Leafs need a new coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We have a tonne of talent at all positions, but look completely lost in terms of team defence and special teams. Team d and special teams are the top areas of impact for a coaching staff. We're good in terms of even strength offence, but that's the most talent driven part of the game.

This is partly on the players, but no coach in the league is getting less out of the talent given to him than Babs. This isn't a new problem either - Babs has never had this team playing good team d, and we've been garbage overall since ~halfway through last season. It's obvious that we need a coaching change immediately.

If a new coach doesn't fix things, then fire Dubas in the offseason, and bring in a new GM, who can try to shake up the roster. But the first move, that we urgently have to make, is to give new coaches a try.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
  • Coaching life span has reached the end. Normal as they're hired to be fired.
  • Roster that Dubas constructed has too many of the same types of players. The roster needed more balance.
  • Dubas is a rookie GM and it shows
All that and you have where the Leafs are now. I'm a Leafs/Hawks fan but definitely my #1 is the Leafs...and I think yea, you can definitely just crap on the Leafs if you're a fan of the other teams. Most Leafs fans won't fight you on it right now, a lot of apathy because we're bad and we know it. This team isn't young and learning, we're built to win or attempt to win but the GM / Coach are awful.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
The entire organization needs a reality check, fans included. The arrogant mindset, the self-importance and self-entitlement have led to every problem it's had. Because the Leafs are the league's richest team, they somehow believe they're kings of the world, the league is enabling them by pampering them every chance it gets and you end up with Dubas who thinks he's always the smartest man in the room. He's built a one-dimensional team of pure offensive skill and nothing else. No grit, no leadership, no resilience and ridiculous contracts that hamstring the organization moving forward.

Now they have Marner and Kerfoot injured and, having no cap room, can't replace them so they're riding the rest of their stars like mules. The team's forwards are going to be burned out come game 50 unless something's done to relieve them. The defense is god-awful, the coaching is antiquated and yet the league and the fanbase still believe they're the second coming of Christ. That Toronto overconfidence keeps them making stupid things and it's time they smartened up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Muzzin is the only player who knows how to defend.

This is a player issue not a coaching issue.

Wayyyy too much offense and next to no defense.

Also their #1 D is absolutely horrifying defensively.
Rielly definitely isn't a stud defensively, but he's also not quite that bad. I think playing with terrible Cody Ceci doesn't help, but I agree that no one would ever make the mistake of calling Rielly a 2-way D.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For all the talk of coaching changes. I could be right or wrong, but I don't think Shanahan and Dubas will make one with 5 road games in a row on the schedule. I can see the back to back against Buffalo as a tipping point on Nov 29 and 30. Let's just say Keefe is on deck, they will want to give him the softest landing as possible. They want to set themselves out by looking they made the right move rather than have Keefe whom no one knows will be successful at the NHL starting on a 5 game road trip with a losing record. Shanahan is smart enough to realize this. You only get a limited amount of coaching firings before the cross hairs are on you, in this case the GM and President.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The NHL isn’t one down leafs year from folding. The leafs aren’t even the most profitable franchise. You’re overestimating the impact a few non-sellouts would have.
If the Leafs were just some random average team like the Avs in terms of revenue, you better believe it would impact the financial landscape of the NHL.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We have a tonne of talent at all positions, but look completely lost in terms of team defence and special teams. Team d and special teams are the top areas of impact for a coaching staff. We're good in terms of even strength offence, but that's the most talent driven part of the game.

This is partly on the players, but no coach in the league is getting less out of the talent given to him than Babs. This isn't a new problem either - Babs has never had this team playing good team d, and we've been garbage overall since ~halfway through last season. It's obvious that we need a coaching change immediately.

If a new coach doesn't fix things, then fire Dubas in the offseason, and bring in a new GM, who can try to shake up the roster. But the first move, that we urgently have to make, is to give new coaches a try.

Im seriously not trying to just take a dig here, but you DO NOT have a ton of talent at all positions. The Leafs defense on paper is terrible. It’s got some guys who can move the puck adequately but it’s horrible defensively on paper. Unless somehow defenseman playing defense doesn’t qualify as “talent”.

Anderson is also not nearly consistency enough to really be considered any sort of #1 to write home about relative to NHL goalies.

Offense - the talent (even if it’s not showing) is undeniable.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Im seriously not trying to just take a dig here, but you DO NOT have a ton of talent at all positions. The Leafs defense on paper is terrible. It’s got some guys who can move the puck adequately but it’s horrible defensively on paper. Unless somehow defenseman playing defense doesn’t qualify as “talent”.

Anderson is also not nearly consistency enough to really be considered any sort of #1 to write home about relative to NHL goalies.

Offense - the talent (even if it’s not showing) is undeniable.
Don’t really agree - this was true awhile ago, but not so much anymore. Muzzin has been widely regarded as excellent defensively both before and after being acquired by the Leafs, and Rielly has improved a tonne over time and is on a very similar level as Muzzin. Dermott is really good defensively too, crazy good gap control.

Holl is fine defensively for a 6D, Barrie and Ceci are both weak defensively, but not terrible. So overall 3 dmen who are strong defensively, 1 who’s average, 2 who are weak, not bad, especially since they’re strong puck movers. Tones of coaches are doing WAY MORE with WAY LESS. Just look at the Isles, they’ve been the top defensive team in the league the past 2 seasons with much worse dmen. Hell, a very similar group was the WORST defensive team in the league until they hired Trotz. Defence is massively, massively influenced by the coach/system.

As for Andersen, he’s easily a top 10 goalie in the league, arguably top 5. He’s a strong starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyrophorus

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
Boatloads of talent but everyone seems to play for themselves not as a team Coaching is not the main issue.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If the Leafs were just some random average team like the Avs in terms of revenue, you better believe it would impact the financial landscape of the NHL.

Some of you guys are so proud of the MLSE income statement, you’d think they were paying you dividends.

Impact? Sure. But the leafs aren’t in a class by themselves, keeping the league afloat because they fill Scotiabank Arena every night. There are 3 teams that separate themselves from the pack, and the Leafs were most recently 3rd in NOI in that group. After that are about 25 profitable franchises. So no, we won’t be halving the salary cap if the leafs fail to sell out next game.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Babcock is an absolute fraud, his reputation as a great coach is a complete farce IMO.

Care to elaborate why you feel that way?
I'm not saying I think he's the best there ever was, but his accomplishments with different teams have been pretty good, there's no denying that.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a Habs fan but - yes they do.

I think Babcock is still a great coach - and if he got fired, someone else would hire him and maybe he even leads said team to a cup in year 1. he's pretty good.

But being a good coach is great and all - sometimes the best thing is still to do a change and bring someone new in. I think it's time for Toronto.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The entire organization needs a reality check, fans included. The arrogant mindset, the self-importance and self-entitlement have led to every problem it's had. Because the Leafs are the league's richest team, they somehow believe they're kings of the world, the league is enabling them by pampering them every chance it gets and you end up with Dubas who thinks he's always the smartest man in the room. He's built a one-dimensional team of pure offensive skill and nothing else. No grit, no leadership, no resilience and ridiculous contracts that hamstring the organization moving forward.

Now they have Marner and Kerfoot injured and, having no cap room, can't replace them so they're riding the rest of their stars like mules. The team's forwards are going to be burned out come game 50 unless something's done to relieve them. The defense is god-awful, the coaching is antiquated and yet the league and the fanbase still believe they're the second coming of Christ. That Toronto overconfidence keeps them making stupid things and it's time they smartened up.

Coming from a Habs fan talking about "reality checks", "arrogance", "self-importance", "self-entitlement", thinking "they are kings of the world" and being "pampered by the league" are all pretty damn rich accusations.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
We have a team that's built on skill and speed with a coach that wants them to grind and slow down the game. The philosophies of our GM and coach are in stark contrast to one another.

Also, we brought in a guy that coached Florida's PP to #2 in the league last year in Paul McFarland, but yet the Leafs' PP tactics haven't changed from prior years. It tells me that Babcock has a lot more say in the PP than he should.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Coming from a Habs fan talking about "reality checks", "arrogance", "self-importance", "self-entitlement", thinking "they are kings of the world" and being "pampered by the league" are all pretty damn rich accusations.

I have arguments to support, or at least justify my post. You have... indignation? Nothing posted was outrageously false. The Habs are a PROVEN dynasty and fans actually have something to brag about. Leafs fans have nothing and yet the league panders to them because Toronto is basically the USA of Canada. And sorry, but on HF Habs fans have nothing on Leafs fans. We've come to terms with our team in the last few years and it is actually performing better than expected while The Leafs are s****ing the bed and most of their fans are STILL acting they're the sport's gold standard. Your management jumped the gun and overpaid your wunderkinds. Now it's time to choke on it because things are gonna get worse before they get better. Don't go abusing those quotes now.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I have arguments to support, or at least justify my post. You have... indignation? Nothing posted was outrageously false. The Habs are a PROVEN dynasty and fans actually have something to brag about. Leafs fans have nothing and yet the league panders to them because Toronto is basically the USA of Canada. And sorry, but on HF Habs fans have nothing on Leafs fans. We've come to terms with our team in the last few years and it is actually performing better than expected while The Leafs are s****ing the bed and most of their fans are STILL acting they're the sport's gold standard. Your management jumped the gun and overpaid your wunderkinds. Now it's time to choke on it because things are gonna get worse before they get better. Don't go abusing those quotes now.

Looks like I've entered into a discussion with a real mental giant here. Next to nothing you posted in either of your diatribes ever approached an actual fact but thanks for that. I guess it's kinda fun to know how in your heads the Leafs are though

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Looks like I've entered into a discussion with a real mental giant here. Next to nothing you posted in either of your diatribes ever approached an actual fact but thanks for that. I guess it's kinda fun to know how in your heads the Leafs are though

Nah. You've entered nothing really. We're done here. If you can't see anything "ever approaching" a fact well... sorry. Can't help you there. Thanks for calling me dumb though. Made my day.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Muzzin is the only player who knows how to defend.

This is a player issue not a coaching issue.

Wayyyy too much offense and next to no defense.

Also their #1 D is absolutely horrifying defensively.

I kind of agree with you. Yes, the defense isn’t the best. Yet they still look like they’re not sure what they’re supposed to do. Even Muzzin, who you mentioned, looks lost at times. IMO, that’s a coaching/systems thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad