Prospect Info: Leafs' Pick #130 -- Tony Cameranesi - C - 5-9/162 - HS-MN (WAYZATA)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't know why people like to jump all over a prospect because of the size.

You can take a look at players all over the league and look what they've turned into. Joe Thornton and Zdeno Chara used to be really tall lanky guys and now look at them. I also remember Colby armstrong saying how skinny he was at the start of his last year in junior, that he carried weights to make it seem like he was 10 pounds heavier. I'd take a guy like Martin St. Louis or Derek Roy on my team any day of the week.

The one thing that I noticed from the video was how it looked like it took him 2 steps and he was at/close to his top speed. Especially on the OT goal in the youtube video of him... the way he was about 2 feet away from the defender at the blueline and 4 when he was at the net. Just unreal first step.

Looks like he will need to improve his shot though.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
I saw him play live this year, actually. And a couple times on the internet I saw some of Wayzata's games.

Mario Lucia gets all the press from his high school team, but to be honest, I was much more impressed with Cameranesi than I was with Lucia. If he was a bigger kid, I think he would have been ranked higher than Lucia and probably would have been taken A LOT earlier.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Impossible to gauge a 17 y/o high school players future but I don't expect this kid (or 99% of this year's late round draftees) to have an NHL career. Hopefully he proves me wrong though

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Why is everyone ripping on his size? The kid is 17, a lot of players grow 2 - 3 inches between the ages of 17 - 19. The kid will most likely fill out to be an average sized player by the time he's ready to turn pro...if he is one of the fastest skater in the draft that gives him a great chance to be at least a useful forechecker/PKer.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Why is everyone ripping on his size? The kid is 17, a lot of players grow 2 - 3 inches between the ages of 17 - 19. The kid will most likely fill out to be an average sized player by the time he's ready to turn pro...if he is one of the fastest skater in the draft that gives him a great chance to be at least a useful forechecker/PKer.
Exactly. Colborne grew 5 inches in a year after being drafted. Anything could happen, and this kid has lots of potential imo.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Where did you hear this? Pretty sure he growth spurt happened a few years before he was drafted.

Oops misread post

And I'm not that sure, but either way young players go through growth spurts whether it's 1 inch or 5 inches

Last edited:

WoratCase*

Maybe he is the hockey equivalent of Mauro Camoranesi, who is also like 5'9" and fast.

Mauro-Camoranesi.jpg

Cam is a badass!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Totally made me lol :laugh:

Forza Gli Azzurri :yo:

It's one of the reasons I was hoping for Catenacci or Grimaldi..... but I knew Burke wouldn't "waste" a high pick on a small guy.

I love how your Italian patriotism is a result of a picture of an Argentinean born soccer player:laugh:

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
Drafting youth is a goal.

This kid is a full year of high school from even playing NCAA which means he could be a full 5 NHL seasons away from even getting a crack at the Marlies.....size can be an issue then, not now while he's a developing offensive threat because the NHL has room for undersized top 6 forwards on every team.

Is he coming back to highschool for a year? Because this is his 18th year which means he has graduated grade 12 already.

StarBurns RIP

No Agenda
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like a nice flyer, but his hands look kind of bad.

That's what I thought too. He skates pretty decently but the hype I heard about his skating isn't true, he'll have to work on it to excel at higher levels of hockey. Playing against high schoolers, great skating would stand out more than it did.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's what I thought too. He skates pretty decently but the hype I heard about his skating isn't true, he'll have to work on it to excel at higher levels of hockey. Playing against high schoolers, great skating would stand out more than it did.

99% of posters haven't seen him play.

Most, if not all, of the scouting reports say he's one of the best/fastest skater in this draft.

Now I'm not sure if you did really see him play or judged his talents from a youtube clip, but I think those scouting reports might be a tad more accurate than your small sample assessment, no?

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I love how your Italian patriotism is a result of a picture of an Argentinean born soccer player:laugh:

One, he's played for the Italian national his entire career, and played in serie A most of it.

Two, I wasn't going on about Italy, I was saying go team Italy.

And three, you've got no idea where my Italian patriotism comes from pal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad