Leafs need more truculence!!!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem is Grundstrom isn't your average winger and he's the kind of player that this entire thread is talking about. A guy who can play with toughness and grit, can hit and fight and chip in with some offense. Are you saying that there isn't a very good chance if you gave Grundstrom the 14 mins that Brown is getting on most nights that he wouldn't contribute more to the Leafs than Brown currently is?

And also I'd argue that having a player who can play tough and hard is even more of a priority than having a good Dman. If you look in the Leafs system, they have Liljegren, Sandin, Rosen who could be ready next year and Hollowell and now Duszak who can perhaps be ready abit further out. Namely we have good players in our system that can help our defense. Who do we have in the system that is the kind of player Grundstrom is that's ready to contribute now or next season? No one.

The bottom line is Grundstrom if we had given him a chance could've been our version of Wilson or Ferland without having to go out and get one through trade or free agency.

There’s definitely a loss when it came to Grundstrom, but Muzzin also adds physicality and as a top four D is 1) able to get more icetime than a depth winger (thus actually adding more physicality to the team than a 4th line winger) and 2) fills an immediate need with the team heading into the playoffs.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Justin Brazeau, 6'6 225. Played a shutdown role at the WJC for Canada.
Just got his 60th goal in the OHL.
Overager, and can be signed at any moment.

He is a beast and very hard to get the puck off of, and obviously can shoot. Crashes the net well, wins a ton of puck battles.

Skating will determine if he is a AAA+ AHLer or a 3W/4W in the NHL.

Free wallet!

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

He is a beast and very hard to get the puck off of, and obviously can shoot. Crashes the net well, wins a ton of puck battles.

Free wallet!
I'd sign him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Some truc won't fix this. They will probably need to retool the team and I don't doubt a big 3 player is traded.

Once the contract drama was on thats all she wrote. Dubas crapt the bed.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Muzzins been underwhelming and makes just as many bonehead plays as Gardiner did. Grundstrom would have been perfect for this team and exactly what we sorely lack, not to mention the 1st pick that's likely gonna land where it usually does when we once again exit in the first round..Of course Muzzin improves our D but I don't see him moving the needle all that far. I'm not sure he was the one to go all in for past his prime while gutting our cupboards and also for just 2 playoffs worth.

Our defense is still bottom 10 in the league and we can only ask Anderson to do so much before the wheels fall off and our terrible system, systematic softness/laziness and underwhelming defensive personnel is exposed.

Should be an entertaining playoff round though, always chalk-full of bipolar drama like we all live for being Leafs fans! We definitely have a chance but damn the highly paid players have to show they're worth it!

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Goaltending, skill and that extra level that each player has to bring to the playoffs. That’s what wins you a Cup. Having players who don’t usually block shots or throw hits, bringing that to their game is what makes all the difference.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Muzzins been underwhelming and makes just as many bonehead plays as Gardiner did. Grundstrom would have been perfect for this team and exactly what we sorely lack, not to mention the 1st pick that's likely gonna land where it usually does when we once again exit in the first round..Of course Muzzin improves our D but I don't see him moving the needle all that far. I'm not sure he was the one to go all in for past his prime while gutting our cupboards and also for just 2 playoffs worth.

Our defense is still bottom 10 in the league and we can only ask Anderson to do so much before the wheels fall off and our terrible system, systematic softness/laziness and underwhelming defensive personnel is exposed.

Should be an entertaining playoff round though, always chalk-full of bipolar drama like we all live for being Leafs fans! We definitely have a chance but damn the highly paid players have to show they're worth it!

Sorry, but you can't undervalue how much of a system change Muzzin is facing. You can see it plainly.

Muzzin played in a King's system where the forwards came back, and were there for quick, short passes from the D to exit the zone. Babcock wants the D to skate with it and either exit the zone or make a stretch pass to our forwards, who don't come back.

I know what Babcock wants, but a good coach implements systems that play to his players strengths, not what he wishes for and ignores reality.

In the interim, Muzzin brings grit and is the only one who makes the opposing forwards come across the blue line with their head up.

He's been a good addition, and will only get better when he has a competent defensive partner, and isn't shackled with Zaitsev, who brings everyone he is paired with down.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Free wallet!

Feels like Dubas would be more interested in him if he was 5'6, 125 lbs............. :(:(

Would rather sign him than some of those NCAA players we were rumored to be in on.

Reactions: Crysis

RLF

May 5, 2014
Every team that has lifted the Cup has had Skill, toughness and a little Lady Luck.

Let’s hope that it continues this year and winning will still have meaning.

And most importantly compete. Without the willingness to compete, the rest isn't enough even with a little lady luck. Definitely can't count on Big load of luck as it is such a small part of it.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Sorry, but you can't undervalue how much of a system change Muzzin is facing. You can see it plainly.

Muzzin played in a King's system where the forwards came back, and were there for quick, short passes from the D to exit the zone. Babcock wants the D to skate with it and either exit the zone or make a stretch pass to our forwards, who don't come back.

I know what Babcock wants, but a good coach implements systems that play to his players strengths, not what he wishes for and ignores reality.

In the interim, Muzzin brings grit and is the only one who makes the opposing forwards come across the blue line with their head up.

He's been a good addition, and will only get better when he has a competent defensive partner, and isn't shackled with Zaitsev, who brings everyone he is paired with down.

Also, he is becoming less effective in our end because we do not play a pressure style of defensive coverage. Muzzin is most effective when he pressures, uses his body and breaks up cycles. Problem is, he is about our only D that has played that way and been effective, so as a team, we don't play a defensive style that suits Muzzin the most. We have seen what it is like with Gardiner, Zaitsev, OZ and even Rielly, Dermott, Hainsey on one on one physical battles and even the latter are not great at it, where Muzzin is. My belief is Babcock feels if we play a D style that would suit Muzzin, many of the other D would get exposed.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Can someone please find out WHO exactly is insisting we pack the squad with tiny swift water bugs - the coach or the GM?

Watching our little 4th line being knocked onto their a** every shift is really bizarre in the NHL. Is Babcock insisting on this or is he just dealing with what Dubas is handing him? It's important to know, because a first round playoff exit will shine bright light on this decision, and whoever is responsible must be held accountable and maybe pay with their job.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I don't really like to use the term luck, I prefer factors beyond the team's control. Whatever you call it, there's been a ton of it in every successful cup run.

Yes, you need to get favourable "bounces" etc more for than against. But a lot of those bounces come from hard work and compete. You don't fight to get to the net and the puck doesn't hit your leg and go in. You don't pressure the D and they don't hurry a pass that goes off a skate and into the slot. Teams that don't compete as hard, typically do not get as many bounces. There's a reason for it and it isn't out of control random luck.imo

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I don't really like to use the term luck, I prefer factors beyond the team's control. Whatever you call it, there's been a ton of it in every successful cup run.

You're right, you shouldn't use that term at all.

Imagine you failed on your job, your boss asked you why and you chalked it up to "bad luck".

You'd probably be fired on the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad