Prospect Info: Leafs pick - #65 - Andrew Nielsen (D) Lethbridge WHL 6-3 207lbs

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think you're overestimating how fast defenseman need to skate. Chara wouldn't win any footraces with basically anyone in the league, and yet he was one of the best defensive players in the league during his prime. Positioning, stick work, vision, passing, and being able to take the body are much more important imo, and he looked far ahead of guys like Dermott in those attributes.

Guys like Luke Schenn weren't terrible because they couldn't skate, Luke Schenn was terrible because he couldn't really do anything at a high level and was exposed due to the system and pathetic back checking efforts from the forwards. If we play a strong defensive system like the Bruins/Detroit/LA Kings then I don't think his skating is an issue at all.

Agreed - but the important thing is that food speed and mobility are two different things.

Nielsen definitely has to work on his skating, but it's not something that (I believe) will stop him from being effective at the NHL level. Don't get me wrong, skating can be a huge issue for D making the jump, but it looks to me like Nielsen has that minimum basic mobility and speed to be effective as long as he can work his positioning in the D zone to be effective.

I'm really liking what I see, and another couple of years with the Marlies will go a long way in his development.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
If his skating doesn't improve (more so his lateral movement and edges than speed) the best we can hope for is a left shooting Cody Franson clone but if he does improve his skating his potential is HUGE!!! His other tools are rock solid. We'll have to wait and see. :popcorn:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dude looked like he was going to be out for months with that knee injury.

Was very happy to see him back on the bench.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Really liked what i saw. I believe he's got the potential to be a core player for us down the road.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I have post traumatic leaf disorder and it is impossible to imagine we found a good player late in the draft

I'm as cynical as it gets when it comes to our late rounders but lightning has to strike sooner or later right?

If this guy could be our version of Paryko or even a solid rock guy like Seidenberg it would go a long way to seeing our team be a future playoff contender

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'm as cynical as it gets when it comes to our late rounders but lightning has to strike sooner or later right?

If this guy could be our version of Paryko or even a solid rock guy like Seidenberg it would go a long way to seeing our team be a future playoff contender

I'm not saying its impossible, we just have to trade him first

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His skating (agility/lateral movement along with turning quickly) will really determine how far he goes.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
1G and 1A today for the Marlies ... this kid is pretty good.
Looks like he has a hard, accurate shot from the point.

How long till we see him in the bigs?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

Depending on deadline activity and his continued play... potentially at the end of the year

More likely next season with a 9 game tryout

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Depending on deadline activity and his continued play... potentially at the end of the year

More likely next season with a 9 game tryout

9 game tryouts are only relevant for players to not burn off a year of their ELC. Nielsen will have already burned off a year of his ELC...

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA

There's literally nobody on the leafs defense who has that.

Really hoping that he can play on the 3rd pair next season.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Let's hope he can replace Carrick or Hunwick sooner rather than later and we pick up a veteran dman to play with Gardiner.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
9 game tryouts are only relevant for players to not burn off a year of their ELC. Nielsen will have already burned off a year of his ELC...

No he hasn't, Nielsen's ELC can slide this year, he's a late birthday in his draft+2 year, that makes him AHL eligible and not a junior but his contract can still slide. Same applies to Dermott and Timashov, if you sign them early enough post draft, the late birthdays can slide twice despite playing in the AHL the 2nd year

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Would people be happy if we kept one of hunwick or polak and brought up 2 of nielsen dermott or valiev?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Zaitsev does but as it stands Babcock doesn't really put him in a position to use it. The way the PP is currently set up there's never an opportunity for Zaitsev to actually facilitate his shot.

But yes Nielsen's big shot would be a nice addition.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd preferably like to see Nielsen and Dermott get at least this season to acclimate to the professional game, without having to worry about the next step too. Take another look for next season, see what other options are available, and then aim for the TDL next year as a baseline.

Valiev is a different case. I would be surprised if we didn't see a lot of him after the TDL.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can see he's scoring, but how is he doing defensively?

I've only see 3 games this year but his positioning is pretty good. I still feel he needs to improve his first couple steps and agility before I'm comfortble that he can make the jump to the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad