News Article: Leafs' Offseason Report Card = B+

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
i mean, our biggest concern was defense and we didn't properly address it as it stands, so i can see the reasoning for the grade. still a pretty decent grade though.

also worth noting that it's easier for a team who missed the playoffs to get a good grade because they can do a lot more with little risk. st louis' off-season looks great before any of those players have played a single game yet for the blues, but even if those signings do pan out that still doesn't make them a better team than the leafs, regardless of off-season grading. let's all keep that in mind.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
or to put it another way, washington had a "poor" off-season since they didn't do much. Maybe C- for washington. doesn't matter much though when you're at the top of the league.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
What a lousy article.

Our off-season has been sensational. Our front office made the right, difficult decision and proceeded with it's vision in promoting Kyle Dubas. We won the Calder Cup. Then our once and former AHL Championship winning GM walked on down the hall, dropped the A for an N and took his promotion and proceeded to sign to the most coveted free agent signing in recent memory, who, just happens to be from Toronto, a former number one pick, and is 27 years old...with a boat load of cash yet to be allocated.

That's an A+ off-season comrades.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The poster said "Lilly will be a top 4 d man in 5 years" so dont expect any quality posts.

This is easily the 15-20 time this Sticky111 kid has made this Lily post anytime he dislike my opinion lol ... and the guy from sesame street infracts me for saying "butt hurt" in a post and lets this sticky kid troll opinions lol

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
The poster said "Lilly will be a top 4 d man in 5 years" so dont expect any quality posts.

it's not unreasonable to expect dmen to develop at much slower rates. i'd argue reilly is still developing, this past season he certainly continued his development, and he is almost exactly 5 years older than timothy. of course reilly has been something for more than this past season, obviously.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
While the defense didn’t have the great showing against Boston had the offense been clicking we still would have fun. We need to keep the puck out of the net but we also need to embrace our strength and just fill the nets.

How is this not an A? The grades could change depending on what happens with Nylander though. I expect him to sign but until he does it’s still a question mark.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
disagree with the grade, at worst an A-

Landing Tavares was one of the biggest signings in decades. I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup this season, but I believe them contenders.

Maybe Dubas is still working on a deal for a top 4 D, or maybe he's fine letting the boys play this season and see what they can do. It's not outrageous to think that the overall team D is improved with adding Tavares, and losing a couple of our weaker defensive forwards in JVR and Bozak. Add the fact that our current D group will have another season to make some improvements.

The Leafs should be a scary team to play against this coming season. They say the best defense is a good offense. With 3 solid offensive lines , I see the Leafs spending more time in the opposing teams end, which means only good things for our defense.

Go Leafs Go!

You nailed it with that 3rd paragraph.

VERY well said. I couldn't agree more.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Not going to bother reading the "article", but...

-added the biggest free agent in franchise history
-got rid of the team's 3 biggest defensive problems
-ditched Martin and his terrible contract

That is an A offseason in my books.

If by chance they added a good defenceman before the season started, that would move it to an A+.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
it's not unreasonable to expect dmen to develop at much slower rates. i'd argue reilly is still developing, this past season he certainly continued his development, and he is almost exactly 5 years older than timothy. of course reilly has been something for more than this past season, obviously.
His progress since the draft shows he likely becomes one in less then 5 years.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Right now he's at an A+ (if you discount the draft), but it's not the end of the semester. If he fails to do the rest of his work (sign Nylander appropriately, resolve some log jams, have some sort of concrete plan for the defense), then sure he may only finish with a B+.

Well there is only so much cap, so what can be done immediately for defence? Isn't drafting Sandin, Durzi "some sort of plan" for the defence. Plus the last year signing of Borgman, Rosen, Ozhiganov and the drafting Liljegren, Rasenan. So without trading a good forward, for a good defencemen, seem to me a plan is in place. We'll see how successful it is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
B+ is fine or an "incomplete" is fine for now too.

Tavares is obviously amazing.

We don't know what the Nylander contract looks like and until the first night of the season, we don't know if anything else changes. Does Dubas shock us with a defenseman addition? Not bloody likely but obviously that's a move that changes the off-season rating.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Thank goodness Augello didn't mention the lack of toughness throughout the line up. Fans might actually reflect on the B+.

I'm sorry folks, but I'm going to mention it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Signing the biggest UFA in at least 12 years only gets you a B+?

I just don't think this was the right time to rate the off-season. Maybe at the beginning of training camp would be more appropriate, we have like 40 days to go still.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I just don't think this was the right time to rate the off-season. Maybe at the beginning of training camp would be more appropriate, we have like 40 days to go still.
Have to be the first one out there to get the attention. Seems to have worked.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad