Leafs need a new coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Who they replace Babcock with?

Keefe? That seems a little risky to me. Jeff Blashill was similarly successful at the AHL level, but was clearly in over is head when he made the move to the NHL as a head coach. He's gotten better as time has gone on, but there was a pretty extended length of time where he was an absolute train-wreck. If they bring up Keefe, there isn't gonna be a whole lot of room for error.

I guess they could make Hakstol interim head coach, but I'm pretty sure that'd be a disaster -- he was awful in Philly.

Who cares at this point? Babcock hasn’t won 3 straight games with the Leafs since 17-18. That ain’t the players.

I’d love to see Boudreau coach this Leafs team tbh.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
6.4 million? That’s cute.

The population of the greater LA area is 18.79 million as of two years ago. Staples center holds 18,500. The Kings are not selling out because the team is bad, and we won two cups this decade. You’re proving my point.

Its also LA, arguably the best weather in the nation and has a million other things to offer instead of sports as entertainment. Heck if I was in LA hockey wouldn't even be on my radar on things to do lol.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Can Tampa Bay hurry up and fire Cooper so TML and TBL can do a coaching swap?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
6.4 million? That’s cute.

The population of the greater LA area is 18.79 million as of two years ago. Staples center holds 18,500. The Kings are not selling out because the team is bad, and we won two cups this decade. You’re proving my point.

The Kings also likely don't have a several decade long waitlist for season tickets, or have people willing their spot on that waitlist down upon their death.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Babcock takes some of the blame but man Dubas sucks. Soft, overpaid, gutless team. It's no surprise the Islanders are better without Tavares. I don't know if there is a simple answer to this.

Also, Babcock thinks he's God's gift to the NHL. Even with the Red Wings, it wasn't about the players, it was always about Babcock. He's so arrogant that he even wrote a book.

Shanahan needs to step in and bring an experienced GM in. Problem is that there aren't too many of them out there.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yes keep blaming everyone aside from the core players. See how long that facade holds up.
Those who feel that Babcock is the only reason this is happening are out to lunch. He isn’t a good coach but they have a plethora of flaws.

However, the easiest and quickest move to make is a coaching change, and at this point, even just to change the bad atmosphere and vibes hanging over the team, it’s s move they should make.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Is it possible shanahan is not allowing a coaching change? After all, shanahan was the man responsible for making Babcock BY FAR the highest paid coach in hockey history.

It would be a really bad look for shanahan to have his personal choice for a coach fired with more than $20 million remaining on Babcock’s contract.

is Dubas just a puppet for higher ups like shanahan, the same way JFJ was? Certainly a real possibility

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I remember the giant hullaballoo when they hired Babcock, it was like they got the Rolling Stones to play their birthday party or something. A coaching change is probably the easiest and quickest way to affect some sort of shakeup but I don't know if it "fixes" much. The roster is talented yes, but still deeply flawed.

Whoever comes next better come correct because the Toronto media will chew you up and spit you out pretty damn quick if you don't. Add Babs to the list.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Babcock takes some of the blame but man Dubas sucks. Soft, overpaid, gutless team. It's no surprise the Islanders are better without Tavares. I don't know if there is a simple answer to this.

NYI fan here - Tavares is neither soft nor gutless. He gets down on himself, for sure, and that's a problem for team leaders. I didn't need the benefit of hindsight to think that roster imbalance would hurt the leafs, nor did many other folks beyond the ostriches. It's nuts.

Reactions: GrizzGreen

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
The leafs have so much support but still fail. Shame.
I dislike the leafs as much as the next guy. But I’m not sure what fan base size has to do with ability of the actual players?

the nhl is pretty public about attendance issues in tertiary markets like Florida, Arizona, Long Island, and the like. Doesn’t mean those teams are going to struggle in the standing like you seem to be suggesting

Reactions: Chompchompr

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Those who feel that Babcock is the only reason this is happening are out to lunch. He isn’t a good coach but they have a plethora of flaws.

However, the easiest and quickest move to make is a coaching change, and at this point, even just to change the bad atmosphere and vibes hanging over the team, it’s s move they should make.
Replacing the coach is the easiest move. But you are absolutely correct. People that are hanging their hat on it is solely the fault of the coach are being purposely Being blind to the leafs flaws.

The assistant coaches were blamed this summer, they were replaced. And the special teams have been worse. So replacing Babcock there are no guarantees. Things can be worse. Would Carlye, Horacek, Wilson, or Maurice done better? The last 4 Leafs coaches. Doubtful. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: koyvoo

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I dislike the leafs as much as the next guy. But I’m not sure what fan base size has to do with ability of the actual players?

the nhl is pretty public about attendance issues in tertiary markets like Florida, Arizona, Long Island, and the like. Doesn’t mean those teams are going to struggle in the standing like you seem to be suggesting
I didn’t bring up attendance. You did. Remember when you brought up attendance?

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
The Leafs sure are giving off the vibe of a team that has tuned out their coach. Say what you will about the flaws as a team but they're way too talented to be losing 5 in a row and getting skated out of the rink.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Is it possible shanahan is not allowing a coaching change? After all, shanahan was the man responsible for making Babcock BY FAR the highest paid coach in hockey history.

It would be a really bad look for shanahan to have his personal choice for a coach fired with more than $20 million remaining on Babcock’s contract.

is Dubas just a puppet for higher ups like shanahan, the same way JFJ was? Certainly a real possibility
Apparently everybody is in Vegas as we speak
Maybe even tanenbaum

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Matthews and Marner contracts kicking in had far more of an effect on the team than many Leafs fans wanted to admit this summer. I felt they significantly downgraded their forward depth, downgraded their D, and downgraded their overall team defence losing guys like Kadri, Brown, Hainsey and Gardiner, and bringing in a defensive liability D in Barrie and a pretty trash D in Ceci.

I thought they'd still be a wildcard team coming into this year, but it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that they're leaking goals against after their off season moves to accommodate the contracts of the big 4. I think they would have been better off dealing Nylander for a 2-way D instead of Kadri, but I also understand that his value wasn't all that high after a terrible season last year. Maybe they should look at revisiting it this summer if he continues to bounce back as a 60P player.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad