Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ NYI - Wednesday Nov 13 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008

Good find. I’m not a Babcock fan but the article kinda alludes to the fact that his job really depends on them making the playoffs but he only has one NHL caliber goalie he can use.

I feel the team has been much less than the sum of its parts in the last year beyond the goaltending, so it’s not like Babcock has been doing himself any favours anyway.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Tomorrow’s game could be the one game that fans will point to as:

(1)- The start of a phenomenal display of grit, tenacity, physicality and success. It seems the players realized without Marner that the season was in jeopardy, and that they were tired of the criticism (especially the being “soft”). They found a new gear and, paradoxically, all because they lost a superstar. They played “pissed”.

(2)-Because of a very tough schedule, because their backup goalie continued to underperform and because of the loss of Marner-they continued their ineffectual play and found themselves well out of even a wild card spot by Christmas.

I would think a team that has John Tavaresxas it’s leader by example-that it will be #1

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Martin is out with a lbi not expected back till Dec.
They got Ross Johnston instead, who I hear is even more of a badass.

Not sure why Timashov is sitting for this game over Petan and Shore.

Also have no idea why shore is a full-time player now and why we're rolling with 2 C's in the 4th line

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018

(1)- The start of a phenomenal display of grit, tenacity, physicality and success. It seems the players realized without Marner that the season was in jeopardy, and that they were tired of the criticism (especially the being “soft”). They found a new gear and, paradoxically, all because they lost a superstar. They played “pissed”.

(2)-Because of a very tough schedule, because their backup goalie continued to underperform and because of the loss of Marner-they continued their ineffectual play and found themselves well out of even a wild card spot by Christmas.

I would think a team that has John Tavaresxas it’s leader by example-that it will be #1

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
I too hope it will be #1, and if they win the game a lot of woes would be fixed.
If it is #2, it is time for a reconstruction.
If is a game to show the true character of this team ....

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - JT - Kapanen
Moore - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Petan - Gauthier - Spezza

Matthews line won’t break.
JT and Hyman should be a lock. If Kerfoot was RH I’d have him up there.
That third line is great, should battle and cause chaos.
I’m thinking Tima might need a short break though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

We’ve been waiting for #1 to happen since Tavares got to Toronto. Unfortunately, oddly enough, it has happened in Long Island.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Feels like a pivotal point in the season. A lot of road games coming up and against a number of good teams as well for a change. That's scary as we've yet to win a single game in regulation against a good team this season and if that trend continues, we're screwed. We're 11th overall in the East (by PTS% before anyone hollers) but not too far out of 4th place for those who want to look at the bright side of things. Hyman back tonight I guess but Marner out for a stretch so that's a big change and also Hutch gone so a different look for sure for the next month or so. So where will we be a month from now (or where will we be on American Thanksgiving for those who like to use that as a measuring stick)? We're already 19 games in so if we want to even make the playoffs, never mind make some noise when we get there we need to get going like right f***ing now (yeah yeah, St Louis blah blah blah, don't count on that happening again like ever). Our 1st stop on the Island last season we got completely pulverized, the team that lost Tavares to us has surprisingly left us in their dust ever since so what happens tonight?

I'll say it again, this really feels like a pivotal point for me. This is the first game of the rest of the season and perhaps tonight will set the tone for the 62 games that come after. And it's my birthday too so ... no excuses, time to stand up and be counted. And please win!

That is all.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I am actually feeling sad for Babcock at the moment. He has been set up to fail and there is nothing he can do about it. He never got the players he wanted from the start Hanifin / Marner and all the other "speculation". It even seems now that he is using the players according to what he wants them to be and not what they are to spite management. He isn't an idiot and clearly knows that Barrie is an offensive defenseman, but seems to be using him, as a defensive one to rub it in Dubas's face. This is my most recent take on the situatiuon. I am sure that when he is fired many interesting things will come out.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Feels like a pivotal point in the season. A lot of road games coming up and against a number of good teams as well for a change. That's scary as we've yet to win a single game in regulation against a good team this season and if that trend continues, we're screwed. We're 11th overall in the East (by PTS% before anyone hollers) but not too far out of 4th place for those who want to look at the bright side of things. Hyman back tonight I guess but Marner out for a stretch so that's a big change and also Hutch gone so a different look for sure for the next month or so. So where will we be a month from now (or where will we be on American Thanksgiving for those who like to use that as a measuring stick)? We're already 19 games in so if we want to even make the playoffs, never mind make some noise when we get there we need to get going like right ****ing now (yeah yeah, St Louis blah blah blah, don't count on that happening again like ever). Our 1st stop on the Island last season we got completely pulverized, the team that lost Tavares to us has surprisingly left us in their dust ever since so what happens tonight?

I'll say it again, this really feels like a pivotal point for me. This is the first game of the rest of the season and perhaps tonight will set the tone for the 62 games that come after. And it's my birthday too so ... no excuses, time to stand up and be counted. And please win!

That is all.
Happy Birthday! I wish that you win everything you set your mind on! Cheers and all the best!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

By Christmas? How about by the end of the weekend? They are now in 8th place in the conference (even worse than I predicted yesterday) and most teams right behind them have multiple games in hand (Tamps has 4 games in hand!).

Unless things change dramatically (and immediately) we will be out of a playoff spot in a few days and likely in 11th or 12th in the conference by the end of November. Again, I don't think people understand the trouble the team is in right now.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I am actually feeling sad for Babcock at the moment. He has been set up to fail and there is nothing he can do about it. He never got the players he wanted from the start Hanifin / Marner and all the other "speculation". It even seems now that he is using the players according to what he wants them to be and not what they are to spite management. He isn't an idiot and clearly knows that Barrie is an offensive defenseman, but seems to be using him, as a defensive one to rub it in Dubas's face. This is my most recent take on the situatiuon. I am sure that when he is fired many interesting things will come out.

Everything you say after the first sentence counters the first sentence. I would say based on your post Babcock has set himself up to fail.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Everything you say after the first sentence counters the first sentence. I would say based on your post Babcock has set himself up to fail.
Hmm, this is true. I guess Babcock would rather fail while he does what he wants, rather than try to succeed by following someone's plan. If viewed like this it shows just stubbornness and ego and does not paint him in the best light. :(

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
They got Ross Johnston instead, who I hear is even more of a badass.

Not sure why Timashov is sitting for this game over Petan and Shore.

Also have no idea why shore is a full-time player now and why we're rolling with 2 C's in the 4th line
Shore is by far the worst of the bunch. He literally does nothing which is why Babs loves him.

I would waive Shore and rotate the bottom 4 guys in (Spezza,Goat,Petan,Timashov). They all play 3 out of eveeu 4 games. Maybe you find a better mix until Moore gets bumped down.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday! I wish that you win everything you set your mind on! Cheers and all the best!

Thanks guys! :) Hoping for an awesome present tonight in the form of our first regulation win against a good team this season. Please play hard (something we didn't do last season against these guys in our first visit to Long Island), make our captain proud and hopefully put last seasons embarrassment behind us. That 6-1 loss last season was definitely one of the low points of the season.

By Christmas? How about by the end of the weekend? They are now in 8th place in the conference (even worse than I predicted yesterday) and most teams right behind them have multiple games in hand (Tamps has 4 games in hand!).

Unless things change dramatically (and immediately) we will be out of a playoff spot in a few days and likely in 11th or 12th in the conference by the end of November. Again, I don't think people understand the trouble the team is in right now.

Please use this link, nhl.com, filter so that only teams in the East are showing and sort by the column P% (points percentage). I really wish people would stop looking at the official standings as they completely ignore the number of games played which is obviously an important piece of data.

We are 11th in the East today, period.

NHL.com - Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->