Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Penguins Dec 9th, 7pm EST HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
At the very least, Nylander has earned the right to be back on the top line.

I understand Babcock's rationale for wanting to spread out the offense and roll 4 lines that can theoretically wear down the opposition, but it hasn't worked. If not for Freddy, our recent record would reflect that.

Reactions: Pi and SAMCRO44

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There is so much overreacting on this board it's insane.

This team is so far from a finished product, you just have to accept that there is still a lot of work to be done.

I can guarantee you there are a ton of people in the organization that are surprised themselves that the team is where they are so fast, look at how many other rebuilds are still stumbling.

There is going to be even more turn over roster wise next season, and even more after that.

I've never seen so much complaining about a team that's top 10 in the NHL that is full of sophomores.

I don't like Nylander on the 4th line either, but guess what, he's there. Why is he there? Because Babcock knows Nylander is more important to this team in the long-run than most of the players on this team and he's trying to spark something there. This is the stuff you can do when your team is winning.

Just go with it and enjoy the games, there is not a single team in the NHL that is a heavy favourite beat this team in a game.

What is he trying to spark? Nylander has a ~2.5% SH on ES. He's getting PDOed and still has 8 points in his last 10 games. Babcock split one of the best lines in hockey and everyone was okay with it because at least it meant Marner with Matthews, now it's just Brown and Hyman with Matthews. We essentially have three and a half broken lines right now.

We're only winning because our goalie is putting up .953SV% over the last little while.

There is criticism because this team can be way better than it is right now but Babcock rules the Leafs with an iron fist. No one in the media dares question him or he would just say "When you're coach, you can do whatever you want."

I like Babcock, think he's a great coach but some things about him are really frustrating and on top he's really cocky and overconfident. What's funny is that he'll likely switch up the lines in a week or two when we inevitably slump and then he'll be known as a genius for switching up the lines to get the Leafs going when the lines he switches to were already in place before he wrecked them.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
At the very least, Nylander has earned the right to be back on the top line.

I understand Babcock's rationale for wanting to spread out the offense and roll 4 lines that can theoretically wear down the opposition, but it hasn't worked. If not for Freddy, our recent record would reflect that.

This "rationale" is quite frankly leaves a lot to be desired. If Babs wants a 4 line attack then there is "NO" space for Martin/Moore on the 4th line and Leivo/Sosh/Kappy should draw in.

Also, they showed a stat last game, if am not mistaken, Freddie has had to face about 37 shots per game on average in his last 9 to 10 starts.

That 4 line rationale clearly isn't working

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Can't understand the logic behind the Hyman-Matthews-Brown line still being together after the last couple games given the complete lack of success of that line. That being said, I find it hard to believe Babcock hasn't noticed that, so gotta think he's looking at that from a different perspective that he hasn't really shared with the media.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What is he trying to spark? Nylander has a ~2.5% SH on ES. He's getting PDOed and still has 8 points in his last 10 games. Babcock split one of the best lines in hockey and everyone was okay with it because at least it meant Marner with Matthews, now it's just Brown and Hyman with Matthews. We essentially have three and a half broken lines right now.

We're only winning because our goalie is putting up .953SV% over the last little while.

There is criticism because this team can be way better than it is right now but Babcock rules the Leafs with an iron fist. No one in the media dares question him or he would just say "When you're coach, you can do whatever you want."

I like Babcock, think he's a great coach but some things about him are really frustrating and on top he's really cocky and overconfident. What's funny is that he'll likely switch up the lines in a week or two when we inevitably slump and then he'll be known as a genius for switching up the lines to get the Leafs going when the lines he switches to were already in place before he wrecked them.

I don't know about cockiness and confidence. To me it is pure "snobbish" and "arrogance" i.e. ego.

I do not necessarily have a problem with snobbish or arrogant or egoistical folks if they can back that up. For example, when a Physicist is cocky or snobbish, I say fine you have the right to be snobbish you are backing it up with serious intellect.

If Babs' combos were working I would say fine, he has the right to exercise and massage his ego; but it isn't IMO.

Would like to leave it here before someone chimes in and says:

• Are you NHL coach?
  • How many cups have you got?
  • Look at the standings...

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
There is so much overreacting on this board it's insane.

This team is so far from a finished product, you just have to accept that there is still a lot of work to be done.

I can guarantee you there are a ton of people in the organization that are surprised themselves that the team is where they are so fast, look at how many other rebuilds are still stumbling.

There is going to be even more turn over roster wise next season, and even more after that.

I've never seen so much complaining about a team that's top 10 in the NHL that is full of sophomores.

I don't like Nylander on the 4th line either, but guess what, he's there. Why is he there? Because Babcock knows Nylander is more important to this team in the long-run than most of the players on this team and he's trying to spark something there. This is the stuff you can do when your team is winning.

Just go with it and enjoy the games, there is not a single team in the NHL that is a heavy favourite beat this team in a game.
Great post.

Babcock is trying to mold Nylander into a great player and he’s expecting more right now. The 4th line, IMO, is meant to make him get to the slot and shoot the puck.. He lost some confidence after some bad puck luck early on and hes become too much of a perimeter playmaker.

With Moore and Martin, he’s the only shooter and can’t really rely on creating from the half wall or looping around the perimeter. He needs to take it to the net or get to the slot and shoot.

He had a partial breakaway on his forehand against Calgary and curled back.... I literally threw my hands up.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Can't understand the logic behind the Hyman-Matthews-Brown line still being together after the last couple games given the complete lack of success of that line. That being said, I find it hard to believe Babcock hasn't noticed that, so gotta think he's looking at that from a different perspective that he hasn't really shared with the media.

In fairness it hasn't been many games and that line did have stretches of success last season when put together. There's more of a sample size last year compared to this season.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Babcock putting right handed forward Leivo on defence to fill in for Rielly, instead of our right handed defenceman Carrick? :laugh:

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
At first I had no issues with the line swaps, but I am at a point now where I want to see Nylander back on our top line. I have all the time in the world for one Hyman on the line to dig, but one of the strongest parts of that line early in the season success was Nylander's ability to quarterback a rush and do 1-3 quick passes with Matthews to get zone entry.

I miss giggling like a school girl any time that line is on the ice. May be part that Matthews has not looked quite the same since his time off, but I think the larger part is the space those two could create for each other with the split second 3 foot passes that you don't see with other line mates.

Reactions: ThewThew

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I thought for sure he was finally gonna put nylander back with matthews. That matthews line is not working. I don't know why he is not putting one of the best lines in hockey back together.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Komarov

Once Bozak is traded (it is happening in my opinion)

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
JVR - Kadri - Leivo
Martin - Moore - Komarov

If Bozak and Komarov get traded

Marleau - Nylander - Brown
JVR - Kadri - Leivo
Martin - Moore - Kapanen

When all three and Moore are gone

Marleau -Nylander - Kapanen
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Gauthier - Grundstrom

I love making lines....

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've been pretty patient with Babcock but if these lines hold up it's really getting ridiculous.

What does Willy have to do to get his spot back? Seriously?
Nylander needs to increase his gudpro/60 by atleast 3x before he gets his spot back.

Actual production? Forget about that nonsense.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Polak sucks, and I think we can all agree on that. But the biggest problem on our defence is that Gardinder/Zaitsev pairing, it needs to be another level better.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I have never ever wanted the Leafs to get annilated , this is cause you don’t get your line combinations ? Kind of silly in my opinion .
i don't want them to be annihilated but i have a feeling it will happen and i'd rather get it done by pittsburgh than edmonton

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No, because noone should ever question Babcock's decisions
We've seen the same complaints daily since Hyman made the Team. When can we expect this questioning to have some type of impact? Even a fresh comment once in a while would be welcome.
Shirley there must be some value for all this redundancy.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Polak sucks, and I think we can all agree on that. But the biggest problem on our defence is that Gardinder/Zaitsev pairing, it needs to be another level better.
Of the top 4, Gardiner is the only one that is/needs sheltering, he has to go "if" this team wants to defend better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad