Post-Game Talk: Leafs Offense Flies High in Winnipeg | 6-3 Win

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
We had multiple posts and more scoring chances overall than Jets, who got a goal on a fortuitous bounce themselves. There's no reason to be negative about this performance, Mess. With average "puck luck" we likely still win this game 3-2.

They should have played as perfect of a game as Tampa Bay did last night. :sarcasm:

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
That might be true but high danger chances is very subject to interpretation. It felt to me that Winnie had the puck more, they definitely outshot TO and Freddy had to be at his best for TO to win. We can blame this on the d but TO's best d is the result of the team having possession.
A win is a win but tonite it felt like Winnie deserved the win.

It's not really interpretation and you can tell during the games when crowd says "Ohhhh!!!".
Peg strategy was to pepper our goalie with pucks and hope to jam one in on rebound. Problem is that it might work in weak West, but most technically sound goalies will put all of those shoots aside, freeze or direct rebounds to the corners. That will not work on most good goalies.
Peg deserved exactly one goal in this game and Freddy did not have particularly good game (0.908 sv%). Our offense just destroyed their D, PK and goalie. Simple fact. No need to fantasize that Peg "deserved" something. They got _exactly_ what they deserved in this game. L.

Last edited:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The Jets and their arena are terrible. Such a small market town.
Very easy win. Leafs looked like they had fun just toying with them.

Reactions: Lilou

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
To be honest, I find it far more pretentious when people feel the need to police a discussion forum with their self proclaimed realist label (not saying you did that.) Fan = fanatic. .

Ya, being a newbie here, that's something I have noticed. Your going to get a wide variance of opinions in an internet opinion forum. Trying to police it and ensure that folks have the same opinion as yours seems a tad unrealistic for the environment. Seems to be a lot of pressure to conform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I sorta feel bad for Jets fans. Losing 6-3 and having your home rink be 50-50 split in fan support does suck.

I've witnessed it living in Ottawa they hate us because our fans take over their building. It's a territorial thing.

Sometimes I feel like its closer to 70-30 in favor of us. In Edmonton when I could afford Leaf tickets id take my Dad (the Oiler fan, put away the torches thanks to him I am a Leaf fan) and he would be sandwiched between me and other Leaf fans. I remember at the old rink in the 300 sections it felt like a party up there for us 90% blue and white jerseys

Reactions: David MORO

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The Jets and their arena are terrible. Such a small market town.
Very easy win. Leafs looked like they had fun just toying with them.

Well, its a small facility compared to most, but I don't see a lot of bad in general with the franchise. They get good support from their fans, and I tend to draw a comparison between the Jets and the Green Bay Packers.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Well, its a small facility compared to most, but I don't see a lot of bad in general with the franchise. They get good support from their fans, and I tend to draw a comparison between the Jets and the Green Bay Packers.
Except the Packers have a storied history and have actually won something.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Rielly wasn't committed to bodying him. I have seen that guy take (prime) Lucic off the puck.

I know he's injured but damn.
I know what you're saying but physics has a lot to do with the situations.
Rielly skating backwards, Laine skating forwards.
Liane deked to his left and Rielly pivoted and made contact at that point. This stumbled both players a little but Tielly took the worst of it due to his angle and unstable position. Even then he managed to get down and his stick in position to block Laines first, and more dangerous shot while still forcing Laine into a worse shooting position.
It was an amazing shot and Freddie was out of position for it.
I just don't think that is a good example of a bad play from Rielly.
I'm personally still happy with Mo. He can still put up 50 points this season and imho still doing his job in the defensive zone. If anything I see him struggling more with the adjustments Keefe has made, but he will get there soon

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

OK, so the Packers have been around longer, but the basic idea or principle is applicable. Sounds good. Not sure why its so important to find the negative?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Kinda silly to say that when they had no team for how long till the Atlanta moved there? The Moose played there no one expected NHL hockey to comeback when that rink was built. Only pro sports they had was the Bombers

Reactions: Zoltar

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Kinda silly to say that when they had no team for how long till the Atlanta moved there? The Moose played there no one expected NHL hockey to comeback when that rink was built. Only pro sports they had was the Bombers
Um...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know what you're saying but physics has a lot to do with the situations.
Rielly skating backwards, Laine skating forwards.
Liane deked to his left and Rielly pivoted and made contact at that point. This stumbled both players a little but Tielly took the worst of it due to his angle and unstable position. Even then he managed to get down and his stick in position to block Laines first, and more dangerous shot while still forcing Laine into a worse shooting position.
It was an amazing shot and Freddie was out of position for it.
I just don't think that is a good example of a bad play from Rielly.
I'm personally still happy with Mo. He can still put up 50 points this season and imho still doing his job in the defensive zone. If anything I see him struggling more with the adjustments Keefe has made, but he will get there soon

I think he's been pretty horrendous this year defensively. Lots of bad reads and unforced giveaways. Barrie and Ceci aren't exactly stellar or ideal partners for him but still.

He's been injured since game 1 vs Boston of this regular season though so I have to keep reminding myself of this. This is probably the first time in the entire tenure Rielly has been a Leaf where I have been frustrated with him.

Reactions: saltming

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The leafs were clearly the better team. Long distance shots on goal aren’t the key to a win.

the leafs doubled the jets in scoring chances and high danger scoring chances.

6 goals. 2 posts. 2 missed empty nets. The leafs were the better team easily for 45 min of the game.

not perfect. But a deserved win

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
That is what I was referring to as fortunate on some of Leafs goals.

Hellebuyck leaves it behind his own net on a muffed play and Brooks says thanks to Nylander for an open net. 1-0.
Jets Dman Luca Sbisa skates the puck into his own zone losses in the slot and Kapanen says thanks and its 2-0.
after Connor snipes on to make it 2-1 .. Kerfoot hits the post and Dermott is standing the crease for a 1 inch tap in as the puck lies in the crease.

Even Marner's PP goal hits Hellebuyck while unscreaned and he muffs it and it ends up in the net. 9 out of 10 times that is a routine save ..

These are not normal nor skilled Leafs goals but rather fortunate based off of Jets mistakes and real off night for Hellebuyck as Jets beat themselves in this one.

The Tavares to Kerfoot to Nylander goal that was a skilled play and a beauty.

Karma seems to be on Leafs side and Leafs are riding this hot streak combined with some good fortune as Leafs mustered only 11 shots on net over half way through the game but up 5-3 mostly due to sloppy play and soft goaltending by the opposition.

I don't understand your argument against the Dermott goal. It was lying on the goal line because of a grade A scoring chance that the Leafs created. It was lucky for the Jets that Kerfoot didn't bury it originally.

It was far from a perfect game, but we deserved that win.
upload_2020-1-3_12-49-19.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->