Leafs need more truculence!!!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you cannot acquire more of something(truculence)Might you be better getting rid of something(Babcock)

So we do not acquire the truculence Babs has been craving for and we get rid of him when we lose because we did not acquire enough ? Seems to me Babs could turn around and say "I told you so, how many times ???".

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don't know what magic fix people are looking for personnel-wise. We already have a pair of elite #1C's, elite #1RW's, a Norris contender, a solid #2 now with Muzzin and a world-class goalie.

This lackadaisical and underwhelming play the team brings on some nights has so little to do with grit/toughness. We've whoooped Winnipeg, Nashville, Vegas, Washington etc... when our team comes ready for battle, grit/toughness be damned.

What needs to happen is for us to make better use out of the players we already have. I have no idea why people expect the team dynamic to magically change if Simmonds and Gudas get brought in. All it would be is a monumental waste of assets.
Not sure why Babcock can't coach his players into finishing checks. I don't think we need a hitting assembly line but it would be nice to see a strapping guy like Matthews hit at a rate equal or better than McDavid to set a tone for the rest of the team.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So we do not acquire the truculence Babs has been craving for and we get rid of him when we lose because we did not acquire enough ? Seems to me Babs could turn around and say "I told you so, how many times ???".
We have a coach who repeatedly says this:
“We’re not as good a hockey team without [Hyman],” Babcock says. “We’re not as heavy. We don’t forecheck as good. We don’t hang on to the puck in the O-zone. We’re not as good on the penalty kill.”

Yet people still protest to us asking for heavier players.
Don’t believe us then, take the word of the coach. It’s playoff hockey.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Not sure why Babcock can't coach his players into finishing checks. I don't think we need a hitting assembly line but it would be nice to see a strapping guy like Matthews hit at a rate equal or better than McDavid to set a tone for the rest of the team.

No thanks, I don't need Matthews finishing his checks no matter what his size. Maybe ramp this up a bit in the playoffs. Save his energy and his lumps and concentrate on being a skilled player.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I still can't believe people cannot differentiate between toughness and goon. Guys like Crosby and Malkin play heavy, Ovechkin plays heavy. Either the guys on the roster now start doing the same or playoff success will be difficult. Fly by stick checks won't work.

RLF

May 5, 2014

I think a lot of it is just player DNA and history. Mostly we are talking about the players whose strengths are speed and skill. They have never had to be physical their whole lives to be successful playing the games. Guys like Kadri, Hyman, Goat for example needed to do a little extra to be the players they are. To me, guys like; Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Ennis, Brown, Rielly, Gardiner etc never needed to be that physical or just don't have the physique to play that way. . Hard to get them to do something they never did for most of their lives. Tavares is all attitude in wanting to be the best in every aspect. He is unfortunately the exception not the rule.
Which is why we need to bring in a player or two with this skillset. imo

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I have firmly believed it comes down to some of 3 things ( there tends to be never just 1 reason in life)

1) either it's part of your character or it's not
2)someone has been able to convince you, that you either play with jam or your NHL career will be very short (aka lack pure talent) RE lots of bruins players.
3)your team mantra/core has/is play with jam/sacrifice , we ARE A TEAM back up your brothers.

I see very very very little of any of these 3 tenants on the leafs roster. We are chalked full of skilled "i gotta get mine" players (most think they have the needed skill to survive" they don't need jam/sacrifice to stay in the league).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Given his shoulder issues, i truly understand his hesitations.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
No thanks, I don't need Matthews finishing his checks no matter what his size. Maybe ramp this up a bit in the playoffs. Save his energy and his lumps and concentrate on being a skilled player.
He probably thinks the same. That is why Tavares should be Captain

Reactions: dsred

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I think a lot of it is just player DNA and history. Mostly we are talking about the players whose strengths are speed and skill. They have never had to be physical their whole lives to be successful playing the games. Guys like Kadri, Hyman, Goat for example needed to do a little extra to be the players they are. To me, guys like; Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Ennis, Brown, Rielly, Gardiner etc never needed to be that physical or just don't have the physique to play that way. . Hard to get them to do something they never did for most of their lives. Tavares is all attitude in wanting to be the best in every aspect. He is unfortunately the exception not the rule.
Which is why we need to bring in a player or two with this skillset. imo
Asking to nudge up Matthews numbers a bit to McDavid levels is hardly being physical.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I won’t be satisfied until they win the Cup.
Do I think they are lacking in areas to go 4 rounds, possible 28 games? Yes.

Now we have a first test. It seems we are on course to play Boston 1st round.
Home ice is there for the taking. Take it.

IMO, winning a Cup is not the only satisfying aspect of following the team. In fact, that’s secondary and not even on the radar right now.
This team lacks in so many areas. We’ve watched it all year; losing puck battles and having the goalie bail them out.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Asking to nudge up Matthews numbers a bit to McDavid levels is hardly being physical.

Never said it was. I was just saying maybe not in their DNA or likely how they have ever played. Guys like McDavid are so rare. They have every element; extreme talent, work ethic, desire, etc. I think Marner has all the elements, but I am not sure on Matthews and Nylander.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Reason why a Austin Matthews gets hurt all the time is because he's playing a mans game in a boys body. Have you ever seen this guy with no equipment. He's tall and has the ability to be fill out his frame but right now he will never be a player that takes over a game because he's still a little boy.

No reason why Austin Matthews cannot become the best player in the league, he just needs to take his conditioning up a little. And use his size to his advantage. He rarely does this. If he attempts to play a McDavid game, he will be one of many in this league that will always fall beneath that type of stardom. If he takes his game and commitment up a level, uses his body more and uses off seasons to get stronger. That is when we will have one of the best players in the league. Right now he is clumped in behind McDavid.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Given his shoulder issues, i truly understand his hesitations.
I get it but when you hit, you usually move your shoulder into a safe position. Most shoulder injuries come from unexpected hits and usually from the boards.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Never said it was. I was just saying maybe not in their DNA or likely how they have ever played. Guys like McDavid are so rare. They have every element; extreme talent, work ethic, desire, etc. I think Marner has all the elements, but I am not sure on Matthews and Nylander.
I get it. Weird to see a big player not use his mass a bit more though. A single good hit in a game can set a tempo.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you guys realize that the coyotes beat us with speed, speed, and more speed, right?

Reactions: Mitchy

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I still can't believe people cannot differentiate between toughness and goon. Guys like Crosby and Malkin play heavy, Ovechkin plays heavy. Either the guys on the roster now start doing the same or playoff success will be difficult. Fly by stick checks won't work.

Well people on this board told me that Crosby wasn’t a power forward?

RLF

May 5, 2014
I get it. Weird to see a big player not use his mass a bit more though. A single good hit in a game can set a tempo.

He uses his size and reach at times, but mostly when he already has the puck. I agree, I would like to see him at least lean on a few guys more to get it in battles, even if he isn't throwing hits.

RLF

May 5, 2014
you guys realize that the coyotes beat us with speed, speed, and more speed, right?

I agree they are quick and it was a factor. Although, we are a fast team as well. I think desire and our lack of adjustments was more of a factor.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Yep, that’s what we’ve been talking about for months...Agressive pursuit of the puck, easily winning puck battles, combined with aggressive D.
That’s why teams see the Leafs and say it’s going to be a soft game.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I get it but when you hit, you usually move your shoulder into a safe position. Most shoulder injuries come from unexpected hits and usually from the boards.

both shoulders got wrecked these past 2 seasons

call it his build or genetics or what ever

that is a risk i am unwilling to take given everything in total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad