Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #130 -- Tony Cameranesi - C - 5-9/162 - HS-MN (WAYZATA)

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
A small part of the information from McKeens.

has blazing speed and can drive wide with seeming ease .. closes ground quickly on the backcheck and in races for the puck .. has a hard, crisp wristshot .. showed a consistent effort in the Elite League, where he was surrounded by teammates that could do something with his passes ... one of ten finalists for the 2011 Minnesota Mr. Hockey award ... committed to Minnesota-Duluth (2012-13).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXjhChEcgY

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
One of the youngest players being born August 13th, 1993.

Scored 54 points in 25 games in Minnesota high school league.

Only 5'9", 160 lbs.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556436

Tony Cameranesi, Wayzata (Minn.): The senior captain finished the year with 17 goals, 63 points and a plus-38 rating in 28 games, including 2 goals, 9 points and a plus-9 rating in three state sectional playoff contests for the Trojans. Cameranesi is headed for the University of Minnesota-Duluth in the fall.

"Mario (Lucia) is the top high school player in the country but Tony Cameranesi is probably one of the best skaters in the entire draft," Barzee said. "In fact, that's the one thing that Cameranesi has on (Mr. Hockey Award winner) Kyle Rau. Tony will get to the same point on the ice as Rau, but only in a different way. He'll blow down the wing and bring everyone to their feet."

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
From Bruinsdraftwatch blog

14. Tony Cameranesi, C Wayzata H.S. (Minnesota)- The 5-9, 160-pounder is on this list for one reason and one only: his skating. He is perhaps the best skater in the entire draft with tremendous acceleration, speed and agility. He plays with a high energy level and never stops moving his feet. The explosive little waterbug is going to the University of Minnesota-Duluth and is a draft wildcard for sure, but is someone to watch as he matures and develops. If he can prove he has the sense to go with his wheels, he could get a shot in the big show eventually.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why do people keep saying "who" or "never heard of him"?

If you new all 200+ players who are going to be drafted this weekend, I'd be impressed.

mooseOAK*

If you new all 200+ players who are going to be drafted this weekend, I'd be impressed.

It's cool to do, makes them look like a draft expert.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

After seeing it so often today I'm just going to assume it's how kids on HFboards get their lulz

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Love that he has amazing skating! Definately going to be interesting to see how he does.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Another high risk pick... makes you wonder if Burke was contemplating on Grimaldi.

Not sure one has to do with another. They are gambling on a small speedster who's heading to college (likely for 4 years) that they picked in the 5th.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Martin St.Louis :sarcasm:

Sounds like he could be a good 2-3line guy. Depends on if he can improve against better goalies/better defense.

Here's hoping for a Raymond type player. Not all the skill in the world but uses his speed in the right places to get scoring chances.

The Puck

Sep 1, 2006
Maybe he is the hockey equivalent of Mauro Camoranesi, who is also like 5'9" and fast.

Mauro-Camoranesi.jpg

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not sure one has to do with another. They are gambling on a small speedster who's heading to college (likely for 4 years) that they picked in the 5th.

I meant that they're both small. I think this is smallest player Burke has drafted in recent memory, and it just makes you wonder if he was considering Grimaldi... even though 5'6" & 5'9" are a little far apart. Baby steps, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad