Post-Game Talk: Leafs Offense Flies High in Winnipeg | 6-3 Win

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A lot of players are getting their very early audition for next season. Brooks seems like a capable depth player. Not sure about regular every day player, but he's a player.

Definitely not a sure thing, but I wouldn't cap him. He's had a decently long development curve at both the WHL and AHL levels.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
translation: he doesn't really understand what's happening

Especially considering Winnipeg is one of the first examples many would say we cant handle due to being too small and soft.

If anything it looks like Winnipeg cant handle our speed and talent edge.

They have trouble beating us.

Reactions: stopclickbait

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought Andersen let in 1.5 soft goals.

Kapanen's pass to Engvall was intelligent.

Leafs could have buried them in the 1st. except for some posts.

Rielly has something up, seems to freeze with the puck not knowing where to move it. Did make a good clear near the net.

There were some moments when the Jets forced the Leafs but that was aided by the Leafs tendency to create their own issues.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Not sure what's lucky about our recent play?

Stunk against the Rangers, got a point.
Stunk against New Jersey, won it OT
Carolina game was pond hockey
Almost blew it against Buffalo

Those were some games that could have easily went the other way. But on the whole, they have been pretty impressive.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Stunk against the Rangers, got a point.
Stunk against New Jersey, won it OT
Carolina game was pond hockey
Almost blew it against Buffalo

Those were some games that could have easily went the other way. But on the whole, they have been pretty impressive.

"Stunk" is rather exaggerating the situation. They had plenty of stretches in those games where they had their moments and were not "stinking". That Carolina game the Leafs controlled play for large amounts of that game. I would say our worst game(s) were definitely against Buffalo in that back to back.

Not sure what's lucky about any of that. Good teams don't dominate game in and out of every game.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Watching the highlights, Andersen should have had two of those three goals, that Connor one was just a perfect shot.

In saying that, tough to be mad about his performance, made some timely saves throughout the night.

I still think the game should have been 6-0 after the first.

Reactions: ER89 and ULF_55

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Leafs were outshot by quite a big margin, but if you watched the game most of the Jets shots were not quality shots and the Jets didn't have more puck posession, which you'd expect when you outshoot the opponent. If you only look at the stats you'd think that this was an ugly win and Freddy stole it, but that wasn't the case. Stats definitely don't tell it all. Good game for the Leafs, they played well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The Leafs were outshot by quite a big margin, but if you watched the game most of the Jets shots were not quality shots and the Jets didn't have more puck posession, which you'd expect when you outshoot the opponent. If you only look at the stats you'd think that this was an ugly win and Freddy stole it, but that wasn't the case. Stats definitely don't tell it all. Good game for the Leafs, they played well.
yup. The "take as many shots as you can" motto will get you the odd goal like Laine's once in a while, the only problem is they would need another 48 shots just to tie it up.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
"Stunk" is rather exaggerating the situation. They had plenty of stretches in those games where they had their moments and were not "stinking". That Carolina game the Leafs controlled play for large amounts of that game. I would say our worst game(s) were definitely against Buffalo in that back to back.

Not sure what's lucky about any of that. Good teams don't dominate game in and out of every game.

They werent good in those games. I'm just trying to be reasonable. They have looked very impressive lately, but have gotten away with some stinkers as well. I dont expect them to dominate every game, but some people on here think Keefe is some sort of magician. In reality, they are a talented team that is now actually playing like they want to win.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They werent good in those games. I'm just trying to be reasonable. They have looked very impressive lately, but have gotten away with some stinkers as well. I dont expect them to dominate every game, but some people on here think Keefe is some sort of magician. In reality, they are a talented team that is now actually playing like they want to win.

He was able to take this team from bottom of the pit in almost every category to the top of almost every category from pretty much day 1. From special teams to shots to scoring chances to expected goals to just wins. You name it, and it has improved tenfold. I would say that this definitely on Keefe for a big big part of it. It's really not just a coincidence.

But for the most part, the Leafs have been really good in pretty much most games in this current stretch. They didn't dominate or whatever in a lot of them but to say they weren't good or stunk in a lot of the games they won is pretty unreasonable to be perfectly honest.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I sorta feel bad for Jets fans. Losing 6-3 and having your home rink be 50-50 split in fan support does suck.

I've witnessed it living in Ottawa they hate us because our fans take over their building. It's a territorial thing.

Reactions: kb and David MORO

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He was able to take this team from bottom of the pit in almost every category to the top of almost every category from pretty much day 1. From special teams to shots to scoring chances to expected goals to just wins. You name it, and it has improved tenfold. I would say that this definitely on Keefe for a big big part of it. It's really not just a coincidence.

But for the most part, the Leafs have been really good in pretty much most games in this current stretch. They didn't dominate or whatever in a lot of them but to say they weren't good or stunk in a lot of the games they won is pretty unreasonable to be perfectly honest.

Agree to disagree. Coaching doesnt have the great impact on player performance on the ice in professional sports as some people think it does. The Leafs players gave up on their coach and the coach gave up on the organization. Its always on the players to perform. You can have the greatest coach in the world, but if the players arent good enough or dont care enough it wont really matter. Also, if you have good players and a team that wants it, your coach can be mediocre and still win.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The Leafs capitalized on mistakes and bad goaltending, it wasn't one of their better efforts. But a win is a win. This is the problem, people see 6-3 and think they were some sort of juggernaut, but they didnt play well.

Meh. Shot count makes this look closer then it should. Really, the Leafs were millimetres away from leading 4-0 in the first

Anyone have heat maps? I dont feel the Jets were crazy dangerous.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Meh. Shot count makes this look closer then it should. Really, the Leafs were millimetres away from leading 4-0 in the first

Anyone have heat maps? I dont feel the Jets were crazy dangerous.

The first 2 Leafs goals were rather fortunate. Circumstances of the game dictate play as well. This forced Winnipeg to open up a little more and the Leafs have some quality chances. They looked lethargic for portions of the game IMO, but reality is they won and are full marks for doing so.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The first 2 Leafs goals were rather fortunate. Circumstances of the game dictate play as well. This forced Winnipeg to open up a little more and the Leafs have some quality chances. They looked lethargic for portions of the game IMO, but reality is they won and are full marks for doing so.

They shut Winnipeg down in the 3rd though. They countered the goal scoring and then locked the doors.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Willy shooting 21% the past few weeks is a tad lucky.

Overall I think its balanced by Freddy being a bit poor lately. Not sure what our PDO is though

That makes up for his very low shooting percentage early in the season.

Our PDO has definitely been slightly higher. Shooting percentages being way up accounts for a lot of that for sure. Andersen has 3 sub .870% save percentage games in his last 5 games, 2 of those are wins.

Reactions: stopclickbait

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Crazy thing is that the Leafs were tied for 3rd most goals scored last night. There were also 2 teams who scored 5. Back to 80s hockey or what?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The Leafs capitalized on mistakes and bad goaltending, it wasn't one of their better efforts. But a win is a win. This is the problem, people see 6-3 and think they were some sort of juggernaut, but they didnt play well.

Part of what problem? Contrary to the notion on HF boards, random fans on a discussion forum being homers or haters doesn't really have any affect on team performance. If Toronto sucks comes playoffs or wins the cup it will have nothing to do with HF.

To be honest, I find it far more pretentious when people feel the need to police a discussion forum with their self proclaimed realist label (not saying you did that.) Fan = fanatic. The expectation that fans should be humdrum after a win would be far more damaging to the game than fans being fans. It's entertainment after all.

Tampa Bay just got shelled by Montreal and Vas made 38 saves. I doubt people will be talking about that when they likely come back to win the division. The 2 points is what matters.

BTW, if you're going to point to a fan base overvaluing their teams performance you should probably set your sights on Manitoba. Suddenly their team is a world beater because they had 50 shots. But hey, it's fans being fans. Good for them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Especially considering Winnipeg is one of the first examples many would say we cant handle due to being too small and soft.

If anything it looks like Winnipeg cant handle our speed and talent edge.

They have trouble beating us.

We're moving away from soft and small and supersizing our roster recently to make us harder to play against.

Winnipeg was still in the Christmas spirit and gifted us some goals, which was very nice of them as its better to give than receive.

Leafs went 14 minutes in the 2nd period without a shot on goal and then scored 3 goals on the next 8 shots. Our skill level is what other teams struggle with, and helped by Hellebuyck giving up 5 goals in 17 shots and chased from the net is not a normal occurrence. ;)

Allowing the opposition to pepper us with shorts as we gave up nearly 40 shots after 2 periods really wasn't about Jets not handling our speed but Freddy shutting the door as Laine had 13 shots alone on net by himself with only 1 goal. Matthews + Marner + JT + Nylander combined for 12 shots.

I personally don't believe allowing nearly 50 shots on net in a game is a long-term strategy for success, but when our offense is running hot can be overcome with some good fortune tossed in.

So there are areas of improvement possible to make wins more sustainable then to count on anomalies to fall our way on a nightly basis.
I'm not complaining I'm loving the hot and winning streak we're on. :hockey:

Lets keep it going !!!.

Last edited:
Reactions: coupe93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad