Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ NYI - Wednesday Nov 13 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am actually feeling sad for Babcock at the moment. He has been set up to fail and there is nothing he can do about it. He never got the players he wanted from the start Hanifin / Marner and all the other "speculation". It even seems now that he is using the players according to what he wants them to be and not what they are to spite management. He isn't an idiot and clearly knows that Barrie is an offensive defenseman, but seems to be using him, as a defensive one to rub it in Dubas's face. This is my most recent take on the situatiuon. I am sure that when he is fired many interesting things will come out.

Either that or he only knows one way to coach. Either way, it's clear that he's not the right coach for this team, not any more.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I am actually feeling sad for Babcock at the moment. He has been set up to fail and there is nothing he can do about it. He never got the players he wanted from the start Hanifin / Marner and all the other "speculation". It even seems now that he is using the players according to what he wants them to be and not what they are to spite management. He isn't an idiot and clearly knows that Barrie is an offensive defenseman, but seems to be using him, as a defensive one to rub it in Dubas's face. This is my most recent take on the situatiuon. I am sure that when he is fired many interesting things will come out.
feelin sad for babcock?
you are a good person if you do
hanifin vs marner?
i still rather have marner
playin barrie as a defensive dman BECAUSE f*** DUBAS?
really? seems to me that for babcock its more important that the team plays HIS style - the only style he knows- than actually winning a f***ing round in the playoffs or at the very minimum play above .500

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Are you fricken kidding me? Look at this lineup!?!? And if he's using players to rub it in Dubas's face that professionalism he keeps talking about, and wanting to win every night, and being a good pro.... hollow words.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Either that or he only knows one way to coach. Either way, it's clear that he's not the right coach for this team, not any more.

In the last week, I've converted to the "he has to go" camp.

Being a coach is a very difficult job.

Babcock and the Leafs havent worked out.

He's lost the room.

Babcock’s eight-year contract — which reportedly includes an out clause after five

The coach from Saskatoon will reportedly receive a large signing bonus and make between US$5 million and $6 million per season

To reset: Babcock to TOR. Eight-year deal, but there may be an "out" after five. Full value is approx $50M, but front loaded….
— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 20, 2015

Mike Babcock to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

15-16
16-17
17-18
18-19
19-20

It looks like this is his fifth year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’ve been against Babcock for a while but I’m with you. If the Leafs don’t miraculously turn it around, for entertainment purposes, I’m hoping for a real whopper of a fight between he and Dubas.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
It's a very strange situation and I am struggling to make sense of it. Logically things should not be happening how they are, but I have no explanation. I really want Mikheyev to be tested on the Tavares or Matthews line for a couple of games. It seems that we are not using the full of his potential. Go Leafs Go! :)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Hmm, this is true. I guess Babcock would rather fail while he does what he wants, rather than try to succeed by following someone's plan. If viewed like this it shows just stubbornness and ego and does not paint him in the best light. :(
If this is indeed the case then he reeks of being a 'bad pro'. He's being paid an awful lot of money to be a 'gud pro'.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It’s imperative they win most of the games that are not on a back-to-back, which they have been for the most part, but they also will need to pick up some wins in back-to-back situations or it will cost them. Sorry, just winning the games where they are “rested” is not going to be enough, clearly.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's a very strange situation and I am struggling to make sense of it. Logically things should not be happening how they are, but I have no explanation. I really want Mikheyev to be tested on the Tavares or Matthews line for a couple of games. It seems that we are not using the full of his potential. Go Leafs Go! :)

I think it’s quite logical the way things are happening. Considering they are in yr 4 of a rebuild with a GM change smack in the middle I really wouldn’t expect things to be much different.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Barrie's zone starts are 53.5 to 46.5 and no PK time. How is he being used as a defensive D? Do people really think Babs let's Rielly (who's OZone starts are about 43% and he PKs) jump up in the rush but tells Barrie he can't?

Barrie is our only pure offensive D, I think he has more of a leash to freewheel than people assume. I just think he's not that fast so when he pinched early in the season and got caught, which he did a few times, while being on a new team has made him cautious about being that guy. Atleast I think that's part of it.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Barrie's zone starts are 53.5 to 46.5 and no PK time. How is he being used as a defensive D? Do people really think Babs let's Rielly (who's OZone starts are about 43% and he PKs) jump up in the rush but tells Barrie he can't?

Barrie is our only pure offensive D, I think he has more of a leash to freewheel than people assume. I just think he's not that fast so when he pinched early in the season and got caught, which he did a few times, while being on a new team has made him cautious about being that guy. Atleast I think that's part of it.
I also meant that he doesn't use him on the PP, which is supposed to be his greatest asset. I don't know what is wrong with Barrie, but something is not mashing up. I don't know if his mind has ****ed up, Babcock is regulating what and when he does or there is something totally different, but thigs are not right. I do not see how this can be fixed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
images

Babs usually doesn't like to talk about injured players as a general rule, but he loves gushing about Hyman a heart and soul player all the time.

Zach should bring a new level of energy to the Leafs and his play is infectious and draws more of his teammates into the fight.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I also meant that he doesn't use him on the PP, which is supposed to be his greatest asset. I don't know what is wrong with Barrie, but something is not mashing up. I don't know if his mind has ****ed up, Babcock is regulating what and when he does or there is something totally different, but thigs are not right. I do not see how this can be fixed.

Maybe this is worth a try:

Our genius coach has a talk with Barrie and says something like this:

OK so far you're not having a great time obviously but don't feel too bad, as team we're not that great right now either so here's what we're going try. Starting right now, you are the QB on our #1PP and you will also be getting more offensive zone starts. I've spoken with Rielly and he's fine with this, he just wants to win. Go out there and do your thing, we need to turn this ship around starting tonight and we can't do it without you playing the way we all know you can. So forget what's happened up until now, just go out there tonight, do your thing and most importantly, have fun!

I wonder if Babcock has it in him. Ah, who am I kidding, this isn't Nick Nurse, it's Mike Babcock we're talking about here.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

He's lost the room.

15-16
16-17
17-18
18-19
19-20

Would definitely make sense if the Shanaplan is too “allow” Babcock to opt out. Which is why nothing was done and nothing will be done this year.
Dubas is probably aware that he brings in his guy then his clock starts.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe this is worth a try:

Our genius coach has a talk with Barrie and says something like this:

OK so far you're not having a great time obviously but don't feel too bad, as team we're not that great right now either so here's what we're going try. Starting right now, you are the QB on our #1PP and you will also be getting more offensive zone starts. I've spoken with Rielly and he's fine with this, he just wants to win. Go out there and do your thing, we need to turn this ship around starting tonight and we can't do it without you playing the way we all know you can. So forget what's happened up until now, just go out there tonight, do your thing and most importantly, have fun!

I wonder if Babcock has it in him. Ah, who am I kidding, this isn't Nick Nurse, it's Mike Babcock we're talking about here.
Not a chance even in minus 30 on a cold Saskatoon night ...

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He only knows how to coach to 700 wins something that only 6 other NHL coaches in history of the league has achieved. ;)

His accomplishments in the NHL are worthy of respect. Unfortunately, they're also so far in the past that on a resume, they're practically worthless. And that's without even getting into whether or not he should have actually done much better with the boatloads of talent he was blessed with on the teams he coached.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He's lost the room.

15-16
16-17
17-18
18-19
19-20

Rumour is he got something around $10M+ on day 1 to sign. and then like 6M per for first 5 years. So if my math is right the last 3 years are like something less than 10M.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

He isn't, at all.

But at this point there's pretty much nothing the keyboard coaches here won't BS in order to blame all the roster problems on Babcock.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
He only knows how to coach to 700 wins something that only 6 other NHL coaches in history of the league has achieved. ;)
You should never rest on your old laurels! Hasek, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Datsyuk practically won those games. He was in the right place at the right time. Just as Matthews, Tavares and the rest are winning games for him now. But the fact that he has only one dusty ring and two old medals, that practically any Canadian coach would have won does not make him shine now. It even raises the question how the **** have you not won more with the players you have had?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His accomplishments in the NHL are worthy of respect. Unfortunately, they're also so far in the past that on a resume, they're practically worthless. And that's without even getting into whether or not he should have actually done much better with the boatloads of talent he was blessed with on the teams he coached.
Do you really believe what you said. I think you or I could have coached Team International in Detroit. and I think you or I could have coached Team Canada too. Anytime you have the worlds best player in Lidstrom at the time playing 30 minutes a night and controlling the game you are going to win. You can't underestimate the value of a DMAN who can do it all. Play defense. Skate puck up ice at will. Pass puck up ice at will. Contribute offensively when team needs a goal. Take a hit. Make a hit. Block a shot. Slap a goal. Fake shot pass for goal. Play transition game. Lead team in every situation all the time especially at critical points. Common man those kinda guys are Orr. and maybe Harvey. You are talking about the best of the best. Babs is a tough smart kid from Sask who went to McGill and worked his *ss off. I give him credit for that.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

In the honor of past, "Move Kaberle to LW" threads of the past, with Marner out, may I suggest...
...put Barrie on the Tavares line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad