Leafs need more truculence!!!

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I have actually. If the other team does something illegal they will get a penalty for it which helps the team. If our guys start slashing and whacking players who aren't committing an infraction, we're going to get penalties. Seems stupid to me.

So what you are saying is that you have never played a violent, team sport, at any level above houseleague. Got it.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You may as well forget about it.

Dubas (former stickboy) doesn't "believe" in toughness and therefore thinks its OK for our goalie to take shots.

Reactions: ToneDog

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah I have actually. If the other team does something illegal they will get a penalty for it which helps the team. If our guys start slashing and whacking players who aren't committing an infraction, we're going to get penalties. Seems stupid to me.

Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about.

In case you didn't realize last night, both guys that targeted Kadri didn't get a penalty.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
In Denmark we were always told to make it hurt when players got in our golies face - cross check, punch em, slash em... just do something... because thats what the big boys in Canada always did. I see that more in our local games now (average players built like marner ffs) than in leafs games.
I understand your concern but the Danish league is much more known for a tough brand of hockey than this side of the pond , so i guess you just have to get used used to the p***y team we have .

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So what you are saying is that you have never played a violent, team sport, at any level above houseleague. Got it.
Not sure how you got that from what I said, maybe cooler heads prevail?

You're pretty tough by assuming you know what level a hockey a person played by their opinion on a message board. I imagine I could skate circles around you.

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
Mathews has 9 hits in 45 games...lol. one every 5 games....that's more like a pond hockey stat not NHL stat....even kessel has 10 hits

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
top and bottom 3 hitting teams.
  • 1. Pens ~ 1763
  • 2. Vegas ~ 1685
  • 3. Habs~ 1625
  • ~
  • 29. Leafs~ 992
  • 30. Hawks~ 982
  • 31. Flames~ 874
interesting that the Leafs and Flames are bottom 3

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Reason why a Austin Matthews gets hurt all the time is because he's playing a mans game in a boys body. Have you ever seen this guy with no equipment. He's tall and has the ability to be fill out his frame but right now he will never be a player that takes over a game because he's still a little boy.

No reason why Austin Matthews cannot become the best player in the league, he just needs to take his conditioning up a little. And use his size to his advantage. He rarely does this. If he attempts to play a McDavid game, he will be one of many in this league that will always fall beneath that type of stardom. If he takes his game and commitment up a level, uses his body more and uses off seasons to get stronger. That is when we will have one of the best players in the league. Right now he is clumped in behind McDavid.

Seriously?
AUSTON Matthews is 6'3" and 223lbs.

Reactions: Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
top and bottom 3 hitting teams.
  • 1. Pens ~ 1763
  • 2. Vegas ~ 1685
  • 3. Habs~ 1625
  • ~
  • 29. Leafs~ 992
  • 30. Hawks~ 982
  • 31. Flames~ 874
interesting that the Leafs and Flames are bottom 3
Hits don’t have to be the end all.
Where are the stats that show how a team plays from the circles on down (forecheck and cycle) and how they defend the cycle from other teams.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's no secret that we're as soft as butter. The whole league knows that we have serious trouble with the cycle game in our own zone, and that teams can take liberties with any of our players without having to worry about retribution.

I don't think we are ready for a playoff run yet, and there isn't enough time to make the necessary adjustments before the trade deadline.

This issue really needs to be addressed in the off season or we will be singing the same tune every spring.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
The rage in my heart burns every time an opposing player takes liberties with our players. There have been at least 20-25 occasions this season where a flying tackle turning into a dogpile would've been an immediately appropriate response. It doesn't matter if you're Marner or GOAT, all you do is start skating towards the offender, drop your stick on the way, hook your arms around their body and throw them the f*** down. Then when you're both on the ground you just don't let go and flail for dear life till reinforcements and refs come. Strength/size matters, but the size of your balls matters much more. Knowing that your teammates will back you up is equally important.

God, who would've thought that the Kessel-era squads could out tough anybody, yet here we are watching the softest iteration of a hockey team that I've ever seen.

Reactions: FreeBird

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
You are spot on. Every other team in the NHL sticks up for their goalie and each other.
Conn Smythe would roll in his grave if he watched this group.

Everytime I see comments like this I think back to the multiple times over the last few years Polak has dumped an opposing forward on top of Andy for taking an extra poke at the puck haha. I agree you need to look after your goalie, just need to be brighter than Polak about it

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The rage in my heart burns every time an opposing player takes liberties with our players. There have been at least 20-25 occasions this season where a flying tackle turning into a dogpile would've been an immediately appropriate response. It doesn't matter if you're Marner or GOAT, all you do is start skating towards the offender, drop your stick on the way, hook your arms around their body and throw them the **** down. Then when you're both on the ground you just don't let go and flail for dear life till reinforcements and refs come. Strength/size matters, but the size of your balls matters much more. Knowing that your teammates will back you up is equally important.

God, who would've thought that the Kessel-era squads could out tough anybody, yet here we are watching the softest iteration of a hockey team that I've ever seen.

So true. I still remember an incident with Stamkos, I think it was last season. He started a fight with someone who ran his teammate and the other guy literally have the WTF are you doing face but Stamkos still tried to fight him. You just don't see that with the Leafs.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Anyone else catch Kypreos turn his argument about how Kadri is the only gritty guy on the team into trading Kadri for a D? Makes you wonder how this guy gets to be the lead guy on so many Sportnet segments.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The rage in my heart burns every time an opposing player takes liberties with our players. There have been at least 20-25 occasions this season where a flying tackle turning into a dogpile would've been an immediately appropriate response. It doesn't matter if you're Marner or GOAT, all you do is start skating towards the offender, drop your stick on the way, hook your arms around their body and throw them the **** down. Then when you're both on the ground you just don't let go and flail for dear life till reinforcements and refs come. Strength/size matters, but the size of your balls matters much more. Knowing that your teammates will back you up is equally important.

The Kessel era frequently saw a roster that had Fraser, Orr and McLaren all out on the ice together....

I think you’d be hard pressed to argue those guys made the team any better

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Kessel era frequently saw a roster that had Fraser, Orr and McLaren all out on the ice together....

Your boy Dubas has already brought in one gritty player, I would slow down if I were you because he may just bring in another shortly.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.

I would never argue that. Those were replacement level players with ECHL level puck skills. But their attitude was team first, and their willingness to dig deep was there. Skill and toughness are not mutually exclusive.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
So true. I still remember an incident with Stamkos, I think it was last season. He started a fight with someone who ran his teammate and the other guy literally have the WTF are you doing face but Stamkos still tried to fight him. You just don't see that with the Leafs.

I totally remember what you're talking about. Stamkos showed heart and a willingness to battle. Something our wizz kids have always had intense trouble with.

zacholistic

Nov 5, 2016
Disclaimer: Im danish and a big Andersen supporter, so bias probably inc

I've noticed that teams are starting to get in Andersen's face more and more - standing in his face, touching him, slashing his hands etc - with little to no answers from the leafs team.

Imo this teams needs to show their golie (mvp so far) some respect and stick up for him. In Anaheim he got disrespected by the management because they did anything for their little goldenboy Gibson, but at least the team defended him much better (including starplayers like getz and perry). I used to think the ducks were soft, but this is really getting concerning to me. You can say a lot about Polak but at least he got the concept of "protecting your golie". Look what happens in Boston when players get in their golies face.

In Denmark we were always told to make it hurt when players got in our golies face - cross check, punch em, slash em... just do something... because thats what the big boys in Canada always did. I see that more in our local games now (average players built like marner ffs) than in leafs games.

This is just going to get worse come playoffs - and it will not do anything good for Andersens game. It needs to be addressed fast

Nope, you didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad