Friedman: Leafs may keep money on a Matt Martin Trade

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Personally I'd prefer Martin in the lineup over Komarov.

Ideally I'd prefer Johnsson over both, but baby steps.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Martin isn't on the ice, when Matthews plays. It's kind of irrelevant.

Thats not how hockey works.

You dont have to be on the ice when an incident happens.

Martin being on the bench and in the lineup will keep oppenents honest for 2 reason.

1. They will have to answer the bell as you know Martin will get deployed out there eventually.

2. If someone takes a run at Mathews, they have to fear the retaliation that a guy like Martin will take a run at Kucherov/Stamkos.

Thats what enforcers do. Keep opponents honest

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
they should keep him. he provides toughness which is never a bad thing. and he's relatively cheap at 2.5 million. the cap will only hurt us in the 2019-2020 when the big 3 have contracts.

Reactions: shortfuze

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
At hitting and standing up for teammates?
Show me an instance that stands out in which Martin did that this season. There have been countless GDTs on the Leafs board in which an incident happened, many of us said "Martin better straighten that guy out", and nothing ever happened. I mean, the guy has a whopping 45 penalty minutes this season, not like he's been dropping the mitts a bunch. So if his only talent is "toughness"....but he isn't playing "tough"....then what's the sense of giving him a spot over Kapanen?

Reactions: MattySnipes

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Martin being on the bench and in the lineup will keep oppenents honest for 2 reason.

1. They will have to answer the bell as you know Martin will get deployed out there eventually.

2. If someone takes a run at Mathews, they have to fear the retaliation that a guy like Martin will take a run at Kucherov/Stamkos.

Kadri has injured more guys than Martin, he's a bigger deterrent. Same with Komarov. Nobody is that afraid of having to "fight" Martin when they know they can just bear hug and turtle until the refs break it up.

And even then we're lucky if Martin doesn't take a penalty in the process.

Nobody is afraid of Martin. They're afraid of guys like Chara who are out there half the game laying the body and then scoring on you.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Retaining a mil on him adds up to about the same as sending him to the minors doesn't? I guess as a sign of respect they might want to avoid that but I don't think it would hurt to keep him for now and explore options in the summer.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I think when they signed him they didn't expect to be as good as they've been right away. Martins a useful player but not one a playoff team will dress every game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was brought up in the trade thread for Martin. Said it then. This is no surprise at all if the Leafs want to trade Martin. Retention or a draft pick/prospect going the other way if the team is to retain is likely. No good GM is going to take on 2.5 x 2 years for a 4th line player of Martin's ability playing 7 mins a game. Infact hockey has evolved to where the 4th line is more than a 4th line grinder/fighter role. I am not even sure if many teams would be interested in taking him on outright. Lou might have to live with the remainder of this contract.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Martin should be someone the Canucks are targeting with Dorsett gone, especially if he comes in with retention.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bring him home
If I were Snow, I would pass. He's got skilled good young fwds coming up, they will need roster spots, and they will have faster players to play in the line up. Its a speed game now. Even 4th lines need to skate and have some skill these days. They let him go once, it was the right thing when they did not pay him. Don't make a similar mistake as the Leafs did when they gave him 2.5M x 4 years. Just let this one go.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I'm not a huge Martin the player fan, I think we have a lot of other options. But what worries me is dealing a guy who is clearly close with a lot of the guys in our locker room.

Even if it's throwing him in there a few times this year and maybe in the playoffs vs Boston, then dealing him in the offseason. I think that would have less of an impact on our room.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d take him back on the isles in a heartbeat but it depends on how much the leafs would be willing to retain.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Because we are a much better team with our young skills players in the lineup than we are with "tough" guys like Martin and Polak?
Right now they are. Not when the playoffs start and the other team starts to grind down the young guys.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

time for this stupid f***ing narrative to die

-Martin was in the lineup during that game dotchin did that, not a single thing happened to dotchin
-Players that try to hurt other players are prepared to fight and therefore not scared of matt martin or fighting him anyway. Or the rat kind who don't fight anyone at all
-Matt Martin to my knowledge has never "run" another player at all ever, so all of a sudden he is going to completely change the way he plays because someone hurt Matthews?.

to your point #2 why did he not run them in the game dotchin hurt Matthews?, oh that's right because he is never on the ice against actual good hockey players in order to be able to do that

Reactions: X66

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Again, Martin was IN the line-up when that happened to Matthews.

A) Nothing deterred Dotchin from doing that
B) Martin did nothing to him

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He may not be a big contributor on the ice but off the ice is a different story. A lot of the young guys love him and he may indirectly be helping a winning atmosphere.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He may not be a big contributor on the ice but off the ice is a different story. A lot of the young guys love him and he may indirectly be helping a winning atmosphere.

this is a legit reason for keeping him, none of that policeman stuff. He seems genuinely like a good person/pro and a lot of the players like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad