Friedman: Leafs not willing to move Kapanen or Sandin

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
No you weren’t...I made no mention of Lilly in that post it was all Sandin...at least own up to missing him on the list lol. This thread has nothing to do with Johnsson and Lilly

No, I was talking about Liljegren and Johnsson.

I said it was "propping up" a player to say he could eclipse 50 points when he's only on pace for 41 points... Johnsson is on pace for 41 points and I said calling a guy a top prospect when he's not even on the list of top 50 affiliated prospects was "propping him up" and Liljegren is not on that list.

This whole thread is about how they won't trade Sandin and Kapanen, so I wasn't discussing them.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
So he is as good or better than Nylander and still your GM was willing to pay Nylander 6.9 m/yr.
Matthews=Tavares>Marner>Kapanen>Nylander=Johnsson
Kadri for sure is also as good or better than Nylander.

Something does not compute :huh:

He’s not because smart people don’t value forwards based on points. Nylander is in a much different tier than Johnsson. Nylander is one of the best transition players in the NHL, johnsson isn’t

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
He’s not because smart people don’t value forwards based on points. Nylander is in a much different tier than Johnsson. Nylander is one of the best transition players in the NHL, johnsson isn’t

Excuse me? Since when did people stop valuing forwards based on point production?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Is Sandin that much better then Lilgren?
Sandin has developed quicker, but in fairness...Liljegren's coaches have asked him to work on (change) his game to get better at defending...he's dome that. Lil's offence is a bit down, but he's much better at defense than he was.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
And smart people like you also don't highly value forwards with a two game, which you hype Johnsson for. I am interested in how you knot that goal post now.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

No. Pre ankle sprain Liljegren was pencilled in for a shot at the big club in the second half like we have done with Kappy, Dermott, Johnsson over the last two seasons.

Sandin is having a better U19 season than Liljegren though.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The issue for the Leafs in regards to a trade with Carolina is that Kapanen has upside to be a more valuable player than either Pesce or Hamilton so it would be foolish to trade him. He would be the second best forward on CAR instantly only second to Aho. So unless Carolina would accept an offer with Aho in the mix, I do not see a trade happening. However if he would be in a package, there could be a good outcome for both teams and even Kapanen and Nylander could be available, not to even speak about Kadri, Sandin, Johnson etc.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I am by no means an expert on these guys, but I've watched them play about seven or eight games live and Sandin was significantly better than Liljegren in the games that I saw. Sandin was impressive, particularly for his age, whereas Lil was largely invisible with the exception of a handful of the games.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm noticing a few red herring in this thread. There has been reference to past deals including the Hamilton deal, well that deal was completed 4 seasons ago, league economics and Hamilton as a player have changed significantly since that point so it's not a fair comparable, Boychuk was an upcoming UFA and that was 5 years ago. Shattenkirk was an upcoming UFA's and came out and said he was going to be testing the market. So McD and Hamonic make sense but the others don't as comparable. With that said the list of potential targets (Muzzin, Greene, Green, Spurgeon, Vatanen, Faulk, Tanev, Gudas, Pysyk, Daley) doesn't really carry the same value as McD or Hamonic (Spurgeon being the exception). These targets are also a far cry from the Pesce/Parayko type players that have been thrown around on this site for the past 6 months.

If the aim is Trevor Daley, then the list of assets available is fine. I'm sure the Wings would gladly trade Daley for Johnsson or Lil. I just don't see Daley as much of an upgrade to Zaitsev. There will be a lot of options for the Leafs if they make Johnsson/Lil/1st/etc available, I just don't think they will be able to land that "big fish" so to speak. With exception to Spurgeon anyone on the list above should be available for the pieces the Leafs are willing to part with.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The issue for the Leafs in regards to a trade with Carolina is that Kapanen has upside to be a more valuable player than either Pesce or Hamilton so it would be foolish to trade him. He would be the second best forward on CAR instantly only second to Aho. So unless Carolina would accept an offer with Aho in the mix, I do not see a trade happening. However if he would be in a package, there could be a good outcome for both teams and even Kapanen and Nylander could be available, not to even speak about Kadri, Sandin, Johnson etc.

Ummm...Teravainen? Svechnikov (in overall potential)? Niederreiter (more proven)?

Aren’t you the same guy that’s always advocating for CAR to trade Aho?

Figures...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Well then they aren't going to get what they want on the trade market unless another teams GM bends over for them.

Just a reminder that you were wrong. We got a good (not great) dman for a pretty good price and didnt trade anything away if too much value.

Without Kapanen or Sandin on the table, Kings pass.So lower the targets even more.No ones going to give away a quality top 4 defensemen to help Leafs or their cap.

Interesting

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You traded quite a bit actually...for another left handed dman. In my opinion, he’ll dip hard without Doughty.

Grundstrom is not a top 6 guy, the 1st will be a late pick and the other guy is a nobody.

Thank God your opinion doesnt mean it will happen. Muzzin just adds more depth. You dont beed a bunch of top pair guys to win when you have a great goalie and outstanding offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad