:habs

Jeff Petry
Logan Shaw
2nd round pick(CHI/WSH)

:leafs

Matt Martin
Kasperi Kapanen
1st round pick

Doesn't really do anything for me. Petry would be on the 3rd pairing, and the whole point of moving Martin is to feed Kapanen his minutes. Not even going to touch on taking on Shaw's contract or downgrading our pick 30+ spots

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Jeff Petry
Logan Shaw
2nd round pick(CHI/WSH)

Matt Martin
Kasperi Kapanen
1st round pick

Awful for us, we don't want Petry without retention to begin with. Wouldn't trade Kapanen or a 1st for Petry alone, retention or not.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
In another thread someone mentioned paying his July 1 bonus and then trading him with no salary retained and it seems like what might happen here. Isles could take him now but Leafs would prob have to retain about 1 mil each year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
how was that icing?

If they trade after July 1, there will only be 1.25 million per year in cash on the last two years, with a cap hit of twice that.

No need to retain. Keep him in reserve for the playoffs. Then, after payment of his bonus, someone will bite.

Replied to wrong post. Its the one above.

[Time for as new tablet.]

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
We’ll see
In the playoffs I guess
What is it about playoff hockey that makes you think a guy that can't score, can't pass, won't fight, barely hits, will somehow become so much more valuable? You want to play Martin 15+ minutes in the playoffs just to see how many goals we can give up to the other team or something? No? Well his 5 minutes a night isn't going to do much either.. If other teams are going to be grinding them down, Matt Martin isn't going to be able to do anything about that sitting on the bench and giving him another more skilled/useful players ice time isn't going to solve anything.

Players get hurt all the time.. They got hurt when goons were a regular part of the team as well.. Enforcers don't prevent injuries and they never have. There might have been a day a while back where enforcers inspired fear in some players but that day is long gone and Matt Martin is not those enforcers.

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017

Jeff Petry
Logan Shaw
2nd round pick(CHI/WSH)

Matt Martin
Kasperi Kapanen
1st round pick

Do people still spit their drink at their screen?

This is ridiculous...as in I don’t think there’s been a more ridiculous trade offer on her in ages.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
What is it about playoff hockey that makes you think a guy that can't score, can't pass, won't fight, barely hits, will somehow become so much more valuable? You want to play Martin 15+ minutes in the playoffs just to see how many goals we can give up to the other team or something? No? Well his 5 minutes a night isn't going to do much either.. If other teams are going to be grinding them down, Matt Martin isn't going to be able to do anything about that sitting on the bench and giving him another more skilled/useful players ice time isn't going to solve anything.

Players get hurt all the time.. They got hurt when goons were a regular part of the team as well.. Enforcers don't prevent injuries and they never have. There might have been a day a while back where enforcers inspired fear in some players but that day is long gone and Matt Martin is not those enforcers.

Agreed, Martin just isn't going to cut it when you are rolling 4-lines leading up to and in the playoffs. If you don't have 4 lines that can skate and score, then best of luck. I hope the Leafs can find him a home on a non playoff team looking for toughness for a minor pick. Great character guy.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Mistake. Martin is exactly the type of player the Leafs have zero of to replace him. He's also they guy you want going crazy once in a while to keep other teams honest, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: shortfuze

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If they trade after July 1, there will only be 1.25 million per year in cash on the last two years, with a cap hit of twice that.

No need to retain. Keep him in reserve for the playoffs. Then, after payment of his bonus, someone will bite.

Replied to wrong post. Its the one above.

[Time for as new tablet.]

Maybe he's a good fit with Arizona just as he was for the Leafs being such a young team. Still, I hope they can make a deal before July 1st as Martin doesn't deserve to be scratched half a season. But as they say, it's a business...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Would certainly open up some possibilities if the Leafs are actually in on Erik Gudbranson, and want to move at least some of Martin's salary the other way.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Mistake. Martin is exactly the type of player the Leafs have zero of to replace him. He's also they guy you want going crazy once in a while to keep other teams honest, especially in the playoffs.
Martin isn't needed.. The team plays way better without him in the line up. How is icing an inferior line up supposed to help in the playoffs? We've already seen the kids get hurt or cheap shotted, having Matt Martin on the team did absolutely nothing to prevent that.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Martin isn't needed.. The team plays way better without him in the line up. How is icing an inferior line up supposed to help in the playoffs? We've already seen the kids get hurt or cheap shotted, having Matt Martin on the team did absolutely nothing to prevent that.

Exactly, and quite honestly, all teams are dressing as much skill as possible anyway. Maybe a different story in the first half of the season but now with less than 30 games left, it's about skill and speed regardless of what line you're on in today's NHL. There aren't many heavy teams left and the ones that are, are in the west. If I'm not mistaken, the Leafs wrapped up those games already earlier in the season anyway.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Biggest thing here leafs need to shed minimum 2 contracts here before they can add. In fact id say 3 would be optimal. Maybe Edmonton takes him? Cheap replacement if they trade Maroon??

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Biggest thing here leafs need to shed minimum 2 contracts here before they can add. In fact id say 3 would be optimal. Maybe Edmonton takes him? Cheap replacement if they trade Maroon??

If the Leafs retain half and add an asset to him otherwise he shouldn't be of any interest.

On the other hand Chia is currently in charge so probably Martin with no salary retained for a 2nd.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What happens when Dotchin knees Matthews?

Keeping money is a mistake. We still holding 1.2 on Kessel.

Well, hopefully hefty penalties on Dotchin that cost him and his team.

I know we all like some old school style hockey from time to time, but the notion that teams require enforcers to keep other teams in line is a bit embarrassing when you think about it. It's more of a statement on how poor NHL officiating/disciplinary action is, or at the very least how much confidence we have in it.

Matt Martin is a decent crash and bang player, but he's honestly a bit out of place on a Leafs team built on speed and skill. Plus he costs a heck-ton for what he brings.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd only retain if a nice draft pick / prospect is coming back.

I mean, these are NHL gm's were talking about. Would anyone seriously be surprised that a team would take on his whole contract and give up a 2nd/3rd round pick?

He's a goon that can play hockey (poorly), but I mean McLeod still gets picked up. Pittsburgh moved 30 spots down (from the 1st round) for Reeves. Both these guys couldn't hold Martin's jockstrap as an actual hockey player.

I'm not saying I'd trade for him at that price, I just think NHL GM's and coaches lick their lips at a player like him.
Yeah, in a salary cap league that relies more and more on speed and skill,I would be shocked if Martin bought back a 2nd or 3rd even with salary retained.
Bump this up if/when Martin is dealt.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yeah, in a salary cap league that relies more and more on speed and skill,I would be shocked if Martin bought back a 2nd or 3rd even with salary retained.
Bump this up if/when Martin is dealt.

That's fine. It's only an opinion that guys like him have value when everyone (except GM's and coaches) believe guys like him aren't necessary in the modern day NHL.

More of a prediction than me actually believing we are going to ask / want it.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I just appreciate that many here look at Martin as more than a player who has less than stellar skills in today's game. Most Leaf fans, I suspect Isle fans and others appreciate that Martin has been a solid citizen in the NHL, a good mentor and a decent 4th liner who is currently being paid more than his on ice abilities deserve. Players are not simply commodities, and a player like Martin should be treated and respected as the professional he has been. I hope something can be arranged that will allow him to ply his trade and contribute to a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad