Confirmed with Link: Leafs Promote Dave Morrison & Troy Bodie, Hire Wes Clark as Assistant Dir. Of Player Personnel

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
They were thinking let’s hope we can find a giant d it’s great if it could pay off but we put 6 picks into those giants 3 are gone already one just went to the khl (I like rasanen he has some sembelence of skill) 1 has personal issues and has dropped behind the development curve and the last one is doing ok at best. Smaller skill players fail all the same but these guys seemed mostly destined to fail overall
Which ones are gone?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
To be fair to Morrison lets actually analyze his draft history.

In the one draft, he didn't have Burke or Nonis to answer (who many claim led him astray), which is possible. He took Luke Schenn at 5, but in fairness to him, he also took Anton Stralman in the 7th. If Stralman was a 5th overall pick and had his career, it'd be a solid single. Outside of that, nothing of significance happened. Under Burke and Nonis, he could hit on top 10 picks, with Kadri, Rielly, and Nylander. Past that, it was an unmitigated disaster for the most part. Outside of having some Bergman picks bail him out (Johansson, Komarov, and Gunnarson), he had one very good hit with Connor Brown in the 6th. But, in most cases, whenever he wasn't picking in the top 10, it was a mess. Biggs, Percy, and Gauthier all in the 20 to 30 range. Matt Finn, Jesse Blacker, Brad Ross, Kenny Ryan, and Jimmy Hayes in the 2nd. Now, I don't expect guys to hit on every pick. But, he produced one guy who is a legitimate NHLer in the 20-60 range, and at his best is a 3rd liner, who is a journeyman. Now, do I think Burke set a mandate that likely led to us drafting girt guys like Biggs, Brad Ross, and Kenny Ryan? Absolutely. But, he also missed on non-grit picks in that range, in Finn, Blacker, Percy, and Gauthier (he's sort of middle ground). The only significant hits he had were from the European side (but he still deserves credit). The two best NA players drafted outside the top 10 is Connor Brown, the next best Matt Frattin, Jimmy Hayes and Josh Leivo. Another thing is, look at how Anaheim drafted when Burke was there, they had similar issues.

The main takeaway is, while Burke may be at fault, but arguably the biggest miss on the resume is probably drafting a guy who turned into a bottom pairing defender 5th overall, which happened pre-Burke. Although Biggs busted in impressive fashion I'd say the odds of a player outright busting in the 20s, is probably significantly higher than not getting at least a top 9 forward, top 4 d or starting goalie in the top 5.

Hopefully, for our sake, the issues with the drafts from 2007 until 2014, were mandate issues or the incompetence of scouts below him.

To put it in perspective, in Hunter's 3-year reign, we have probably drafted a better player than Morrison did in 20-40 range over around 10. Although, if you want, you can make an argument Morrison was still our Director of Amateur Scouting for the 2015 draft, as the scouting purge didn't officially happen until July of 2015. Although, I doubt his opinion meant much at that draft, as Mark and Hofford were clearly the guys running the draft.

So, as a fan, let's hope that Morrison's issues were more mandate based and that he actually had a say in the 2015 draft. But, it is pretty troubling that in 3 drafts, having a total of 4 picks between 20-60, he drafted a player better than Morrison did in 8. You can explain away some of that mess by the fact Burke and Leafs management constantly traded 2nd round picks, which gave him fewer bullets. Now, Hunter never had a late-round pick like Stralman and to a lesser extent Brown or even Johansson (but these guys could take awhile to emerge). Also, keep in mind, from 2000 to 2004 (prior to Morrison even being on the staff), we did very well in the 20-60 range. Drafting a very good player in Steen, a guy who got 1000 NHL games (even if he's a 4th liner for a bunch of them) in Stajan, and Brad Boyes (a solid but not spectacular player who was a journeyman), in 6 picks. In the time between Morrison actually being on the staff but not being the Director of Scouting, we took Tuukka Rask in the 20-60 range. We also took Tlutsy at 13.

What about Kulemin?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One other angle with Morrison, it doesn't suggest some big changes in direction or philosophy. Have to admit, it's a head scratcher move, his track record isn't good at all imho. This move in isolation, gets a Dubas thumbs down from me.

While I have no love of Morrison, I think the reasons Dubas (like Hunter before him) opted to keep him on is because he’s willing to fully embrace whatever he’s told to.

His drafting during the Burke-Nonis years was absolutely horrible, but I do remember a couple interviews of Morrison getting a little defensive stating that he has to follow certain mandates/philosophies from whomever the Gm is (and Burke for example made no secret what he liked in prospects - truculence). I remember him also complaining that management traded too many 1st and 2nd round picks. That’s not to excuse his bad picks, but I wonder how much he was to blame for some of this

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
While I have no love of Morrison, I think the reasons Dubas (like Hunter before him) opted to keep him on is because he’s willing to fully embrace whatever he’s told to.

He drafting during the Burke-Nonis years was absolutely horrible, but I do remember a couple interviews of Morrison getting a little defensive stating that he has to follow certain mandates/philosophies from whomever he Gam is (and Burke for example made no secret what he liked in prospects - truculence). I remember him also complaining that management traded too many 1st and 2nd round picks. That’s not to excuse his bad picks, but I wonder how much he was to blame for some of this
Agreed. But he didn't even draft good truculence ;). He must bring something to the table because successive regimes keep him around....at least with this gig, really Dubas will rely on himself for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

He drafting during the Burke-Nonis years was absolutely horrible, but I do remember a couple interviews of Morrison getting a little defensive stating that he has to follow certain mandates/philosophies from whomever he Gam is (and Burke for example made no secret what he liked in prospects - truculence). I remember him also complaining that management traded too many 1st and 2nd round picks. That’s not to excuse his bad picks, but I wonder how much he was to blame for some of this

Seems like he must have good mind for the game and a good head on his shoulders, but he doesn't really have a specific area where he really excels. It's really hard to say though, because he was always just far enough down the totem pole that we don't really have a good handle on what he's been responsible for.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

My take on Morrison is fairly simple. When Shanahan came on board they went through the work of everyone in the scouting department, and anyone whose work wasn't of a high standard was let go. Morrison was not let go, even though they did opt to move him. That to me is the single best piece of evidence we have.

Reactions: garce and Menzinger

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

His drafting during the Burke-Nonis years was absolutely horrible, but I do remember a couple interviews of Morrison getting a little defensive stating that he has to follow certain mandates/philosophies from whomever the Gm is (and Burke for example made no secret what he liked in prospects - truculence). I remember him also complaining that management traded too many 1st and 2nd round picks. That’s not to excuse his bad picks, but I wonder how much he was to blame for some of this
He still drafted Luke Schenn top 5 when he had pretty much free reign.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Which was exactly where Luke Schenn was expected to go.

Luke Schenn is also exbihit A in how to poorly develop a defenseman. We didnt help him along one bit.

yep. Schenn went exactly where he was rated, at the 5-6 spot. yeah we wrecked him, but the guy is still playing in the league...unlike the other guy ranked at that spot, Filatov, who busted majestically.

Reactions: garce

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
He still drafted Luke Schenn top 5 when he had pretty much free reign.

If you look up that 2008 draft, there wasn't any slum dunk picks after Luke Schenn before Erik Karlsson. Who was long shot at that time. After top4 most players in the first round have played mediocre careers. John Carlson and Jordan Eberle were long shots. Schenn has played over 700 games in the league and Flyers appreciated his potential a lot, because they gave us JVR for him. So I don't see that as a horrible pick. Wasn't great though, but tt was different league back then and size had more meaning.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I think I beat you to the Hunter would quit, but you were pretty much the only other person in that corner with me.

I put out a thread with a poll that said something like "Hunter or Dubas for GM"

I'm a Hunter guy and prefered him over Dubas. I also said he would quit if not named the GM.

I think it was a mistake not naming Hunter as the GM. Compared to Lou he is a young pup...lol

I think Hunter could have a 20 year run as a GM somewhere.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
The promotion of Morrison is a bit shocking. I'm very surprised that a young guy like Dubas would promote an old retread who was in charge of a terrible drafting period during the Burke/Nonis eras.

That said, I'm a huge Burke/Nonis hater and don't know how much they influenced Morrison's drafts. I suspect A LOT.

I assume that Morrison will be a tutor to Dubas' buddy Wes Clarke. Morrison will show him the ropes much like Lamoriello did for Dubas himself. The only difference is that Lou was a teacher with hall of fame credentials including 3 cups. Morrison is a teacher who offers...'experience'...

The Leafs need to hire a stud to head amateur scouting. They have money so why don't the Leafs poach the best scouting executive from the best organizations in hockey? Money talks. Who drafts the best in the NHL? Anaheim, Tampa, Winnipeg, San Jose? I haven't done a study but those teams are pretty good at it. Who are the brains behind those scouting operations? I don't think Stevie Y is making the scouting decisions.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Did anyone know that Troy Bodie is married to Tim Leiweke's daughter
Tim Leiweke left MLSE in October 2015
Troy Bodie retired and was hired by the Leafs as a scout in September 2015

It's good to see that he's continued to work his way up within the organization

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you look up that 2008 draft, there wasn't any slum dunk picks after Luke Schenn before Erik Karlsson. Who was long shot at that time. After top4 most players in the first round have played mediocre careers. John Carlson and Jordan Eberle were long shots. Schenn has played over 700 games in the league and Flyers appreciated his potential a lot, because they gave us JVR for him. So I don't see that as a horrible pick. Wasn't great though, but tt was different league back then and size had more meaning.
I don't think to make a bad pick, because other teams near you made bad picks is a proper justification. The Leafs didn't even draft the best defender on Schenn's team.

Maybe it slightly mitigates it, but it doesn't excuse it. He's up there with the worst top 5 picks since the 2005 lockout with only Yakupov and G. Reinhart being clearly worse, and is comparable with Gudbranson, Pouliot, Ryan Strome, and Dal Colle (too early to fully write off a 2014 pick, but he'll likely be with Yakupov and Reinhart). Ryan Murray has been better but always injured, and Hickey probably resurrected his career better (although, not until after the Kings lost him to waivers). Thankfully, we were bailed out by trade, but that wasn't really Morrison's doing. Hopefully, under new guidance, he can be better, but nothing about his track record says he should have this job again.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The promotion of Morrison is a bit shocking. I'm very surprised that a young guy like Dubas would promote an old retread who was in charge of a terrible drafting period during the Burke/Nonis eras.

That said, I'm a huge Burke/Nonis hater and don't know how much they influenced Morrison's drafts. I suspect A LOT.

I assume that Morrison will be a tutor to Dubas' buddy Wes Clarke. Morrison will show him the ropes much like Lamoriello did for Dubas himself. The only difference is that Lou was a teacher with hall of fame credentials including 3 cups. Morrison is a teacher who offers...'experience'...

The Leafs need to hire a stud to head amateur scouting. They have money so why don't the Leafs poach the best scouting executive from the best organizations in hockey? Money talks. Who drafts the best in the NHL? Anaheim, Tampa, Winnipeg, San Jose? I haven't done a study but those teams are pretty good at it. Who are the brains behind those scouting operations? I don't think Stevie Y is making the scouting decisions.
You can't poach people without it being a clear promotion, unless they are out of contract. And, due to the fact scouts don't make massive salaries, they rarely gamble on long-term security and let their contract lapse. This, in effect, makes it very hard to poach good scouting talent.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
The fact he was demoted during the purge means they saw something they didn't like, but didn't want to full on fire him. We don't know what reason that is. Could be completely legitimate in that he didn't do as bad as we think with all the information available (mandates, etc.) he might be an extremely smooth talker, their might be humane/ethic situations to think about.

Regardless, what we do know is that his drafting has been terrible, and we know he was demoted.

Now he's got a major role in our overall scouting department - and our first draft under it (this past one) didn't exactly blow me away.

My opinion? Our drafting is going to suck. Losing Hunter and his guys is going to hurt that part of our organization for a long time.

I see it as one of the cracks in our armor now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad