Friedman: Leafs not willing to move Kapanen or Sandin

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Better lower the trade targets then and go after guy like Muzzin.
Without Kapanen or Sandin on the table, Kings pass.So lower the targets even more.No ones going to give away a quality top 4 defensemen to help Leafs or their cap.

Last edited:

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
You are acting like those are the Leafs only 2 assets, which is ridiculous.
Well Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Reilly, Anderson are probably untouchable. Nylander was told he's not going anywhere, Marleau has a NTC, Sandin and Kapanen are now off the board. Aside from that, what do have of value to a rebuilding team? Your 1st and a few marginal prospects? I don't think that's going to land a top 4 D on a reasonable contract.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
As for Lily I get it he is projected to be.

So was Ty Rattie, Jordan Schmaltz Jake Walman those are just a few recent failures for blues.

Not saying he cant get there, but it is never a sure thing. Nobody and i mean nobody thought a third round pick (most people didnt even know) named colton parayko could be be a top pairing Dman. So you just never know.
ofc prospects are never a sure thing, but i dont think they lose value so early in there development stage, especially when they are actually doing well and not stagnating or doing bad.

lily was picked in the middle of the 1st round his value should have gone up from there not down, given his great play in the ahl.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That trade saw Tampa deal away a 25-year old 20-goal scorer, the player they took with their 2016 first round pick, the player they took with their 2016 second round pick plus their 2018 1st rounder and their 2019 2nd rounder. If you think that is scraps, you need to give your head a shake. That's a massive package of futures and that's why they also landed JT Miller in the trade.

25 year old 20-goal scorer: Connor Brown
2017 1st: Liljegren
2nd round prospect: Bracco
2019 1st
2020 2nd

One top pairing RHD with term + top 6 winger please.

Tbh probably an overpayment, Liljegren > Howden and Bracco's PPG in the AHL earlier than Kapanen was with less support.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Are you offended. This is a trade forum. I was curious to see who he was aiming for. I am not hurt I was asking what he was shooting for with what he wanted to offer. I didnt realize that I had to have a horse in the race to be able to discuss value of a player or trade. Should I only stick to blues proposals?
Heck no...feel free. i just thought you would be happy with Leafs fans not bringing up Blues players.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Well Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Reilly, Anderson are probably untouchable. Nylander was told he's not going anywhere, Marleau has a NTC, Sandin and Kapanen are now off the board. Aside from that, what do have of value to a rebuilding team? Your 1st and a few marginal prospects? I don't think that's going to land a top 4 D on a reasonable contract.

Kadri, Liljegren, Moore, Sparks, their 1st, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Timashov.

The later few are not much on their own, but as someone posted before, this will never be a 1 for one. This would be a "Leafs get what they need now, for what will help a rebuilding team in the future". You are acting like the Leafs have 2 pieces they can trade and are refusing to, which is ridiculous and you know it.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
ofc prospects are never a sure thing, but i dont think they lose value so early in there development stage, especially when they are actually doing well and not stagnating or doing bad.

lily was picked in the middle of the 1st round his value should have gone up from there not down, given his great play in the ahl.
Schmaltz killed it in the AHL.
spent 3 years in college then had the following ahl seasons
15-16 6 goals 30 assists in 71 games
16-17 3goals 22 assists 25 points in 42 gamesz

Then just never made the jump to nhl been up and down.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
That trade saw Tampa deal away a 25-year old 20-goal scorer, the player they took with their 2016 first round pick, the player they took with their 2016 second round pick plus their 2018 1st rounder and their 2019 2nd rounder. If you think that is scraps, you need to give your head a shake. That's a massive package of futures and that's why they also landed JT Miller in the trade.

And how has that 25 year old perennial 20 goal scorer done on the Rangers? JT Miller alone is more valuable than him. Now take the rest of that trade...which assets is there is better than Sandin who looks like a great pick and Kapanen who has broken out this season.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

If Liljegren is still in the AHL in 2 years (when Schmaltz had his rookie year), he must have regressed significantly. Surely you see how that's not even close to the same situation? AHL at 18/19 is a different situation entirely than AHL after college.

Reactions: Mitchy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
McDonagh contract had 2 years left when he was traded. His new contract (like Kucherov and Gourde) kicks in next year.

Closer to 1.25. That's 2 playoff runs while he was on his 2nd contract before he walked or was signed to a big 3rd contract (what happened.)

2 years seems to be the magic number. It's hard to find 1 for 1s with that level of term (Panarin, Hjalmarsson.)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Closer to 1.25. That's 2 playoff runs while he was on his 2nd contract before he walked or was signed to a big 3rd contract (what happened.)
That is still term? You said Mcdonagh didnt come with term.

He did, he was not a rental. He obviously wasnt signed long term but still had decent term left at a very fair price.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
God I can’t imagine the headaches Dubas is going to have this offseason if they add more than a rental top4 D assuming they make any adds.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

last time i checked thats a compete different player, you cant project one prospects failure to a completely different player. again prospects dont just lose value for no reason. lily has great value no matter which way you slice it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I believe Liljegren played every playoff game for the Marlies last season. He might be bound for the Marlies next season....so what that is the about normal time span for a 2017 draftee.
Funny how so many think so highly Myers of Flyers farm team. He's never played a game in the NHL and is a full two years older than Liljegren.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
So if they truly have their sights on Pesce, all this means is that they’re not getting him. There’s no trade to be had without Kapanen or Kadri as one the the main parts for Pesce.
not pesce….Hamilton they want, pesce is only worth maybe a 2nd and a prospect..

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
If Liljegren is still in the AHL in 2 years (when Schmaltz had his rookie year), he must have regressed significantly. Surely you see how that's not even close to the same situation? AHL at 18/19 is a different situation entirely than AHL after college.
I didn't say they were. I'm just saying that schmaltz and walman looked so great and then they just missed the jump. It's hard to tell. He'll some we didn't even think made it to nhl.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Kapanen I agree with. I think they should have all futures on the table though. But Kapanen is already an integral roster player and actually better and more accountable than some more high profile names there.

But Sandin, Liljegren, Bracco, thec1st rounder etc should all be on the table.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
I would be willing to bet a lot of people would pay much more for Pesce. He’s a 2nd pairing guy who is 24 locked up for 6 years and has always been pretty good defensively.
well maybe so but I hope leafs don't get him because I don't like him in a leaf uniform looking for bigger fish......…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad