McKenzie: "Leafs preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA."

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bobby Mack came out today and said the Leafs are preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA.

Gotta think one idea is a 1 year max deal followed by an 8 year extension as soon as he's eligible.

Bat Bobby Mack said there are several creative proposals for Tavares so what else do you think they might offer?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You could swap "creative" with "unrealistic but will get a lot of clicks".

JT is going to get paid whatever he wants already and there is no benefit to him signing a 1 year deal.

Tor already has 2 incredible top 6 centers, with 2 more elite young wingers, 3 of the 4 who are about to get seriously paid. Its not happening

Jan 21, 2018
Bobby Mack came out today and said the Leafs are preparing several creative proposals for Tavares if he hits UFA.

Gotta think one idea is a 1 year max deal followed by an 8 year extension as soon as he's eligible.

Bat Bobby Mack said there are several creative proposals for Tavares so what else do you think they might offer?

Tavares is not coming to Toronto stop dreaming Leaf fans

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Because every other team in need to a first line center isn't thinking of being creative as say.....offer him a huge contract...

Now, if the Leafs sent him a Switch and turned Tavares into Link and he has to quest the land of Toronule searching for years and term....well that's creative.

Sticks breaking after every shot....epic....

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Will they promise to extend him for 8 years even if he blows out an ACL in the first year?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
You don't turn down a free asset like Tavares over cap space. You sign him and then figure out what you have to move if need be. If they look at their line up and decide you need to make a move for a D, then you trade someone. It would equate to getting Tavares and getting the D you acquire for the price of the asset you give up to get the D. You are essential +1 elite player than you were to begin with.

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You could swap "creative" with "unrealistic but will get a lot of clicks".

Tell-Me-More.gif

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Tavares, Matthew's, and Marner would be fantastic top 3 to build around.

If we get Tavares, Nylander imo becomes available for a d-man.

Getting Tavares makes Nylander expendable, allowing the Leafs to upgrade forward and defense.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Skip it. I’d love to have him but expect a deal with NYI soon. Now that Trotz was stolen by Lou to coach in Long Island. All the pieces are coming together.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
If Bobby Mack is reporting it.. the interest from our end is real. Can’t help but get excited at that, but let’s hold off on the penciling in until he actually hits FA.

Really think we got a good chance tho

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
People will come in here and say "So is every other team!!!"... Well.. MOST other teams cannot Match what the Leafs can offer!

I'm not saying Tavares will sign here, but the Leafs can put in a very competitive bid.

1) We CAN afford paying him >11 mil
2) We CAN compete for the Stanley Cup sooner rather than later
3) Tavares moves back home close to his childhood friends and family
4) Leafs can hire Tavares for life similar to Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark
5) Tavares wouldn't have to shoulder the bulk of the responsibility, we have other stars here too
6) Signing Tavares would not effect our ability to sign our other star players
7) Tavares already has a relationship with our Coach and probably has a good idea on what this team is about
8) Johnny would make a killing off of commercial / advertisments

No other team in the NHL can offer ALL of these things to JT

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
This is anecdotal and only worth so much. I went to the same high school as Tavares and shared some classes with him. From what I gathered at the time (and keep in mind we’re a decade+ later here), he was an extremely quiet, but decent guy. He struck me as someone very loyal and not in love with the spotlight. Several of his Oshawa Generals’ teammates also went to my school, and while many of them loved the spotlight and attention, he made a decided effort to shield himself from it. Now, do I think he grew up wanting to play/be drafted by the Leafs? Probably, yes. Do I think some part of him wants to still play for the Leafs? Probably, yes. But playing for the Leafs is like being under a microscope for 24 hours a day. Everything I saw of him in the flesh and have read from afar as his career has progressed tells me he’s not leaving Long Island.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I honestly cannot stand when people say things like "that doesn't solve their needs!" and "what about the defence!" and "How can they sign player X"

If you can add a franchise center for nothing but cap-space, you do it and figure out the rest later.
Most people don't think they just post the first idiotic thing that pops into their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad