Post-Game Talk: Leafs play poorly and lose 6-1 and JT takes the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
All y'all want Cooper.

Apparently he's the problem in TBay.

He's peeled back his star's TOI because they have a gigantic lead over 2nd place. Last year down the stretch, he was playing his stars quite a bit. He's got reasonable cause to keep his guys fresh for playoff time.

Reactions: dsred

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I felt bad for Johnny. :(

Not only because of the fan reaction he was forced to endure, but also because his teammates embarrassed him with their performance in this one.

If that score is 6-1 Toronto and not 1-6 then that shelters JT and prevents the endless "We don't need you" mocking as it would be pretty nonsensical to chant that if their team is getting the boots taken to them in this match. :help:

The Leafs allowed the NYI the ability to BOO him right out of the building to the bitter end.

At least if you can't show up and beat them physically in response at least you could beat them on the scoreboard to shut them up, and let JT walk out of the building with his head held high and not as he did.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If he can.

There is no RHD store right down the street he can go to.
To get that guy, a big piece has to go out. Creating a different hole.

Dead last 3 seasons ago. Takes time to assemble a team.

Well, he has known this since last year. I know it’s not easy but it’s something that needs to be addressed. Trust me, I’m not one of these nut jobs that freaks out after every loss and am quite happy with the progress of the team. This playoff will be the tell tale sign though, as this is the 3rd playoffs that this core will be a part of.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Well, he has known this since last year. I know it’s not easy but it’s something that needs to be addressed. Trust me, I’m not one of these nut jobs that freaks out after every loss and am quite happy with the progress of the team. This playoff will be the tell tale sign though, as this is the 3rd playoffs that this core will be a part of.
As someone I know put it, the idea is to make the right trade. Not the first one.

We've watched other franchises identify a hole and rush to fill it. Then regret what they did.
Remember a couple years ago we HAD to go get a Norris caliber defenseman? Aren't you glad we didn't rush out and get one?

Now, as for the timeline, I get that fans are getting impatient but impatience leads to stupid decisions. We still need to be patient but we don't need to provide an endless supply of it anymore.
I'd say if we don't start seeing significant inroads in playoff performances, compete level, personnel and perhaps some other aspects, then ya, we should really start navel gazing.
I figure we're right on the cusp between simply trying to amass as much talent as we can and trying to fit out the team. I think a hard look has to be taken on D. I don't think nibbling around the edges is going to cut it any more.

I would not be surprise to see a very active off season. We know Gardiner isn't back and I wouldn't be surprise at any of Kadri, Brown, Zaitsev and Marleau not back next season.
I haven't been on the trade Kadri bandwagon but as of late, I've been wondering if we aren't a better line up with Willy in the middle. Use the Naz money on the back end.

"It's a 5 year plan that changes every day." We aren't even through year 4 yet.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Never said they are too young. Simply said that players get better every year until their peak (For the most part). Really very simple.

You always say there is no consistency, but the only consistency in your posts are that you nitpick to make your point look valid, generally it is not.
It IS a dramatic insconsistency.

When I question inflated contracts given to our young players, I’m told “it’s a young players league now. Players in their early 20’s run the league.”

So I say “ok, I guess we’ll be elite in the playoffs.” And now it’s “nope, we’re too young.”

I’m so fed up of the inconsistencies. I’m SO fed up of them.

If it’s not REALLY a young players league, them we shouldn’t have dramatically overpaid our young players.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
This is definitely an emotional low point for me since the Shanahan rebuild . All the other disappointments I chalked up to youth/inexperience. At some point you start thinking maybe it's not that we are too young. Maybe there is something deeper.

How do Matthews and Nylander not show up for a game like that? How do they get dominated by Nelson and Filipula? Year 4 for Nylander. Year 3 for Matthews. H0w can you not figure out you can't shrink here and get crushed in those match ups?

We have had 2 games against the Islanders and Barzal has been way better and more engaged than any of our kids in both of them and he has the least amount of experience.

I don't want to get all political in here but i will say that this new generation is raised differently from the past due to what's being taught to kids at school and even at home..Today we tell kids that niceness is extremely important as well as needing safe spaces from bad things or people, etc..which seems like a good thing in theory..The problem is that it's not reality and life is hard and at times can be hell(yet so many kids show even in their private lives how mentally fragile they are)..The only way out is by facing that and showing bravery...no such thing as shielding anyone from anything because you actually make people weaker as they give up when faced with any adversity. In the past it was almost like we went to war(players like Roberts, Tucker, Gimour and even Sundin definitely showed this strength)...Today, they believe that checking, playing with intensity and sacrificing your body isn't something important and the team is built around very much similar players..well, it's not surprising that you'd be dominated by those who easily show better work ethic and can put fear in you.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
The Oiler game is may have been over in the 1st if Sparks had started.
Monkeying with the rotation isn't the answer.
A reliable back up is but that's now a question for next year.

Leafs woke up after allowing the first goal and I'm sure it would have been the same if Sparks was net.

Why is the rotation set in stone, though? What if schedule was vs EDM and then @BOS? Doesn't matter which goalie is the backup. I think you would like to give yourself the best shot at winning in the divisional/intra conference game as opposed to the non-conference one.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Leafs woke up after allowing the first goal and I'm sure it would have been the same if Sparks was net.

Why is the rotation set in stone, though? What if schedule was vs EDM and then @BOS? Doesn't matter which goalie is the backup. I think you would like to give yourself the best shot at winning in the divisional/intra conference game as opposed to the non-conference one.

To me, putting in your backup as the starter on the first night of a back to back is sending your team a message that we don't need to play as hard against a opponent because of where the next opponent is in the standings.

We weren't winning this game with your favourite goalie here in net, so you put the backup in game 1, we lose, and now you lose both of the back to backs.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
To me, putting in your backup as the starter on the first night of a back to back is sending your team a message that we don't need to play as hard against a opponent because of where the next opponent is in the standings.

We weren't winning this game with your favourite goalie here in net, so you put the backup in game 1, we lose, and now you lose both of the back to backs.

Leafs came out like shit in the first vs Edmonton anyway, and waited until a goal was scored to wake up. So perhaps they took their opponent lightly even with Andersen

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
What some are not accepting is the fact that the number of personel that has and will be turned over under Babcock suggests his inability to manage/coach the personel he was given.
Mikey will pull the wool over media and fans eyes with the common excuse "i need". Both Leaf G.m.'s have given Mikey more than enough to win. Mikey gets too busy head butting with players to ever win.

So good players will come and go..play elsewhere and win..yet Mikey will collect his money while pointing in all sorts of directions to keep the media and most fans at bay....Kinda makes you wonder if Leaf fans need to be lied to. Well he has an asst coach that he constantly asks on camera "what happened" when the Leafs are scored on.

Reactions: dsred and SAMCRO44

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
What some are not accepting is the fact that the number of personel that has and will be turned over under Babcock suggests his inability to manage/coach the personel he was given.
Mikey will pull the wool over media and fans eyes with the common excuse "i need". Both Leaf G.m.'s have given Mikey more than enough to win. Mikey gets too busy head butting with players to ever win.

So good players will come and go..play elsewhere and win..yet Mikey will collect his money while pointing in all sorts of directions to keep the media and most fans at bay....Kinda makes you wonder if Leaf fans need to be lied to.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Honestly Tavares face, when they did the tribute and all the fans booing, it was heartbreaking.

I told my wife during the game that I've never felt that bad for a professional athlete in any sport.

We all knew it would be hostile, but that was beyond what anyone could have possibly anticipated, especially Tavares himself.

I actually felt a bit traumatized for him after the game.

If there was ever a game to circle on the calendar, it's the rematch in April.

Reactions: great and SAMCRO44

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I told my wife during the game that I've never felt that bad for a professional athlete in any sport.

We all knew it would be hostile, but that was beyond what anyone could have possibly anticipated, especially Tavares himself.

Something tells me the Leafs will be a different team that night.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
And in this case Babs is 100% correct. Maybe the Leafs stars can’t handle the games when they are clearly outworked. We outskill the Islanders, but they out hustled us and made the Leafs look slow.

We still lack that top pairing guy to play with Reilly, that falls on Dubas as well. I sure he is aware of that and will address that in the off-season

I'm not sure finding a partner for Reilly, PLUS finding a replacement for Gardiner is all that easily addressed, especially given the fact it must be done within the environment of cap constraints. Its not as matter of fact as perhaps some post or some people might think.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Something tells me the Leafs will be a different team that night.

I hope so. I really do.
But its Dj smith and Babcock.

Marleau might be on a top line...
We might actually try the exact same stretch pass flip - no puck support system.

We are 10-1 in goals vs Trots islanders
I fear it may stay at 1.
Best shots not allowed team - Islanders

Our coaches need a change

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

It's a moment he's been preparing for for a long time. He'll be ok. Players aren't stupid, they know what to expect.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's a moment he's been preparing for for a long time. He'll be ok. Players aren't stupid, they know what to expect.

He will get over it for sure, but he was obviously rattled last night during the game and in the post media scrum.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I'm not sure the crowd will resemble what we all saw last night. It would be one hell of a playoff series between these two teams. Hockey needs more rivalries like this one.

You have to figure the rematch is going to consist of resting top players for the playoffs if both teams are where they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad