News Article: Leafs' Offseason Report Card = B+

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If the Leafs were a B then who was an A? Lol

So, we should have gotten an A+ then, or maybe just a plain A (worst case)? That seems to indicate that everything was perfect (or near perfect in the case of an "A" rating).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes, people prefer quantity of deals over quality of deals. The Blues are getting so much props for an offseason including acquiring Bozak. Why?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Don't know where you come with fantasy figure of 14m. You have to add Nylander's salary. Then if you don't want to have any carryover bonuses from 2018/19 into the following year, that's another 4.5m. For the Leafs to be eligible to not carryover the bonuses, Horton's salary of 5.3m has to the roster.
as of right now, the leafs have 13. 8 million dollars of cap space, which is nearly 14 million. you can't add nylander's salary because he isn't signed yet.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Is the B+ rating the highest in the league? Did any other team sign a player of Tavares quality? Camp hasn't even started and this guys rating how the Leafs have faired this off season. I'm excited too,but at least wait till they're done ! Besides I give Dubas an easy A so far!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It sounds like they’re not only overlooking the fact that they brought in such a high profile UFA but at the same time they completely motivated and upgraded on the holes left by Bozak/JVR and moving on from aging vets should also be a consideration while trading Martin.

I’d say it was an A offseason... the only way it would have been an A+ is if they did make a bigger splash for the blue line.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I'd agree and also say it was like an A off season by dubas and all of them suckas but there lies a big question concerning our toughness and hardness game for surely. We don't have a fool who could fight against wilson, reaves etc if they run over our suckas or even goalies or coaches. We ain't got that right now. Kadri can even talk the talk but not fight against these bullies himself.... we need that big kahuna sucka type killa who did that. So dubas might have to get a fool who can hit and fight and get that sucka hard, but only then the off season action would drop to A- or something like that there. The hardness and walking and pushing that biggest sucka on the ice on our part remains to be a question like shapespeare for surely mayne. Remember that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It sounds like they’re not only overlooking the fact that they brought in such a high profile UFA but at the same time they completely motivated and upgraded on the holes left by Bozak/JVR and moving on from aging vets should also be a consideration while trading Martin.

I’d say it was an A offseason... the only way it would have been an A+ is if they did make a bigger splash for the blue line.

Pretty much.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
You don’t sign the biggest free agent in years and come away with a letter grade besides an “A.” I personally would’ve given an A- on the offseason, but that’s so close to B+ anyway. Perception is everything though.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Moving Martin, and his cap hit, without having to give up any real assets, was nearly an A+ move on it's own.
The fact that we were able to move a player who was health scratched most of the season with no retention and grab a goalie for our new echl team was amazing. Dubas destroyed Lou on that trade.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Biggest UFA signing probably ever and you get a B+? What a joke. The level of preparation to make that happen was immense. What a moron.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
ITT: People caring way too much about what The Sporting News has to say.

Can we just put a moratorium on posting articles from:
The Hockey News
The Sporting News
All Sun Media publications
ESPN
Hockeybuzz
Berger's Bytes
Bleacher Report
Anything Dave Feschuk

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Right now he's at an A+ (if you discount the draft), but it's not the end of the semester. If he fails to do the rest of his work (sign Nylander appropriately, resolve some log jams, have some sort of concrete plan for the defense), then sure he may only finish with a B+.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I had a professor who graded this way, no matter how well you did no one ever got an A. Anyway it's just one man's opinion, I'm more interested in the on season.

Reactions: Eb

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
My grade? Incomplete. Dubas may not be done this off season. Signing JT is wonderful but what happens if we get KO'ed in the first round? Again. Is it a salary cap thing? Or maybe not enough done this off season. On the other hand if we get to the finals then the grade is obviously an A. Too early to tell. Another slow news day around here......

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
meh... I'll file this under the who cares category.

If anything, Augello was probably trying hard not to come across as a homer.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
A+.

There hasn’t been one move I haven’t liked. And there has been a lot I love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad