Confirmed with Link: Leafs/Oilers - Ross + 4th (107th overall) for Marincin

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A bust and 4th for Marincin? Am I missing something?

Oiler fan here.

Cherelli turned that pick around for some terrible bottom pairing guy from Ottawa he "has a soft spot for".

Great pick up for you guys congrats.

Easily still has top pairing potential just needs some time to find his offensive side in the NHL and fill out a bit.

Already a proven top 4 on the Oilers. Arguably the second best D man we had.

How is your left handed depth? Wonder where he will end up playing in the line up.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Oiler fan here.

Cherelli turned that pick around for some terrible bottom pairing guy from Ottawa he "has a soft spot for".

Great pick up for you guys congrats.

Easily still has top pairing potential just needs some time to find his offensive side in the NHL and fill out a bit.

Already a proven top 4 on the Oilers. Arguably the second best D man we had.

How is your left handed depth? Wonder where he will end up playing in the line up.

We have Gardiner, Rielly, Phaneuf which makes it the biggest question about getting another LHD. If we do trade Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner played together for part of the season last year so there is a chance for Marincin to slot into the top 4.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
THe Edmonton media guy who was on TSN1050 this afternoon said Edmonton soured on Marincin because he played way too soft. He said it wasn't something like he wasn't physical enough, it was that he wouldn't compete in the corners for loose pucks. I'll reserve my judgment until I see him in a Leafs'/Marlies' uniform.

Marincin and Jake compliment each other well.... birds of a feather.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Not a bad deal. Marincin has better chances of turning out than an average 4th round pick, at any rate... although he might not necessarily hack it as anything more than a 3rd pairing 18 minute guy.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
just fyi Edmonton turned that pick into Eric Gryba from Ottawa. So take that into some consideration on the Edmonton end. They probably had that lined up.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Im always curious why Edmonton feels they need to run defensemen out of town so fast.

Marincin was on the outside looking in with Nurse and Klefbom coming up let alone trading for Reinhart yesterday. Too many young lefties, we weren't going to be able to bring them all in. I expected Marincin to be dealt, but I certainly didn't think it would be for a 4th. It's great value for the Leafs.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Cherry picking here, it was the 4th or 5th link: "#85 Martin Marincin, 7. Played over 20 minutes, during which time Oilers’ had a Corsi of +20/-16, which is to say a much more favourable flow of play than any other defenceman on this night. Had 7 shot attempts himself, though 5 of them were blocked. Played within himself and looked calm and efficient, even in the third when the pairings were getting mixed and matched. The icing on his birthday cake was the shootout winner, something of a fortunate snipe to be sure, but it was great to see the generally-reserved Slovak beaming and celebrating the win with his teammates. Let’s just say he had a heckuva lot better 23rd birthday than former Oilers defenceman Steve Smith did."

Gives me hope for little cost.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Cherry picking here, it was the 4th or 5th link: "#85 Martin Marincin, 7. Played over 20 minutes, during which time Oilers’ had a Corsi of +20/-16, which is to say a much more favourable flow of play than any other defenceman on this night. Had 7 shot attempts himself, though 5 of them were blocked. Played within himself and looked calm and efficient, even in the third when the pairings were getting mixed and matched. The icing on his birthday cake was the shootout winner, something of a fortunate snipe to be sure, but it was great to see the generally-reserved Slovak beaming and celebrating the win with his teammates. Let’s just say he had a heckuva lot better 23rd birthday than former Oilers defenceman Steve Smith did."

Gives me hope for little cost.

Best move of our draft.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Im always curious why Edmonton feels they need to run defensemen out of town so fast.

Drafted Nurse, Klefbom, and Davidson on the left, and picked up Reinhart on the left. Have Schultz and Fayne on the right, and Ference. Gryba's a right handed defender, and adds grit so a better fit.

With Marincin waiver eligible, it's unlikely he'll be in the minors. Edmonton wasn't going to be playing him in the majors. Toronto might, so a good deal for both teams. I hope Martin the Martian shows the same level of play he did when he broke into the league - if so, you'll love this trade.

Good luck, Martin.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I agree that Edmonton needed to trade him, but I would have guessed that some team would be willing to offer at least a 3rd for him.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Guys it looks like Marincin was sent down to the AHL and was scratched during the playoffs.

Ya, the kid looked good on paper a few years ago but couldn't make an AHL lineup in the playoffs. So, let temper our expectations a little. There is a reason Edmonton traded him for so little.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Management asked him to bulk up in the offseason. He showed up at 200lbs(up from around 190lbs), but way out of shape. They seemed to sour pretty hard on him at that point. Add in the disappointing season and I don't there were too many fans of him left in the organization.

As for the player, he's got a solid wingspan with a great stick and is a good skater for his size. He excelled at defending the rush. Unfortunately he had absolutely no compete though. Straight up refused to go into the corners or any board battle.

Still could be an NHLer there, but I'm not too sure in what role. He's shown no signs of developing the physicality for the defensive side and has shown even less signs of eventually contributing in the offensive end.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Looks like we won this deal. I don't think it should be difficult for Babcock and the rest to whip Marincin into shape. Hopefully, this doesn't mean that Gardiner ends up being moved as well.

It'll depend on the return, though.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Oilers fan here. You guys absolutely fleeced Chiarelli on this one. Marincin was Edmonton's best d-man after Petry left.

He struggled this year at times...but it's because the Oilers organization was absolutely stupid with his development (and it still is below Chiarelli, honestly speaking. His left and right hand men now are the idiots that idioted the Oilers into Idiotville in the first place). They told him to put on 20 pounds over 4.5 months. And then they were confused as to why he wasn't as agile and mobile as he was the previous year. So they sent him down to the AHL. When Nelson got promoted, Marincin stuck around til the end and steadily improved all season. By the time Petry was traded, he was Edmonton's second best d-man and even though Klefbom has better puck moving ability, I'd still say Marincin was *net overall* Edmonton's best d-man between Petry leaving and the end of the year. He faced tougher opposition, tougher zone starts, and generally had as good or slightly worse possession stats as Klefbom. Fayne's inability to move the puck really limited him on a team with few people able to move the puck (in case anybody was wondering about where he fit in).

They've now traded their two best d-men on the worst d-corps in the league for...Eric Gryba, Griffin Reinhart, and nothing else that matters.

You guys should be thanking your lucky stars. Marincin will play 500+ games in the league, many of them as a top-4 d-man who plays tough minutes, tough zone starts, and moves the puck out of his own end efficiently. And all you gave up was a 4th rounder and an ECHLer whose fists are bigger than his head. Well done, as much as I hate saying that to Leafs fans.

He still has head scratching games and strings of games, but his English is still developing. He's really only starting to be able to take basic questions from the media now, and once that picks up, he should be more consistent-- that's what it looks like to me, anyway.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Guys it looks like Marincin was sent down to the AHL and was scratched during the playoffs.

Ya, the kid looked good on paper a few years ago but couldn't make an AHL lineup in the playoffs. So, let temper our expectations a little. There is a reason Edmonton traded him for so little.

No, you're wrong here. He was hurt in the playoffs according to a number of reports. He was lights out the series before his final one, from everything I read.

They traded him because they're the same club that traded a mid-1st and an early-2nd in the deepest draft in over a decade for a guy who wasn't even NYI's best d-man prospect in a farm system that is one of the worst in the league. And the guy who apparently pushed Chiarelli over the edge to make the deal was Reinhart's former GM with the Oil Kings.

Marincin's a risk, but not a big one. He'd be on virtually every team's bottom pairing, and there's a decent chance he could be on Toronto's middle pairing by mid-season.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Oilers fan here. You guys absolutely fleeced Chiarelli on this one. Marincin was Edmonton's best d-man after Petry left.

He struggled this year at times...but it's because the Oilers organization was absolutely stupid with his development (and it still is below Chiarelli, honestly speaking. His left and right hand men now are the idiots that idioted the Oilers into Idiotville in the first place). They told him to put on 20 pounds over 4.5 months. And then they were confused as to why he wasn't as agile and mobile as he was the previous year. So they sent him down to the AHL. When Nelson got promoted, Marincin stuck around til the end and steadily improved all season. By the time Petry was traded, he was Edmonton's second best d-man and even though Klefbom has better puck moving ability, I'd still say Marincin was *net overall* Edmonton's best d-man between Petry leaving and the end of the year. He faced tougher opposition, tougher zone starts, and generally had as good or slightly worse possession stats as Klefbom. Fayne's inability to move the puck really limited him on a team with few people able to move the puck (in case anybody was wondering about where he fit in).

They've now traded their two best d-men on the worst d-corps in the league for...Eric Gryba, Griffin Reinhart, and nothing else that matters.

You guys should be thanking your lucky stars. Marincin will play 500+ games in the league, many of them as a top-4 d-man who plays tough minutes, tough zone starts, and moves the puck out of his own end efficiently. And all you gave up was a 4th rounder and an ECHLer whose fists are bigger than his head. Well done, as much as I hate saying that to Leafs fans.

He still has head scratching games and strings of games, but his English is still developing. He's really only starting to be able to take basic questions from the media now, and once that picks up, he should be more consistent-- that's what it looks like to me, anyway.

Look forward to seeing him in blue n white, thanks for sharing.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

Thanks for the input. I was wondering why they were complaining about his weight (despite them asking him to put it on), then sending him down to the minors because they were disappointed that he got bigger.

I mean, I know bulking up slows you down, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't done properly. They probably just said "eat a lot and get bigger". But he didn't do the proper workouts to maximize those gains, and/or the proper "cut" towards september in order to shed that extra fat.

It kind of reminds me of what the leafs did to Luke Schenn. Telling him to get bigger and stronger asap, then wondering why he's slower and constantly out of position. If you're going to increase in size, you do it gradually. I'd say something like 5-7 lbs. per offseason tops.

I swear, I know what I know about fitness strictly from the internet alone, and I probably know better than some of these "professional trainers".

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for the input. I was wondering why they were complaining about his weight (despite them asking him to put it on), then sending him down to the minors because they were disappointed that he got bigger.

I mean, I know bulking up slows you down, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't done properly. They probably just said "eat a lot and get bigger". But he didn't do the proper workouts to maximize those gains, and/or the proper "cut" towards september in order to shed that extra fat.

It kind of reminds me of what the leafs did to Luke Schenn. Telling him to get bigger and stronger asap, then wondering why he's slower and constantly out of position. If you're going to increase in size, you do it gradually. I'd say something like 5-7 lbs. per offseason tops.

I swear, I know what I know about fitness strictly from the internet alone, and I probably know better than some of these "professional trainers".

Swinging back because this trade was awesome. You're right about the weight thing though. 10 lbs absolute max, 20 is crazy. Surprised this thread gets so little love. Good young player still developing.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
No, you're wrong here. He was hurt in the playoffs according to a number of reports. He was lights out the series before his final one, from everything I read.

They traded him because they're the same club that traded a mid-1st and an early-2nd in the deepest draft in over a decade for a guy who wasn't even NYI's best d-man prospect in a farm system that is one of the worst in the league. And the guy who apparently pushed Chiarelli over the edge to make the deal was Reinhart's former GM with the Oil Kings.

Marincin's a risk, but not a big one. He'd be on virtually every team's bottom pairing, and there's a decent chance he could be on Toronto's middle pairing by mid-season.

Thanks for the info. and the positive backing of this young player.

I got great seats on the glass in Buffalo with a crazy Oiler's fan a year ago and my memory of the entire game was him crushing on how Maricin was finally solving the Oiler's defence issues. I remember him being a very mobile skater with good decision-making. We'll see how he does with D.J. Smith coaching him here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is what an Oilers Blogger wrote on Marincin. Who is also a RFA. He might start with the Marlies IMO. I wouldn't get too excited about him, but maybe he could surprise with the right coach motivating him.

When the Oilers acquired Griffin Reinhart yesterday, I felt it meant the end of Martin Marincin in Edmonton and today the Oilers traded him to Toronto for pesky forward Brad Ross and the 107th pick.

Admittedly, I wasn't as high on Marincin as some others.

If Darnell Nurse shows he is ready to play in the NHL, I didn't see how the Oilers could start the season with Oscar Klefbom, Justin Schultz, Nurse, Reinhart and Marincin in the lineup. You can't have that much youth on the backend if you want to win.

Speaking with scouts at the draft, Marincin's value around the league was much lower than it was amongst some in Edmonton. Pretty much every scout echoed my thoughts on him. He has NHL skill and smarts, but has shown a lack of competitive desire in games. Three scouts who watched AHL playoffs were disappointed he didn't dominate at the AHL level. They all said teams would still take a chance on him, because of his skill, but his trade value is low.

http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/27/oilers-trade-martin-marincin-then-acquire-eric-gryba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad