Friedman: Leafs may keep money on a Matt Martin Trade

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
don't mind having Martin around as an extra forward for games that we think we'll need his element in the lineup, but he deserves a full time job somewhere. Never liked the contract but didn't mind the player and he seems like a great off ice influence

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think Martin is still an NHL player and probably wouldn't produce any less with Matthews than Hyman does. I hope he goes back to the Iles where he'll be appreciated.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Makes sense. This seems to be more about the player than the team.

Try and find a spot for him to play, since it’s unlikely he’ll be able to play anytime soon here

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Won't cost much to get him back....

Understandably. But obviously Leafs would have to retain as trying to re-unite the E=mc^2 line without retention would create a 4th line with a $9.35 million cap hit.

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
2.5-3.35-3.5

Sure the fans would be happy to ecstatic but it could just be another Garth Jedi mind trick in that he doesn't actually help our horribly porous defense. But hey, he did something. He's trying you guys!

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Don’t worry. There’d be plenty of eye-rolling, pitchfork-toting, and hand-wringing, along with the high fives and appreciation. The fan base is fractured. The only thing that everyone wants ine for the thumb.

If taking Matty back (-500k/yr) with Leivo gives us a boost and rids us of Chimera and a 3rd or 4th rounder, so be it. Doesn’t fix the D, but would make not dealing Brock and Prince for a serviceable 4,5 almost unthinkable.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Don’t worry. There’d be plenty of eye-rolling, pitchfork-toting, and hand-wringing, along with the high fives and appreciation. The fan base is fractured. The only thing that everyone wants ine for the thumb.

If taking Matty back (-500k/yr) with Leivo gives us a boost and rids us of Chimera and a 3rd or 4th rounder, so be it. Doesn’t fix the D, but would make not dealing Brock and Prince for a serviceable 4,5 almost unthinkable.
What's the story with Chimera this year?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Martin isn't needed.. The team plays way better without him in the line up. How is icing an inferior line up supposed to help in the playoffs? We've already seen the kids get hurt or cheap shotted, having Matt Martin on the team did absolutely nothing to prevent that.
When the playoffs come it's a much heavier and more physical game. Either you believe you need guys like Martin or you don't. I know last year we (Oilers) were a very big team and we still had a tough time with big teams like San Jose and Anaheim. Skill is great but you need physicality too IMO. Martin staying a Leaf for playoffs seems like a no-brainer to me. It won't prevent injuries to your players but it does keep the other team on it's toes knowing they could be hit into next Tuesday if Martin runs them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Understandably. But obviously Leafs would have to retain as trying to re-unite the E=mc^2 line without retention would create a 4th line with a $9.35 million cap hit.

Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
2.5-3.35-3.5

Sure the fans would be happy to ecstatic but it could just be another Garth Jedi mind trick in that he doesn't actually help our horribly porous defense. But hey, he did something. He's trying you guys!

That's the thing. A 4th line of 2.5-3.35-3.5 is insanely out of proportion. Bailey makes 3.3M per. Ladd is a 3rd liner these days and he makes 5.5M. I am sure the Isles fans want him back being Martin was a popular player. And maybe it will happen with 800K-1M retention. But the league is getting faster, having a 4th line that can keep up and kill PIMS is the goal now. Lots of players that can fill that role at less than 2.5 per. I think Snow better get to thinking how to pay for players that are going to be paid soon, in addition to addressing goaltending and D. JT, Bailey, Barzal, Beauvillier ect...Can't be wasting cap assets with so many big decisions coming down the pipe soon.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's just getting old and injured now. Time catches up with all players. Seems like this is his year for that.

He's old and mostly just skates fast in a straight line. Zero hands this year and snake bitten on top of it.

2 goals all season after a 20 goal performance last year

Interesting.

So what would the basis of the trade look like?

Chimera for Martin (500k retained) and Leivo?

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
When the playoffs come it's a much heavier and more physical game. Either you believe you need guys like Martin or you don't. I know last year we (Oilers) were a very big team and we still had a tough time with big teams like San Jose and Anaheim. Skill is great but you need physicality too IMO. Martin staying a Leaf for playoffs seems like a no-brainer to me. It won't prevent injuries to your players but it does keep the other team on it's toes knowing they could be hit into next Tuesday if Martin runs them.
The guy can't play hockey... Keeping a guy that can only play 5 minutes a night and would be a liability on the ice against most of the other teams lines makes no sense. So he can hit sometimes every now and then, it means nothing when you can't compete with the other guys on the ice. The Leafs fourth line used to get hemmed in their own zone on a regular basis. That hasn't been happening at all since Martin has been scratched and the fourth line has actually been a threat and not just the line they send out there when everyone else is gassed.

Toughness is fine but only if the guy can actually play hockey as well. It's not like Martin was very useful in the playoffs last season, I just fail to see why so many people think that playoff hockey requires icing an inferior line up just so a guy that plays 5 minutes a night can chase someone around and attempt to throw a hit. I'd rather had an offensive threat as a fourth line, not a liability.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I'm going to clarify that I am a CANUCKS fan.

I DO NOT WANT MATT MARTIN

I DO NOT WANT GUDBRANSON

I DO NOT LIKE JIM BENNING

But ol jimbo is definitely going to trade Guddy to Toronto for Martin because he thinks Martin will be an amazing replacement for Derek Dorsett.

And everyone knows the ONLY reason the Canucks are bad, is because we don't have Derek Dorsett ;)

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
In another thread someone mentioned paying his July 1 bonus and then trading him with no salary retained and it seems like what might happen here. Isles could take him now but Leafs would prob have to retain about 1 mil each year.
Exactly, trade him after July 1 to a shoestring-budget team for a pick (cap hit: 2.5M, real $: 0.75M, 1.75M)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad