Confirmed with Link: Leafs/Oilers - Ross + 4th (107th overall) for Marincin

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm excited about this pick up. Potentially a future top 4 guy on the Leafs blue line and he was acquired for basically nothing. Hope to see more asset management like this in the future.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Here is what an Oilers Blogger wrote on Marincin. Who is also a RFA. He might start with the Marlies IMO. I wouldn't get too excited about him, but maybe he could surprise with the right coach motivating him.
Admittedly, I wasn't as high on Marincin as some others.

http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/27/oilers-trade-martin-marincin-then-acquire-eric-gryba

Well he's honest, he wasn't high on him, got some confirmation on his dislike.

Leafs dumped a NHL contract held by a ECHL player and a 4th. round pick on a player who was able to play in the NHL at age 21 and 22.

There seems to be confirmation that the Oilers surprise may have mismanaged his development with the bigger is better approach.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Here is what an Oilers Blogger wrote on Marincin. Who is also a RFA. He might start with the Marlies IMO. I wouldn't get too excited about him, but maybe he could surprise with the right coach motivating him.

http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/27/oilers-trade-martin-marincin-then-acquire-eric-gryba

getting a project guy at his lowest value is smart trade-making. Maybe he is able to progress here with a different group of coaches that is far more experienced and put far less pressure on his performance and more on his preparation mentally and physically. Things may fall into place they may not. Not much investment so it's a "win-win".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3fC8kkcyUo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Leafs dumped a NHL contract held by a ECHL player and a 4th. round pick on a player who was able to play in the NHL at age 21 and 22.

There seems to be confirmation that the Oilers surprise may have mismanaged his development with the bigger is better approach.

I admittedly do not know much on this player, the rational part of me says, if he is not good enough to help a team that is worse than we were, and historically worse GA than us. How is he going to help us out?

I think the more telling comment on that blog is 3 scouts were cited said they were disappointed that he did not dominant the AHL last playoffs. To me he sounds like a talented guy without drive.

<chuckle> Ironically and this is what we are trying to trade right now. With some difficulty.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I admittedly do not know much on this player, the rational part of me says, if he is not good enough to help a team that is worse than we were, and historically worse GA than us. How is he going to help us out?

I think the more telling comment on that blog is 3 scouts were cited said they were disappointed that he did not dominant the AHL last playoffs. To me he sounds like a talented guy without drive.

<chuckle> Ironically and this is what we are trying to trade right now. With some difficulty.

I have targeted him in trades proposals in the past.

Seen him play quite a few games over the past couple of seasons, admittedly more last year than this year.

He impressed me, seems calm and capable of moving the puck. Mind you I probably was comparing him to the Leafs defenders in my mind and that's why I wanted him for the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have targeted him in trades proposals in the past.

Seen him play quite a few games over the past couple of seasons, admittedly more last year than this year.

He impressed me, seems calm and capable of moving the puck. Mind you I probably was comparing him to the Leafs defenders in my mind and that's why I wanted him for the Leafs.

That's fair enough. I respect your viewings of him. Hopefully you and The Leafs are right. I am keeping the expectations reasonable. I do not know if this will turn out to be a steal. Let's see it unfold. Maybe Keefe or Babcock are better coaches than Edmonton's coaches. Pat Burns turned an enigmatic Todd Gill into a pretty good D man once.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Shades of the Franson steal, minus the pick but also minus the bad Lombardi contract.

The guy in all likelihood wont be a top pairing but talent -wise could definitely see top 4 as a ceiling and that ain't bad for a 4th rounder and near-useless asset in Ross

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
A bottom pairing D. I don't mind it. If we are able to trade Dion someone has to play D. He also some size, although, he may not use it

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shades of the Franson steal, minus the pick but also minus the bad Lombardi contract.

The guy in all likelihood wont be a top pairing but talent -wise could definitely see top 4 as a ceiling and that ain't bad for a 4th rounder and near-useless asset in Ross

Franson ended up being a good chip via Burke and Nonis trades.

A parting gift of Dermott, Bracco, and Dzierkals for a player not returning this year. This may be a good lasting thought of that past regime.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He has pretty decent shot suppression numbers. Pretty big defenseman and still very young. Could even be our #4 next year if we move one of Phaneuf or Polak.

Like this move. Low risk but could turn out as a steal or another 5/6/7 guy for the Leafs.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Another idiotic move by the Oilers, tossing away a promising defender, one who has actually been one of our better D the last couple years, in spite of Oilers desperately trying to mess him up.

Very smart pickup for nothing.

kap0r

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
Just a quick chime in, since I've been following Martin for a while and kind of know his family/friends:

Martin is a really (and by really I mean EXTREMELY :laugh: - boyscout-like) hardworking, humble and polite guy, who was really bummed in Edmonton. Felt like he was mistreated and fed bullcrap by the management and it messed with his head big time, basically he wanted to get out of EDM as fast as possible.

He needs to fill up the big frame of his, learn to play more physical and mature a bit. On the other hand his skating, mitts and IQ are already on NHL level and he was one of the best defenders Slovakia had on the WC a year ago, playing mostly top minutes.

Definitely has top4 upside if you'll be patient and letting him ease in in a 5/6 role.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010

He's a gunnarsson-ish player, not the type that dominates. That being said, I understood that they benched him in the A too (is that correct)? That would be more concerning

Anyway I rate someone who has shown the ability to play in the NHL at a young age in a decently prominent role as more valuable than a fourth round pick. And upon reading their boards, even though some were okay with the trade, the majority were furious. And I didn't see one person who was happy with a fourth rounder as compensation.

All in all the potential reward seems much greater than the potential risk. Cant be unhappy with the trade

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The Leafs gave up nothing of note for a project that Babs gets to play with - it's a win in my book.

Take a big, smooth skating D (who usually don't find their game until around 25 anyways), one who has been miscast and misused in a horrible environment - give him to one of the best coaches in the league, who just added the Mem Cup coach to his staff, and let them patiently mold until we get something good.

They'll sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, and if the experiment doesn't work, no harm, no foul.

LOVE IT!

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
He's a gunnarsson-ish player, not the type that dominates. That being said, I understood that they benched him in the A too (is that correct)? That would be more concerning

Anyway I rate someone who has shown the ability to play in the NHL at a young age in a decently prominent role as more valuable than a fourth round pick. And upon reading their boards, even though some were okay with the trade, the majority were furious. And I didn't see one person who was happy with a fourth rounder as compensation.

All in all the potential reward seems much greater than the potential risk. Cant be unhappy with the trade

I don't think he was benched in the A. He started in the AHL last season, despite playing well in the NHL the season before. Which was due to management being morons, and telling him to put on 25 lbs over four and a half months. They basically Luke Schenn'd him.

As the season progressed, he was playing better and better in the AHL. He was lights out in the first round, but got injured, and was playing through injury after that. Which is why his production dropped.

The season before, once Petry left Edmonton, Marnicin was basically their best d-man. He had a lot of tough assignments, quite a bit of icetime (somewhere below 20 mins a game, but not much lower), and was only a -2 on a, well, we know how bad Edmonton is.

Granted this is just going by what I've heard from some Edmonton/Marincin fans that have replied earlier on in this thread. But we all know what Edmonton is like. It's the place where players' careers die.

Sounds like Marincin was being taught/developed improperly, and his whole "lack of showing drive" was likely because he was being mishandled by that organization, and didn't care.

I hope the Edmonton Oilers management is fond of the fact they now have a 23 year old player, in the echl, with an nhl contract. :)

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I don't think he was benched in the A. He started in the AHL last season, despite playing well in the NHL the season before. Which was due to management being morons, and telling him to put on 25 lbs over four and a half months. They basically Luke Schenn'd him.

As the season progressed, he was playing better and better in the AHL. He was lights out in the first round, but got injured, and was playing through injury after that. Which is why his production dropped.

The season before, once Petry left Edmonton, Marnicin was basically their best d-man. He had a lot of tough assignments, quite a bit of icetime (somewhere below 20 mins a game, but not much lower), and was only a -2 on a, well, we know how bad Edmonton is.

Granted this is just going by what I've heard from some Edmonton/Marincin fans that have replied earlier on in this thread. But we all know what Edmonton is like. It's the place where players' careers die.

Sounds like Marincin was being taught/developed improperly, and his whole "lack of showing drive" was likely because he was being mishandled by that organization, and didn't care.

I hope the Edmonton Oilers management is fond of the fact they now have a 23 year old player, in the echl, with an nhl contract. :)

The Oilers didn't extend Ross a qualifying offer so I doubt they care about it that much.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is what the Edmonton Journal had to say regarding Martin Marincin:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...s+Oilers+goodbye+Marincin/11173069/story.html

SUNRISE, Fla. — The Edmonton Oilers moved enigmatic defenceman Martin Marincin Saturday, dealing the 23-year-old to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It was no surprise to see the Oilers broker a deal for Marincin, who was the 46th pick overall in the 2010 entry draft.

The Leafs gave the Oilers pick No. 107 in the fourth round and forward Brad Ross, who was suspended this past season for steroid use while playing for the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies.

Marincin, who played for Slovakia in the 2014 Winter Olympics, has lots of skill, but the Oilers could never get him to play harder on puck carriers.

They wanted him to engage more in the corners but he was inconsistent. When sent back to the AHL’s Oklahoma City Barons last season, he didn’t get any traction. He left them wanting more.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Just a quick chime in, since I've been following Martin for a while and kind of know his family/friends:

Martin is a really (and by really I mean EXTREMELY :laugh: - boyscout-like) hardworking, humble and polite guy, who was really bummed in Edmonton. Felt like he was mistreated and fed bullcrap by the management and it messed with his head big time, basically he wanted to get out of EDM as fast as possible.

He needs to fill up the big frame of his, learn to play more physical and mature a bit. On the other hand his skating, mitts and IQ are already on NHL level and he was one of the best defenders Slovakia had on the WC a year ago, playing mostly top minutes.

Definitely has top4 upside if you'll be patient and letting him ease in in a 5/6 role.
Thanks for the info. Very excited to see what Babs can do with this kid. If there's any coach out there that can motivate and help a defenseman grow, its Mike Babcock. Look at his track record with many Dmen in Detroit

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This player is a full step above a 'project player' be prepared to be surprised how well he plays Leaf fans.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada

Any player coached by Dallas Eakins was mismanaged.
Edmonton wanted the fourth solely as a trading chip to flip for Eric Gryba in Ottawa who brings a different dimension than Marincin.
Toronto received good value for that fourth.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3