Leafs need a new coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
As a Wings fan who was very critical of Babcock his last 4-to-5 seasons in Detroit, it is very nice to see him fall flat on his face in Toronto with a lot of the same criticisms surfacing there.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I remember Red Wings fans being pissed about how Babcock valued "veterans" over their young guns for years. Babcock playing Leafs "veterans" over players like Matthews in the playoffs is baffling, but seems to be in line with Babcock's ideology/strategy.
Mike Modano strongly disagrees with this statement...but Danny Cleary says YES! It does though appear to be MBs modus operandi. It will be his undoing in Toronto, too. Can’t see him catching on anywhere after this. He’s not built for that kindler, gentler youth that are populating the league nowadays.

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I wonder how different things would be if Lou Lamoriello has been kept instead of promoting Dubas. Look at the Islanders now.

Dubas isn’t on the ice. He’s been here less than 2 years.

blaming the leafs woes on Dubas is such a lazy point to make.

Anyway, I don’t want to prevent the collection of “neutral” fans who don’t watch leaf games explain to the masses the issues with Toronto.

PuckFather

Oct 14, 2014

Anyway, I don’t want to prevent the collection of “neutral” fans who don’t watch leaf games explain to the masses the issues with Toronto.
He's partly responsible. Signing 4 players to half the cap and not having cap space to sign a capable back up goalie or quality depth players is on him exclusively.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
He's partly responsible. Signing 4 players to half the cap and not having cap space to sign a capable back up goalie or quality depth players is on him exclusively.

A backup goalie? quality depth? No offence, but you really don’t have a clue.

Toronto’s depth has done everything asked of them this season, and then some. And the backup goalie position, while being an issue, is not as huge of a deal as the parrots of HF would lead you to believe.

Dubas said he would sign the 3 kids and he did. While the cap looks pretty bleak, all of Toronto’s key players were retained. This is probably one of the most skilled leafs teams ever assembled. Babs player usage is the most obvious issue with this group, start there and work your way down the list.

The poster I quoted and responded too specifically mentioned the Islanders, which actually makes my position even stronger in regards to babcock. Babs’ player usage is abysmal vs Trots who clearly gets the most out of his guys and puts his players in a position to succeed. The same can’t be said for TOR’s coach.

Reactions: KapG

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
A backup goalie? quality depth? No offence, but you really don’t have a clue.

Toronto’s depth has done everything asked of them this season, and then some. And the backup goalie position, while being an issue, is not as huge of a deal as the parrots of HF would lead you to believe.

Dubas said he would sign the 3 kids and he did. While the cap looks pretty bleak, all of Toronto’s key players were retained. This is probably one of the most skilled leafs teams ever assembled. Babs player usage is the most obvious issue with this group, start there and work your way down the list.

The poster I quoted and responded too specifically mentioned the Islanders, which actually makes my position even stronger in regards to babcock. Babs’ player usage is abysmal vs Trots who clearly gets the most out of his guys and puts his players in a position to succeed. The same can’t be said for TOR’s coach.

There backup goalie was winless forcing them to waive him and promote a rookie who's not ready for the NHL.

You can't make the playoffs unless you plan on having the starter play 70 games. If Anderson plays 60 games and the backups remain winless, likely? not really, but out of 22 games a backup will play lets say they only win 5 games, that's 17 losses for the backup goalie. Now if you factor in Anderson having a bad game or two, then its looking pretty bleak for making the playoffs.

You need to rest your goalie and have a reliable sidekick. This is not 2005 and Brodeur is not your netminder. The Leafs are winless in 6 games with Hutchinson and now 7 games total without a backup goalie victory. How is this a small issue 22 games into the season?

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
There backup goalie was winless forcing them to waive him and promote a rookie who's not ready for the NHL.

You can't make the playoffs unless you plan on having the starter play 70 games. If Anderson plays 60 games and the backups remain winless, likely? not really, but out of 22 games a backup will play lets say they only win 5 games, that's 17 losses for the backup goalie. Now if you factor in Anderson having a bad game or two, then its looking pretty bleak for making the playoffs.

You need to rest your goalie and have a reliable sidekick. This is not 2005 and Brodeur is not your netminder. The Leafs are winless in 6 games with Hutchinson and now 7 games total without a backup goalie victory. How is this a small issue?

How about putting the backup in a position to succeed instead of just throwing him to the wolves on the 2nd game of every back-to-back?

I do agree with the points you’ve made in regards to having a reliable backup.

Andersen can barley string together wins the way the team is playing. I don’t think there are many backup goalies that would have a great record on this leafs team. The team moral is pretty low. While Hutch is pretty bad, the problems run deeper than him.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver

Dubas trades away most of the grit and better defensive players the Leafs had last year. And they are worse off for it. He made their most obvious weakness worse. I am sure Lamoriello would not have made those same decisions.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs changed the assistant coaches last year. Turns out they were better than the current ones they replaced them with. I don’t disagree with replacing babcock. But people expecting the special teams and defence would be better without hillier and smith will similarly be disappointed . Sooner they fire Babcock, sooner the spotlight will fall on where the blame should be. The players and the gm that brought them in. Dubas. Then the leafs can truly move fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad