Prospect Info: Leafs pick - #65 - Andrew Nielsen (D) Lethbridge WHL 6-3 207lbs

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
I've seen Nielsen live 4 times this season not including the rookie tournament. His point production is great but what excites me the most is his IQ and vision. I always get the impression that he's 2 steps ahead of the play. It's hard to explain but I'm left feeling like he already knows what he's going to do before the play gets to him and has a contingency if something changes. There is no panic.

His skating, most specifically his first 2 steps, needs work but his smarts and reach compensate well at this level. If he can improve in this regard the sky is the limit IMHO.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yea Nielsen is nothing like Percy. Both play different games.

Really both have poor foot work....that is a huge issue.

I mention this about Percy back in the day and everyone stated that Barb can fix it....but she can't and that is an issue.

I stated that Nielson has more skill and that is true. I sure hope that he can improve his foot work enough to be an NHL player.

To add same as Finn, everyone on here had him playing top pair when he was playing in the OHL and he was steal at the draft, I stated that we drafted him to high for the same reason....bad feet.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I mention this about Percy back in the day and everyone stated that Barb can fix it....but she can't and that is an issue.

I stated that Nielson has more skill and that is true. I sure hope that he can improve his foot work enough to be an NHL player.

To add same as Finn, everyone on here had him playing top pair when he was playing in the OHL and he was steal at the draft, I stated that we drafted him to high for the same reason....bad feet.

Nielson is absolutely NOWHERE near being as bad of a skater as Finn was. Finn was an absolute pathetic skater.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Nielsen is miles ahead of Finn who was a hard worker but very ordinary athlete without a big shot.

Nielsen is a Parayko/Weber-lite who has the potential to run a PP at the NHL level.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nielsen can get turned around, so agility and first 1-2 strides are a concern.

Hopefully Barb puts in some good time with him, 2-3 years in the minors was always the expectation before he came up imo, we already have a young blueline as it is.

It is his transitional skating that is an issue and it is the hardest to improve...bad feet is not an item that Barb or any skating instructor can fix, if so Finn and Percy would be in the NHL right now.

I like his game....tough and great shot, good reach. Good work ethic. I sure hope I am wrong here.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nielson is absolutely NOWHERE near being as bad of a skater as Finn was. Finn was an absolute pathetic skater.

I agree he is better skater then Finn, and so was Percy, but bad feet prevents many from playing in the NHL and if they do make it, lets hope he is one of the exceptions, as like the other parts of his game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I agree he is better skater then Finn, and so was Percy, but bad feet prevents many from playing in the NHL and if they do make it, lets hope he is one of the exceptions, as like the other parts of his game.

is other traits may be enough to become a bottom pairing dman with current skating and he would be one of those guys everyone wished the skating improved because he could of been one hell of a dman. Percy also seemed alot worse a skater than Nielsen.

Also wasn't it Nielsen he started playing competitively at 15 or something? he is behind in skating because he hasn't had the teaching of kids his age maybe?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I liked the nielsen the day we drafts him. Thought he could he a 3rd pairing defender with a big shot Right now he's one of our elite prospects. Every time I watch him play he's amazing. I honestly think in 3 years he's the leafs best overall defensemen. He just ends to fix his skating a little. He's got great skills everywhere else. Wouldn't trade him, kappy, and leipsic from he current Marlies team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I liked the nielsen the day we drafts him. Thought he could he a 3rd pairing defender with a big shot Right now he's one of our elite prospects. Every time I watch him play he's amazing. I honestly think in 3 years he's the leafs best overall defensemen. He just ends to fix his skating a little. He's got great skills everywhere else. Wouldn't trade him, kappy, and leipsic from he current Marlies team.

keep dreaming....

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Who else isn't an elite skater: Ryan Suter.

Ryan Suter is not at all a bad skater, his foot worker is great but not pretty. I am not talking about style or speed but foot work. Ryan Suter is not at all real fast but his foot work allows him to play at a Elite Level in the NHL.. He uses quick changes of direction...(Foot work ) as a tool to enable him to make those quick passes.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I've seen Nielsen live 4 times this season not including the rookie tournament. His point production is great but what excites me the most is his IQ and vision. I always get the impression that he's 2 steps ahead of the play. It's hard to explain but I'm left feeling like he already knows what he's going to do before the play gets to him and has a contingency if something changes. There is no panic.

His skating, most specifically his first 2 steps, needs work but his smarts and reach compensate well at this level. If he can improve in this regard the sky is the limit IMHO.

Especially at the rookie tournament, he looked dominant. Made such intelligent decisions and his vision really amazed me. On top of a great slapper, crazy good wrist shot too.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Ryan Suter is not at all a bad skater, his foot worker is great but not pretty. I am not talking about style or speed but foot work. Ryan Suter is not at all real fast but his foot work allows him to play at a Elite Level in the NHL.. He uses quick changes of direction...(Foot work ) as a tool to enable him to make those quick passes.

Wouldn't that fall under edge work? also I've heard Neilsen is pretty decent with his edges.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Wouldn't that fall under edge work? also I've heard Neilsen is pretty decent with his edges.
Neilson is pretty decent when it comes to edge control. He's got good balance, but doesn't build momentum efficiently. While it's obvious that one doesn't need to be McDavid with his pristine stride, being able to quickly change directions is essential for a defenseman.

He's got the size, though. Hopefully, he can transition to the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
a good comp might be bryan mccabe, actually. big mobile guy with a poor first step / turn.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Never is the correct answer.

He has some great skills, but skating is the great equalizer....He is a similar to Percy but with more offense skill, he has improved in all areas over the last 3 years and if he can continue then he may make the NHL at some point. I was struck by his unforced mistakes as this is a sign that the game is to fast for him. Fingers crossed that he can continue his progress and develop into an NHL player who will use his big body.

Didn't you say the same thing about Marner. I think you called him chicken legs too. Was that you I'm not really sure but i know you have this propensity for rating skating as a precursor for how good you rank a player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Didn't you say the same thing about Marner. I think you called him chicken legs too. Was that you I'm not really sure but i know you have this propensity for rating skating as a precursor for how good you rank a player.

Nope I said he was an elite skater.....It was Mike etc that was attacking his skating. I called Marner our Franchise player last year. I was one of the few that stated his skating was not an issue.

As for ranking players, skating is the single most important skill when ranking players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Nooo it wasn't you sorry.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It is his transitional skating that is an issue and it is the hardest to improve...bad feet is not an item that Barb or any skating instructor can fix, if so Finn and Percy would be in the NHL right now.

I like his game....tough and great shot, good reach. Good work ethic. I sure hope I am wrong here.

If he has good hockey IQ, he can limit getting exposed.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nope I said he was an elite skater.....It was Mike etc that was attacking his skating. I called Marner our Franchise player last year. I was one of the few that stated his skating was not an issue.

As for ranking players, skating is the single most important skill when ranking players.

Who was it that always ran down his elite skating i forget. Anyways i had you mistaken with a other poster. You actually always got it how good he was going to be.

Well anyways complete mistake on my part. On his skating though. He looks a little choppy but he actually moves around the point really smooth on the powerplay. I have no doubt that in 2 years he will be showing signs of being our best defenseman or will be by then. This kid has some jam in his game that is not matched in the system by anyone else yet.

His skating is not really that bad, he is tough on the boards and at the front and sides of the net. Passes very well, sees the ice and makes quick decisions with the puck generally. The choppyness should get fixed easily by underhill. That shot he has from the point though will be elite because he gets it through consistently and hard. That shot of his is a absolute rocket that he can eep about 10"to 12" off the ice.

He is going to be a big part of our defense in the very near future i believe. Most don't really get it yet with him i think. He is getting better so quick that its mind boggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad