Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #130 -- Tony Cameranesi - C - 5-9/162 - HS-MN (WAYZATA)

SteveV*

Can we stop comparing EVERYONE who is under six feet and has speed with St Louis? Please?

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
REPORT:

Cameranesi is a hard worker on the ice, keeping his feet moving at all times. Scoring seems to come naturally for Cameranesi, possessing a killer instinct around the net. Likes to use his wrist shot and does a good job keeping the puck low.

Size is obviously an issue, although he uses his body well protecting the puck and is not intimidated of bigger players.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Seems like part of the strategy is to draft guys who are a year less developed than the rest of the class? Kind of bet hedging?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this pick

Kid is meant for the new NHL. Blazing speed, skill and nose for the net

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Why do people keep saying "who" or "never heard of him"?

If you new all 200+ players who are going to be drafted this weekend, I'd be impressed.

Some of these same morons were the ones ripping the Raptors for the hours following their pick Thursday until the rest of the NBA piped up and said "What a great pick by Toronto!"

My point is that people complain for the sake of complaining. Only morons question who NHL teams are picking in the 5th round as if there's any science or logic left to apply at this point.

If you think we'd all agree with the Leafs final scouting report on some of these kids then you'd be sorely mistaken and as you say, who has seen most of these kids other then scouts?

99% of us are lucky to just see what our local CHL league has to offer.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Drafting undersized players is a goal?

Drafting youth is a goal.

This kid is a full year of high school from even playing NCAA which means he could be a full 5 NHL seasons away from even getting a crack at the Marlies.....size can be an issue then, not now while he's a developing offensive threat because the NHL has room for undersized top 6 forwards on every team.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto

That sounds like a different small player we all know...

8467844.jpg

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Some of these same morons were the ones ripping the Raptors for the hours following their pick Thursday until the rest of the NBA piped up and said "What a great pick by Toronto!"

My point is that people complain for the sake of complaining. Only morons question who NHL teams are picking in the 5th round as if there's any science or logic left to apply at this point.

If you think we'd all agree with the Leafs final scouting report on some of these kids then you'd be sorely mistaken and as you say, who has seen most of these kids other then scouts?

99% of us are lucky to just see what our local CHL league has to offer.

Excellent point. Unfortunately it's likely lost on some.

NikolaiTesla*

I really like this pick, the Leafs value skating, this is their guy. The guy also has good play making abilities.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Maybe he is the hockey equivalent of Mauro Camoranesi, who is also like 5'9" and fast.

Mauro-Camoranesi.jpg

Totally made me lol :laugh:

Forza Gli Azzurri :yo:

It's one of the reasons I was hoping for Catenacci or Grimaldi..... but I knew Burke wouldn't "waste" a high pick on a small guy.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Little small, but if he can grow a few inches maybe he can turn into a Darren Helm type.

Good type of gamble to leave in the NCAA for four seasons.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This pick has a lot of hidden value. Reminds me a bit of the D'Amigo pick. He's also going to a great hockey program.

Probably my favorite pick of today.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2010/11/9/1804030/top-10-minnesota-mr-hockey-candidates
3. Tony Cameranesi, Forward, Wayzata, Committed to Minnesota-Duluth

Cameranesi has quietly been a very good player throughout his high school career, but has flown under the radar a bit. While his Wayzata teams have been solid in recent years, they've taken a back seat to some of the other powerhouses in their area like Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and Edina.

So far this season, Cameranesi has separated himself from the pack with his outstanding play in the Elite League, and was one of the first, and possibly one of the few, players to lock down a WCHA scholarship this year, when he verbally committed to Minnesota-Duluth.

He could also be helped by the fact that this year may be Wayzata's turn to be a powerhouse. Wayzata is loaded with talent that has finally matured into upperclassmen and playing on a top-ranked team could help draw some attention to Cameranesi. He is a ‘B' rated player for the NHL Draft, but with a listed height under 5'10", his odds of getting picked in the NHL Draft don't seem spectacular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad