Post-Game Talk: Leafs Offense Flies High in Winnipeg | 6-3 Win

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes, I like Spezza on our team and what he brings, but Johnsson needs to be doing more with that kind of ice time. Not sure where he fits when he comes back because Hyman - Matthews - Marner is a damn good 1st line right now.
Don't think it's the best idea to use samples when moron Babcock was the coach. Look at most players numbers in that timeframe.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Another game another win. Didn’t watch the game but the highlights were good.
Willie played well and I think Kerfoot is a better LW than 3C.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Now take off eh! Back to Atlanta ya hosers!

Pretty much.

It was funny reading some of the Jets posters comments about the Leafs. Here is a city that has never won a damn thing dating back to the 70s, they lost their team to f***ing Phoenix and now have Atlanta's sloppy seconds. I'll take 1967 every day of the week over that.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
What's the record for most shots with the least scoring chances? Laine set that tonight

Laine led all players with 7 scoring chances so I doubt he set the record... Leafs with most scoring chances were Matthews and Nylander with 4 each.

Reactions: hn777

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The Leafs capitalized on mistakes and bad goaltending, it wasn't one of their better efforts. But a win is a win. This is the problem, people see 6-3 and think they were some sort of juggernaut, but they didnt play well.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The Leafs capitalized on mistakes and bad goaltending, it wasn't one of their better efforts. But a win is a win. This is the problem, people see 6-3 and think they were some sort of juggernaut, but they didnt play well.

They had a positive xGF% playing against a healthy team, on the road, with injuries to their #2 defenceman and a few decent forwards.

Seems like your take is a little overly negative...

upload_2020-1-3_8-7-45.png

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Funny game. It seemed like most of the Leafs were sleepwalking all night. Nylander and Kappy were dialed in, and the fourth line was good, but all of our other forwards were kind of moving through sludge. And yet we absolutely thumped the piss out of them. Hellebucyk was a seive, but we had a ridiculous amount of high danger chances on them, Matthews even had that shift where he had two clean looks from 12 feet out after Hyman fed him the puck. The forwards looked shocked when the passes were connecting and were pump-faking/double clutching themselves all night because the defenders bit on everything. Kind of hilarious really.

The defense and Freddy were bizarre too. Freddy let in some softies, but stood on his head. Our defense was a scrambled mess, but managed to keep a lot to the outside. I thought we were obviously the better team, but half of that game footage should just be burned. Feels good to play a disjointed mess and beat the crap out of them.

The Jets have the defense that the mainboards think we have. Those guys were brutal.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

You're right, it wasn't one of the Leafs better efforts. But they are a juggernaut because they didn't play that well and thumped the other guys. Hellebucyk was a sieve, but we had 14 high danger chances to their 8. If we can play like crap and still whoop those nerds, then we kind of do look like a juggernaut.

Reactions: Brown Dog and weems

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Brooks was noticeably better and faster today. You could tell he had a lot of adrenaline playing in his hometown. Marchment wasn't very noticeable other than a hit he had. That fourth line overall didn't play much but had some decent moments when they weren't up against Scheifele.

Overall Leafs played okay against a strong team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
How misleading were the shot differentials?

I saw the highlights and there weren’t many of Winnipeg’s efforts. Assuming they were nothing low risk shots?

Yep. Eye test and advanced stats agree. Even Andersen said that he faced a lot of rubber but nothing dangerous.

Winnipeg gives up some of the most high danger chances and generates not as many. They play Babcock hockey that we played to start the season...shoot from everywhere.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I thought Brooks was noticeably better and faster today.

Call me crazy but I think that Brooks is going to be given a shot at 4 or even 3 C next year. Kerfoot looking fantastic with JT and Willy creates a very different look to the offseason

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone know the team xGF for the game?

Curious to see how quality the Jets shots were

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Call me crazy but I think that Brooks is going to be given a shot at 4 or even 3 C next year. Kerfoot looking fantastic with JT and Willy creates a very different look to the offseason

A lot of players are getting their very early audition for next season. Brooks seems like a capable depth player. Not sure about regular every day player, but he's a player.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
How misleading were the shot differentials?

I saw the highlights and there weren’t many of Winnipeg’s efforts. Assuming they were nothing low risk shots?

I think it was a split. What the Leafsare doing well right now is collapsing to take away high danger chances and let Freddie see the puck. They did this really well and avoided the huge giveaway error and soft back check that was hurting them before.

that said, Winnipeg has a lot of talented fast forwards and Freddie had to be excellent a bunch of times.

Leafs played great possession in Winnipeg’s zone and the shot attempt and shots on goal numbers for the Leafs are lower than the play indicated. It’s a little like watching the Russians in the 70s.

The Leaf pressure D in the 3rd was great. In the second, Freddiehad to keep us from being blown out of the building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad