member 262271

Watched 0-0 to 5-1

Brutal
Embarrassing
Slow
Brain dead
Inflexible
Rudderless

And the players weren't very good either.

Can't say this is a one or two off.

They're a good team, that about it.
I didn't see the entire game but I'm rather sure this sums it up. I don't think this team has much of a chance to make noise in the playoffs but they're still a good team. It's going to take time.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Not sure what people on here’s opinions are on the new offside technology, but I’ve seen it ruin far too many games now to be “happy” with how it has changed hockey.

It has to go. It's the new "Foot in the Crease" rule. It slows the game down, and I don't want hockey to become a game of inches with robots and perfect calls every play. I like the element of human error that a ref can bring.

Get rid of the stupid blue line cameras, don't let them challenge offsides anymore, I'm tired of goals getting called back because somebodies toe was off the ground.

It's absolutely Pejorative Slured to watch a team score a goal, celebrate, then we have to wait for whether or not the coach will challenge, then they have to go to Toronto, then they have to announce it. It just instantly kills a game, every damn time.

And you're going to have a situation where somebody scores a big goal in overtime during the playoffs or Stanley Cup, and it gets called back over something trivial, and we're right back to the Dallas vs Buffalo Stanley Cup debacle.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It has to go. It's the new "Foot in the Crease" rule. It slows the game down, and I don't want hockey to become a game of inches with robots and perfect calls every play. I like the element of human error that a ref can bring.

Get rid of the stupid blue line cameras, don't let them challenge offsides anymore, I'm tired of goals getting called back because somebodies toe was off the ground.

It's absolutely ******ed to watch a team score a goal, celebrate, then we have to wait for whether or not the coach will challenge, then they have to go to Toronto, then they have to announce it. It just instantly kills a game, every damn time.

And you're going to have a situation where somebody scores a big goal in overtime during the playoffs or Stanley Cup, and it gets called back over something trivial, and we're right back to the Dallas vs Buffalo Stanley Cup debacle.

Skate shouldn't have to be on the ice for it to be onside. As long as puck is in the zone prior to other player being fully over the blueline with his body then its onside.

The rule is stupid.

Reactions: SoVi3t

member 262271

Did you click on the article?

The article consisted of two letters...

No.
Guilty, god damn it I should've just read it. I went to the comment section and saw people actually arguing about it being a bad idea so I assumed it was legit.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Experience, a year older. Same reason every player gets better when they grow up. Until they hit their peak.

If the reason is only due to defensive depth then the leafs will get some in the off season.

See... this is what I’m talking about.
I’ve been told time and time and time again that the league is all about “young players now” who are on their early 20’sz. That’s the excuse for the Dubas dramatic overpayments.

So the second I say “Ok, it’s a young guys league now. So we’ll go deep in the playoffs , right?”

Nope. We’re “too young”.

There is NO consistency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blanche Blanche

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
ob·ses·sion

/əbˈseSHən/
noun
  1. the state of being obsessed with someone or something.
    "she cared for him with a devotion bordering on obsession"
    • an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.
      plural noun: obsessions
      "he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"
      synonyms:fixation, ruling/consuming passion, passion, mania, idée fixe, compulsion, preoccupation, enthusiasm, infatuation, addiction, fetish, craze, hobby horse
      [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: MarnerElite

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
See... this is what I’m talking about.
I’ve been told time and time and time again that the league is all about lying players now” who are on their early 20’sz. That’s the excuse for the Dubas dramatic overpayments.

So the second I say “Ok, it’s a young guys league now. So we’ll go deep in the playoffs , right?”

Nope. We’re “too young”.

There is NO consistency.

Never said they are too young. Simply said that players get better every year until their peak (For the most part). Really very simple.

You always say there is no consistency, but the only consistency in your posts are that you nitpick to make your point look valid, generally it is not.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This is definitely an emotional low point for me since the Shanahan rebuild . All the other disappointments I chalked up to youth/inexperience. At some point you start thinking maybe it's not that we are too young. Maybe there is something deeper.

How do Matthews and Nylander not show up for a game like that? How do they get dominated by Nelson and Filipula? Year 4 for Nylander. Year 3 for Matthews. H0w can you not figure out you can't shrink here and get crushed in those match ups?

We have had 2 games against the Islanders and Barzal has been way better and more engaged than any of our kids in both of them and he has the least amount of experience.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
What the Isles fans did to Tavares was expected. After all it is NY. They always do things bigger.

The question I have is where were all these fans when Tavares was in NY that cause them to move from Long Island in the first place????

That's what I find hilarious. They can scream they don't need him which is great. Warranted because their team is doing well. But if we are speaking facts, where the hell have these fans been throughout Tavares career in NY? Maybe had they supported the team, ownership wouldn't have done what they did and Tavares would still be there!!!

Good on Tavares for coming home. Not to many players would have done this. So the backlash is expected for any athlete where they have passionate fans. But to me yesterday was NY being NY!!! They had the big stage for Tavares return. Entire hockey world was watching, and they had to stick out like NY people like to do. Lol.

Any other game they draw 10,000 fans if lucky and are still one of the worst set of hockey fans out there.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I agree.

All I was saying in my original post is that goalies like Freddy make big saves when you need them and shift momentum. And I was referring to the 3rd goal (shorthanded one) as a key point in the game. As soon as that goal went in, it was all downhill. Freddy makes those big saves and if he makes that stop and keeps it 2-1 the game could have been totally different.

Ya for sure man (or woman), honestly that no goal second goal for us was what did us in. Up until that point it was a good game and then the team almost looked demoralized after.

All-in-all the boys need to learn from this one and fix a couple mental mistakes and this game could have been alot closer.

Reactions: mapleleafs34

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Isles are the perfect example of GM and Coach walking in lockstep together on ideology and strategy for success. Likely why Lou Lam brought in Trotz as they're two peas from the same pod.

NYI's lose their franchise player and #1C and get significantly better, speaks volumes to how success is being measured.. Isles fans chanting "We don't need you" are not wrong, because NYI management gave them that stage. Their system absorbs the loss of a star player.

Leafs have GM and Coach on different pages, and it shows you can have all the skill in the world, but without the will and hard work or as Babs calls them "gud pros" and why he would love a Zach Hyman type on every line.

Leafs GM believes Skill beats Will, while Leafs Coach preaches Will trumps Skill.

And in this case Babs is 100% correct. Maybe the Leafs stars can’t handle the games when they are clearly outworked. We outskill the Islanders, but they out hustled us and made the Leafs look slow.

We still lack that top pairing guy to play with Reilly, that falls on Dubas as well. I sure he is aware of that and will address that in the off-season

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I do wish we had a better atmosphere in our arena, and I know it's because we charge the price of a mortgage payment for a few friends to go.

It's just too bad

Reactions: Leaftors

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Islanders fans also booed the Canadian national anthem back in the day. Right after a soldiers funeral, after Canadians had sent people to die in Afghanistan because America had been attacked, they still booed our anthem. And that’s not one or two crazy jerks, that’s an arena full of people.

The US national anthem was drowned out by boos all over Canada during the war in Iraq

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like the SH goal stinker right after that disallowed goal, the let the game get away from the Leafs thereafter.
yep, 3-1 instead of 2-2.
Even with the disallowed goal, if he makes that shorthanded stop the PP still had a chance.
You knew as soon as the guy walked in it would be 3-1,

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
yep, 3-1 instead of 2-2.
Even with the disallowed goal, if he makes that shorthanded stop the PP still had a chance.
You knew as soon as the guy walked in it would be 3-1,

Sparks has lost 4 of his last 5 starts and that might be the difference between home ice in the playoffs and Leafs starting on the road.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

carosey12

Sep 30, 2018
Second game on a back to back, against a team waiting for us and extremely motivated to win.

Sparks is not a great goalie and we were playing out 8th and 9th D.

Not to mention the Islanders are a good team.

It's not time to panic.
was thinking on wednesday that sparks should have started against edmonton.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad