Post-Game Talk: Leafs Offense Flies High in Winnipeg | 6-3 Win

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought Andersen let in 1.5 soft goals.

Kapanen's pass to Engvall was intelligent.

Leafs could have buried them in the 1st. except for some posts.

Rielly has something up, seems to freeze with the puck not knowing where to move it. Did make a good clear near the net.

There were some moments when the Jets forced the Leafs but that was aided by the Leafs tendency to create their own issues.

Lack of basic instinct defensively is frustrating as well. He was fishing for that puck when Laine was coming in and Rielly is a strong guy, why not step into him or give him a shot to the chops with an arm to step him up?

He kept him to the outside but Laine still was able to keep possession and score kind of a shitty goal but that is my problem with Rielly defensively. If he stepped up on him or knocked him off the puck, then he has the puck and can go the other way with it versus letting Laine or other players more chances to score in our end.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
That makes up for his very low shooting percentage early in the season.

Our PDO has definitely been slightly higher. Shooting percentages being way up accounts for a lot of that for sure. Andersen has 3 sub .870% save percentage games in his last 5 games, 2 of those are wins.

Andersen has been average to bad in a few games recently. I'm not surprised to see that save percentage. He was a big reason the team started to turn around under Keefe, but the Offence has definitely picked up the slack quite a few times in the last 5-7 games.

I do hope the coaching staff can work out some kinks defensively as the season goes on. They'll never be a top defensive team the way they're currently built, but they can improve while continuing to play to their strengths.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I sorta feel bad for Jets fans. Losing 6-3 and having your home rink be 50-50 split in fan support does suck.

I've witnessed it living in Ottawa they hate us because our fans take over their building. It's a territorial thing.
It is a combo of availability/price of game thing. Leaf fans can get/afford seats in Ottawa. At home most Leaf fans either can't get 4 tickets or can't afford price of admission. and it is a 5 hour ride. same thing happens in Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo and over holidays in various other locations.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Andersen has been average to bad in a few games recently. I'm not surprised to see that save percentage. He was a big reason the team started to turn around under Keefe, but the Offence has definitely picked up the slack quite a few times in the last 5-7 games.

I do hope the coaching staff can work out some kinks defensively as the season goes on. They'll never be a top defensive team the way they're currently built, but they can improve while continuing to play to their strengths.
We need the NHL free flowing game to continue until at least the end of January. This way we can pile up the points in the standings and then coast in once playoff hockey creeps back into the NHL.

Reactions: Jmo89

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy shooting 21% the past few weeks is a tad lucky.

Overall I think its balanced by Freddy being a bit poor lately. Not sure what our PDO is though
It is amazing what Willy can do when he decides to hit the net with his shot. Guess what either the goalie has to make a save or we have a goal. Too many times before Keefe Willy was happy to watch his shots hit the glass. and Babs never punished/rewarded him for it. when you don't coach for the issue the issue remains. A simple track and measure program with Willy seems to have been the tonic.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Willy shooting 21% the past few weeks is a tad lucky.

Overall I think its balanced by Freddy being a bit poor lately. Not sure what our PDO is though
Tbf he's going to the net more so some goals are tap ins or open nets like today.

Either way I much like willy at 21 % then 4% haha.

Reactions: Jmo89

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
8-1-1 in the last 10.
7th in the league.
+17 goal differential (T-7th)
152 goals for (1st)
0.607 points %
13 road wins on the season.
FIRMLY in the playoff picture.

Not one, not two but THREE over PPG players, with Willy at 0.90 PPG.

This offense is pure coke.

I knew that the Peg was gonna suffer losing so many D from last year, including Trouba (their best) and second-pair Myers, add Fat Buff to the losses and it's gonna be a hard time for them.

And people say we need to trade a forward for a Dman?!

I'd like to see our record against Canadian teams since like 2016-17.

I know we've been speedbagging Edmonton and Winnipeg, and suspect we come up aces against Vancouver but I'm curious to the rest.

32-15-8.

Best record is against Edmonton, 7-0
Worst is against Ottawa 5-6-2 (Only losing record out of all Canadian teams)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The first 2 Leafs goals were rather fortunate. Circumstances of the game dictate play as well. This forced Winnipeg to open up a little more and the Leafs have some quality chances. They looked lethargic for portions of the game IMO, but reality is they won and are full marks for doing so.

That is what I was referring to as fortunate on some of Leafs goals.

Hellebuyck leaves it behind his own net on a muffed play and Brooks says thanks to Nylander for an open net. 1-0.
Jets Dman Luca Sbisa skates the puck into his own zone losses in the slot and Kapanen says thanks and its 2-0.
after Connor snipes on to make it 2-1 .. Kerfoot hits the post and Dermott is standing the crease for a 1 inch tap in as the puck lies in the crease.

Even Marner's PP goal hits Hellebuyck while unscreaned and he muffs it and it ends up in the net. 9 out of 10 times that is a routine save ..

These are not normal nor skilled Leafs goals but rather fortunate based off of Jets mistakes and real off night for Hellebuyck as Jets beat themselves in this one.

The Tavares to Kerfoot to Nylander goal that was a skilled play and a beauty.

Karma seems to be on Leafs side and Leafs are riding this hot streak combined with some good fortune as Leafs mustered only 11 shots on net over half way through the game but up 5-3 mostly due to sloppy play and soft goaltending by the opposition.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
t up 5-3 mostly due to sloppy play and soft goaltending by the opposition.

That's just not true and I am not sure why people keep repeating it. The Jets were giving us a ridiculous amount of high danger chances, we were actually unlucky last night capitalizing on them. This game could have been 7 or 8 to 3, no question about it. Helle wasn't great but only 1 goal was truly Sparkish.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Lack of basic instinct defensively is frustrating as well. He was fishing for that puck when Laine was coming in and Rielly is a strong guy, why not step into him or give him a shot to the chops with an arm to step him up?

He kept him to the outside but Laine still was able to keep possession and score kind of a ****ty goal but that is my problem with Rielly defensively. If he stepped up on him or knocked him off the puck, then he has the puck and can go the other way with it versus letting Laine or other players more chances to score in our end.
Rielly did body him, but Laine is a big dude coming down with speed and momentum. Then rielly blocked the first shot Laine took and thus was not able to keep burying him, but Laine was in a very low percentage position after that. The defense on that play was not weak

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
These are not normal nor skilled Leafs goals but rather fortunate based off of Jets mistakes and real off night for Hellebuyck as Jets beat themselves in this one.
We had multiple posts and more scoring chances overall than Jets, who got a goal on a fortuitous bounce themselves. There's no reason to be negative about this performance, Mess. With average "puck luck" we likely still win this game 3-2.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Hellebuyck leaves it behind his own net on a muffed play and Brooks says thanks to Nylander for an open net. 1-0.
Jets Dman Luca Sbisa skates the puck into his own zone losses in the slot and Kapanen says thanks and its 2-0.
after Connor snipes on to make it 2-1 .. Kerfoot hits the post and Dermott is standing the crease for a 1 inch tap in as the puck lies in the crease.

Even Marner's PP goal hits Hellebuyck while unscreaned and he muffs it and it ends up in the net. 9 out of 10 times that is a routine save ..

Karma seems to be on Leafs side and Leafs are riding this hot streak combined with some good fortune as Leafs mustered only 11 shots on net over half way through the game but up 5-3 mostly due to sloppy play and soft goaltending by the opposition.
No such thing as Karma
You play the game ..
82 different games , different periods , situations , moments and events through out ..
You win , , you loose ..or get looser points ..
Nobody is watching every second of every game between every team , to determine how the outcome came about .
At the end of the day , and regular season and then playoffs and right to the final buzzer of the last game , it’s about one team , one team that wins it all .
Karma, Shmarma
, is for losing teams ...

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No such thing as Karma
You play the game ..
82 different games , different periods , situations , moments and events through out ..
You win , you tie , you loose ..
Nobody is watching every second of every game between every team , to determine how the outcome came about .
At the end of the day , and regular season and then playoffs and right to the final buzzer of the last game , it’s about one team , one team that wins it all .
Karma, Shmarma
, is for losing teams ...
There are no more tie games!
:)

Jun 27, 2005
Part of what problem? Contrary to the notion on HF boards, random fans on a discussion forum being homers or haters doesn't really have any affect on team performance. If Toronto sucks comes playoffs or wins the cup it will have nothing to do with HF.

To be honest, I find it far more pretentious when people feel the need to police a discussion forum with their self proclaimed realist label (not saying you did that.) Fan = fanatic. The expectation that fans should be humdrum after a win would be far more damaging to the game than fans being fans. It's entertainment after all.

Tampa Bay just got shelled by Montreal and Vas made 38 saves. I doubt people will be talking about that when they likely come back to win the division. The 2 points is what matters.

BTW, if you're going to point to a fan base overvaluing their teams performance you should probably set your sights on Manitoba. Suddenly their team is a world beater because they had 50 shots. But hey, it's fans being fans. Good for them.

Facts not fanatics are what is important and the facts are that while the Leafs didn't play great they did out play the Jet's regardless of the shot differential.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rielly did body him, but Laine is a big dude coming down with speed and momentum. Then rielly blocked the first shot Laine took and thus was not able to keep burying him, but Laine was in a very low percentage position after that. The defense on that play was not weak

Rielly wasn't committed to bodying him. I have seen that guy take (prime) Lucic off the puck.

I know he's injured but damn.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

No team can win without some luck, that’s just part of the game, but the stats and the eye test both suggest leafs were the better team and deserved the win.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Facts not fanatics are what is important and the facts are that while the Leafs didn't play great they did out play the Jet's regardless of the shot differential.

Yep, and facts also show that overall our opinions on a message board aren't that important when it comes to on-ice results. :laugh:

The 2 points the Leafs got last night are important though, I agree. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad