization.

I still think there will be a guy who handles more of the scouting duties, while these guys handle more of Paliafito's duties.
Paliafito role had major scouting for us. Mark used to send him to Russia all the time to cross check the Euro guys. He had a large oversight, as he didn't live in a major scouting area, so he was traveling all the time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Paliafito role had major scouting for us. Mark used to send him to Russia all the time to cross check the Euro guys. He had a large oversight, as he didn't live in a major scouting area, so he was traveling all the time.

I thought he was just the opener. Regardless, there is no reason why Morrison is not capable of doing that as well.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'll hear stuff. I'll say it now. Expect a very surprising hire in our scouting department in the next couple days. I can't say the name, but if it happens you'll realize immediately what I was talking about.

Do you think the reaction to this surprise will be positive or negative?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Is that right? 6 Leaf GMs?

Probably counting his time as an amateur scout and in-terms.

Quinn: Amateur Scout
JFJ: Promoted to Director of Amateur scouting
Burke: Retained role
Nonis: Retained role
Lou: Demoted to Pro Scouting
Dubas: Promoted to Director of Player Personnel.

Reactions: Liminality

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Am I remembering this wrong or was Bodie criticised roundly for only being hired as a favor because he was married to someone related to Burke somehow?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Am I remembering this wrong or was Bodie criticised roundly for only being hired as a favor because he was married to someone related to Burke somehow?

He was hired under Shanahan, but he was brought in as a player under Nonis. I think that is the relation (he married his sister or something), but the current management has no relation to him right now.

EDIT: Married the daughter of Tim Leiweike, who is not longer with MLSE.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
How do you figure that exactly?

It's not like our scouting was the gold standard to begin with.

we really havent had a great draft under hunter what so ever. The love for the guy is beyond me at least 3 of our picks didnt get contracts already and hunter was only in charge of 2 drafts. this idead we got worse because we lost hunter is absurd

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Probably counting his time as an amateur scout and in-terms.

Quinn: Amateur Scout
JFJ: Promoted to Director of Amateur scouting
Burke: Retained role
Nonis: Retained role
Lou: Demoted to Pro Scouting
Dubas: Promoted to Director of Player Personnel.

Jesus, he's like a cockroach, you just can't kill the bugger

I don't hate the guy honestly, he did some stuff I didn't agree with but he had to deal with some absolute Muppets telling him what they wanted him to do

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
we really havent had a great draft under hunter what so ever. The love for the guy is beyond me at least 3 of our picks didnt get contracts already and hunter was only in charge of 2 drafts. this idead we got worse because we lost hunter is absurd
He was in charge of 3 drafts. And, he drafted better than anyone else for the Leafs in forever. Even turning the Leafs scouting staff into an average drafting team with our history was an accomplishment.

People are dramatically over exaggerating how many guys gets ELC's (especially out of juniors). Also, ignoring, it was Dubas who decided not to give them ELC's (it may have been different with Lou or Hunter), and not looking at the average return for each pick.

What's the standard we now hold for Dubas for this draft? Should we be expecting at least two bonafide NHLers from Sandin, Durzi, SDA, Stotts, Hollowell, etc?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was in charge of 3 drafts. And, he drafted better than anyone else for the Leafs in forever. Even turning the Leafs scouting staff into an average drafting team with our history was an accomplishment.

People are dramatically over exaggerating how many guys gets ELC's (especially out of juniors). Also, ignoring, it was Dubas who decided not to give them ELC's (it may have been different with Lou or Hunter), and not looking at the average return for each pick.

What's the standard we now hold for Dubas for this draft? Should we be expecting at least two bonafide NHLers from Sandin, Durzi, SDA, Stotts, Hollowell, etc?

he did ok, just ok to borrow a phrase. he certainly isnt some super scout he is made out to be. I mean there are alot of people who say dubas ran the 2015 draft and the small skilled players and move back in the draft looks like dubas type moves. Sure hunter was here but can we 100% say that was his draft? All but 2 of that draft are still in the system. 2016 is actually 4 players gone already.

My overall point isnt to shit on hunter, its just that he is a bang average scout that all teams have not some super scout that alot (im not saying you) of people make him out to be

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Oh man I completely forgot troy brodie used to be a hockey player. I think its cuz he played for 13-15 leafs. Those 13-14, and 14-15 leaf teams were just terrible. Good for him on getting a higher up position. Wes Clark is a dubas guy and I'm starting to become more pro-dubas now so hoping he can become a quality piece for our front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad