News Article: Leafs' Offseason Report Card = B+

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Maple Leafs offseason report card: Toronto lands John Tavares, but still has holes to fill

Best quotes:

"The signing of Tavares is a home run for Toronto and could vault them to serious contender status in the Eastern Conference, but the club did not address their thin defensive corps, which could keep them from getting past either Tampa or Boston in the Atlantic Division.

The Leafs still have nearly $14 Million in available cap space, which could mean that adding a top four blueliner will be something that they try to do before the trade deadline."

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry, that's not a legitimate grade. When you grab the highest profile UFA since Scott Niedermayer over a decade ago, that's an A+ offseason, even if the fanboy depth chart didn't get filled with the Dream RHD.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Did he forget that the Leafs added RHD Igor Ozighanov? Or drafted Sandin and Durzi? We also signed our previous RHD draft pick in Jesper Lindgren.

So, to say we did nothing, isn't quite true. Sure, we didn't add any big names, or make a UFA splash and overpay someone.....

That we haven't made a trade, seems to speak more of the current trade environment, for what we need. There just isn't anyone available, at a price we'd pay, so why bother making a net negative trade?

I'd say Dubas hasn't made a panic move, signed some new D players, and made some interesting draft picks. He's improved team defense, with Tavares and letting go those who were weak defensively.

Now we see how it plays out, and who becomes available, to address those issues, depending on how OZ or Carrick play, and how Zaitsev rebounds. You don't make moves, unless you hope it improves the team overall.

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
disagree with the grade, at worst an A-

Landing Tavares was one of the biggest signings in decades. I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup this season, but I believe them contenders.

Maybe Dubas is still working on a deal for a top 4 D, or maybe he's fine letting the boys play this season and see what they can do. It's not outrageous to think that the overall team D is improved with adding Tavares, and losing a couple of our weaker defensive forwards in JVR and Bozak. Add the fact that our current D group will have another season to make some improvements.

The Leafs should be a scary team to play against this coming season. They say the best defense is a good offense. With 3 solid offensive lines , I see the Leafs spending more time in the opposing teams end, which means only good things for our defense.

Go Leafs Go!

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, that's not a legitimate grade. When you grab the highest profile UFA since Scott Niedermayer over a decade ago, that's an A+ offseason, even if the fanboy depth chart didn't get filled with the Dream RHD.
And although Niedermayer won the Norris a month before signing with Anaheim, he was 31 at the time. Tavares signed at age 27.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Tavares is the best player to hit unrestricted free agency in a decade (?) and the Leafs manage to sign him, that is probably worth the B+ alone.

But I would have to agree that the glaring hole in the team was not addressed as of yet. If every fan on here could tell you that the defense is the weakest part with certainty, then maybe there is room for huge improvement and they don't deserve any higher of a grade.

The season hasn't started yet, but I'm not sure how many top 4 dmen are going to become available between now and the start of the season.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's still the "off season" on my calendar .

While this is true, a majority of the off-season has already played out.

From the end of the season, the draft & free agency, we're 3/4 of the way through the off-season. All of the big name free agents have signed - Tavares, JVR. The large trades have happened - Flames trade Hamilton for Hanifin and the Draft sees the Sabres take Dahlin.

It's not to say that trades can't happen now. But a lot of the leg work to forming the team has been done.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
While this is true, a majority of the off-season has already played out.

From the end of the season, the draft & free agency, we're 3/4 of the way through the off-season. All of the big name free agents have signed - Tavares, JVR. The large trades have happened - Flames trade Hamilton for Hanifin and the Draft sees the Sabres take Dahlin.

It's not to say that trades can't happen now. But a lot of the leg work to forming the team has been done.
Signing RFA's should still happen. Depending on the contracts won't that change the grade ?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Signing RFA's should still happen. Depending on the contracts won't that change the grade ?

Every team should be able to sign their own RFA's. IMO, I don't think that it's a thing that you should be rewarded for on a grading scale. Unless the contract is ridiculous and it would count against your grading.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Every team should be able to sign their own RFA's. IMO, I don't think that it's a thing that you should be rewarded for on a grading scale. Unless the contract is ridiculous and it would count against your grading.
Too each their own. IMO, the signing of the Nylander, Matthews, Marner may have the largest impact of any off season activity.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If there are questions about the 4th line (perhaps 1 or 2 players to fill), and the lack of a RHD then that's probably a good sign for this season. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad