Prospect Info: Leafs pick - #65 - Andrew Nielsen (D) Lethbridge WHL 6-3 207lbs

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No he hasn't, Nielsen's ELC can slide this year, he's a late birthday in his draft+2 year, that makes him AHL eligible and not a junior but his contract can still slide. Same applies to Dermott and Timashov, if you sign them early enough post draft, the late birthdays can slide twice despite playing in the AHL the 2nd year

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides

You need to read what you share more carefully.

An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Nielsen turned 20 last week. CapFriendly also shows Nielsen being RFA in 2019, which is when the 3 years on his current ELC are over.

So yeah, this year isn't a slide and it doesn't matter how many games he plays.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd preferably like to see Nielsen and Dermott get at least this season to acclimate to the professional game, without having to worry about the next step too. Take another look for next season, see what other options are available, and then aim for the TDL next year as a baseline.

Valiev is a different case. I would be surprised if we didn't see a lot of him after the TDL.

Yes I would think next year at the earliest.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Nielsen turned 20 last week. CapFriendly also shows Nielsen being RFA in 2019, which is when the 3 years on his current ELC are over.

Unfortunate.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I've only see 3 games this year but his positioning is pretty good. I still feel he needs to improve his first couple steps and agility before I'm comfortble that he can make the jump to the nhl.

Thanks. 3 games is 3 more than I've seen. It sounds promising.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

You need to understand what that part of the rule means. This is the 2nd year of Nielsen's contract. He signed it last fall and officially 2015-16 was the first year but it slid. This is how these things work, if it's slides twice it will in fact be a 5 year contract.

That part in there means had they waited until say this summer to sign him this year would be his 1st year, he would have been 19 on September 15th and 20 before the new year thus it wouldn't slide.

That's why I said in my post "If you sign them early enough", meaning you have to sign them early enough so that 1st post draft year is the first year of the contract.

CapFriendly has his RFA in 2019 because it's not known for sure if the contract will slide or not yet. He could play 10 games and it won't slide. That will be changed once it slides officially.

See Anthony Mantha, late birthday, drafted 2013, signed Fall 2013, played in the AHL in his draft+2 year, contract slide twice

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony-mantha

It's the indentical situation, same for Pulock

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-pulock

DeAngelo, the list goes on

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony-deangelo

That list in the link I posted shows every player in a situation where they're in the NHL/AHL and their contract can slide. Nielsen, Timashov, and Dermott are all on that list.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I can see he's scoring, but how is he doing defensively?
During Saturdays game he was watching rather than doing on one of the goals against. He has a lapse here & there, but overall pretty good defensively. I think Dermott is stronger on the D.

I think both of them should spend the year with the Marlies & I doubt the Leafs will have a different philosophy.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He's definitely an interesting prospect on the blueline. Who knows how he turns out, but like the overall possibilities. Think it's more than a good idea to let him continue to develop with the Marlies for the whole season. No rush. We've got a ton of spare D on the Leafs as it is.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd preferably like to see Nielsen and Dermott get at least this season to acclimate to the professional game, without having to worry about the next step too. Take another look for next season, see what other options are available, and then aim for the TDL next year as a baseline.

Valiev is a different case. I would be surprised if we didn't see a lot of him after the TDL.

Agreed, Nielsen is not ready.

Dermott imo is closer, but you would still be throwing him to the wolves. No reason for this.

Valiev to take on third pairing would be a dream.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Dermott imo is closer, but you would still be throwing him to the wolves. No reason for this.

Yeah valiev and loov need to be looked at next see what we have while Nielsen and deemott keep developing with the marlies

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah valiev and loov need to be looked at next see what we have while Nielsen and deemott keep developing with the marlies

Valiev is ready. Loov is worth a look but likely cant make it. Ps. Marincin is trash and so are Polak and Hunny.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
His offensive tools are ready for NHL action. Hard and accurate wrist/snap shot, hard and accurate slap shot. Great puck skills and great vision.

Hes been prone to a few defensive gafs a game. He tries to play a brute physical game in the corners, but isnt yet able to contain the strong power forwards. With a little seasoning and weight training he will be in the NHL.

I think this could very well be one of the biggest steals in the 2015 draft.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
During Saturdays game he was watching rather than doing on one of the goals against. He has a lapse here & there, but overall pretty good defensively. I think Dermott is stronger on the D.

I think both of them should spend the year with the Marlies & I doubt the Leafs will have a different philosophy.

Thanks. Agreed on both Nielsen and Dermott spending the full year with the Marlies.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Bring him up after the 2018 trade deadline if he's ready and we move a d body or injuries.

I'd like him to really develop his craft before any knee-jerking decisions. Due to the limited d prospects, we have to be cautious and patient.

Dermott is ahead of him development wise, but I think Nielsen has the higher ceiling. They also play a different game.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I would love to know the scouting process on Nielsen.

He was ranked 5th rd or later in 2015. The Leafs took him with a third/65oa not wanting to risk losing him to another team. They obviously did their homework on this guy.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
His offensive tools are ready for NHL action. Hard and accurate wrist/snap shot, hard and accurate slap shot. Great puck skills and great vision.

Hes been prone to a few defensive gafs a game. He tries to play a brute physical game in the corners, but isnt yet able to contain the strong power forwards. With a little seasoning and weight training he will be in the NHL.

I think this could very well be one of the biggest steals in the 2015 draft.

Yep. He gave the puck away with little pressure 3 times in the first 15 minutes of yesterdays game but that's just inexperience hopefully. He needs to get stronger and improve his mobility and first step or two. Once he gets rolling he's a good skater. His offensive tools and instincts are very good. I think with a few years with the Marlies he will be a steal and hopefully a top 4 guy and a PP weapon.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

I would agree with this. Nielsen probably has more potential, but Dermott's game is a little more polished at this point in time. Valiev likely the closest to jumping into the NHL right now. Not sure about Loov. He seems to have the physical skills to be an NHL player and skates very well, but worry about his decision making at times.

What was really apparent in game vs the Habs on Saturday, we really lack that weapon on the blueline on the PP who can really shoot the puck. Nielsen looks to be exactly what we are missing right now, so lets hope he develops.

For what its worth, would rather see both Nielsen and Dermott spend entire year with the Marlies then lets see where they are at during next year's camp.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
When does Nielsen become our top prospect? He is a Shea Weber-lite clone, no? At least that was always the vibe I got from him.

Never is the correct answer.

He has some great skills, but skating is the great equalizer....He is a similar to Percy but with more offense skill, he has improved in all areas over the last 3 years and if he can continue then he may make the NHL at some point. I was struck by his unforced mistakes as this is a sign that the game is to fast for him. Fingers crossed that he can continue his progress and develop into an NHL player who will use his big body.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

He has some great skills, but skating is the great equalizer....He is a similar to Percy but with more offense skill, he has improved in all areas over the last 3 years and if he can continue then he may make the NHL at some point. I was struck by his unforced mistakes as this is a sign that the game is to fast for him. Fingers crossed that he can continue his progress and develop into an NHL player who will use his big body.

He's our second best prospect behind Kapanen. He's nothing like Percy. Skating can be improved. You can't teach that shot. And his transition game is great, not to mention he always calmly handles the puck and has great vision for a first pass for a breakout. He's young. Started playing hockey recently. Mistakes will come.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Nothing like Percy. He is bigger, more physical and has a much better shot.
About the only comparison is that they both play LD.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nielsen can get turned around, so agility and first 1-2 strides are a concern.

Hopefully Barb puts in some good time with him, 2-3 years in the minors was always the expectation before he came up imo, we already have a young blueline as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad