Leafs Lounge Returns: V1

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Infinitely prefer boxing to men groping each other rolling around in some homo-erotic manner on the floor
in boxing, you gotta keep em separated, but in MMA they are apart maybe once
MMA might have a few punches and roundhouse kicks but it is mostly Greko Roman wrestling- such a bore!
And there is inevitable fighting at the bar too- so tedious- you look at the one starting it and thing, "You dunce!"

Grew up a boxing fan, but it's genuinely awful in 2019. You can cry about fighters taking each other down and bashing their face in, but at the end of the day these are genuinely the best fighters in the world. I watch all combat sports, but the old man philosophy you hold is dying, if not dead. None of my friends give a shit about boxing in 2019, unfortunately..because I do enjoy the sport still.

But MMA is much more entertaining than watching Canelo get boxed up for 12 rounds and be gifted decisions.

I feel like you either you haven't watched MMA in a while, or you're a mere casual fan. MMA isn't what it used to be, things are pretty well rounded unlike around 2008 or so...of course there are always exceptions, on both sides

Last edited:

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
My Top 10 movies maybe in order maybe not:
1, Airplane- easy to forget to put on the list
2, Lawrence of Arabia- did you see star wars? Based on this (pacing, cinematography)
3, Network - best political polemic
4, All About Eve - perhaps the best acted film - I would argue no doubt the best acted film
5, North By Northwest, my favorite Bond film is by Hitchcock!
6, The Kaine Mutiny - best law film but it takes a really long time to get there
7. The Godfather. Fascinating story - great cinematography!
8. 2001 a space Odyssey - for the beginning ape bit- dawn of man- You buy in immediately!
9 Lifeboat- John Steinbeck screenplay, Hitchcock directs - during WW2, luxury liner goes down and people from different social strata end up on a lifeboat - a mostly 1 set remarkable movie.
10 . A Streetcar Named Desire or on the Waterfront 1950's Brando- I'm going with Stella!

Broad thoughts :
Movies really, really suck these days because they are all $100 million CGI that is crafted to the human attention span.

If I were king and dictator I would force all of you to watch Network at the very least - of " I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more" fame.

"All about Eve" is perhaps the best movie ever made of course along with Lawrence of Arabia.

Go see All about Eve and Sunset Boulevard
All About Eve received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics upon its release on October 13, 1950 at a New York Citypremiere. The film's competitor, Sunset Boulevard, released the same year, drew similar praise, and the two were often favorably compared. Film critic Bosley Crowther of The New York Times loved the film, stating that "a fine Darryl Zanuck production, excellent music and an air of ultra-class complete this superior satire."[12] Variety called it "a literate, adult film" with "exceedingly well-cast performances,"[13] while Harrison's Reports called it "a fascinating, continually absorbing story about Broadway theatrical people, given a mature treatment and penetrated with realistic dialogue and flashes of slick, sardonic humor."[14] John McCarten of The New Yorker called it "a thoroughly entertaining movie."[15]
Writing in 2000, film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times praised the film, saying Bette Davis' character "veteran actress Margo Channing in All About Eve was her greatest role."[16] Boxoffice.com stated that it "is a classic of the American cinema – to this day the quintessential depiction of ruthless ambition in the entertainment industry, with legendary performances from Bette Davis, Anne Baxter and George Sanders anchoring one of the very best films from one of Hollywood's very best Golden Era filmmakers: Joseph L. Mankiewicz."[17]
All About Eve - Wikipedia

Anything by Kubric, (2001, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, SEE THIS MOVIE: Paths of Glory are truly remarkable, Filmography and awards of Stanley Kubrick - Wikipedia

Anything by David Lean. All red blooded heterosexual men must
know:
1958 Best Director The Bridge on the River Kwai Won
1963 Best Director Lawrence of Arabia Won
David Lean - Wikipedia

Anything by Billy Wilider including Some Like It Hot. The Apartment (awesome date film "shut up and deal!"

Last edited:

member 262271

Hey all, going to Toronto in April, any vegans on here that can recommend good restaurants? I'm aware of the Burger's Priest and their option but thats about it.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Snowbirds, need a little help here: I'm gonna be going to the States with me mum and pop. I need to know what you guys do for your cellphone plans. Do you get another SIM here or do you do that in the States?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Hey all, going to Toronto in April, any vegans on here that can recommend good restaurants? I'm aware of the Burger's Priest and their option but thats about it.
Of course I'm just one guy and cuisine in Toronto can get a little pricey, so I would highly recommend going to Reddit or even Google maps. For example, it may not be obvious to some, but South Indian cuisine is pretty vegetarian-friendly (and then there's the whole "how vegan" are you). E.L Ruddy is supposed to be pretty decent but it's cash-only

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I have seen many Vegan restaurants along Bloor st and Queen st, Burger Priest is just a burger place, I guess you can get a vegeburger there.

member 262271

Of course I'm just one guy and cuisine in Toronto can get a little pricey, so I would highly recommend going to Reddit or even Google maps. For example, it may not be obvious to some, but South Indian cuisine is pretty vegetarian-friendly (and then there's the whole "how vegan" are you). E.L Ruddy is supposed to be pretty decent but it's cash-only
Cash only used to be the bane of my existence until I learned to budget properly, I’ll look that place up, thanks!

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Anyone playing RDR2? I bought it during the big sale on psn that just ended, but I haven’t sat down and got as hopelessly addicted to it as I anticipate I will.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
To my fellow snow birds on vacation at warmer locations across the globe... enjoy.

In just a few days in Jamaica, we’ve had our share of fun. From Beach Olympics to Karaoke to Scuba Diving to rediscovering Rum.... ya mon.

However, along with the fun... there is some serious Douchery going on.

- to the gents who spend 4-5 hours straight at the pool bar without getting out of the water.... we know what you are doing. Bladders aren’t that strong.

- to the lady who chose to take a beach chair NEXT TO and DOWNWIND from the Beach volleyball court, stop acting so friggin’ indignant when the ball lands near or on you. What did you expect when you chose that spot?

- there’s a bachelorette party group here. 14 in total. I’m happy for you. But “your girl” isn’t the first person in the history of people to get married. Quite a few of the people you are annoying by playing your country music on your Bluetooth speakers... overtop of the Reggae.... probably are in their second and third marriages.

- lastly to the night owls. I’ve been there. I can appreciate a good bar closing.

However, you don’t have to sing in the halls at 2am on your way back to your room. I took note of your room # and that 6:30am room to room call was from me. That will happen every day you pretend like you are Justin Beiber.

Happy to get your day started on the right foot.

Happy March Break Everyone.

Reactions: Jmo89

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Anyone playing RDR2? I bought it during the big sale on psn that just ended, but I haven’t sat down and got as hopelessly addicted to it as I anticipate I will.

most important note is the tutorial takes about 4 hours, but it gets really good after that. It does have pacing issues in my opinion some chapters are all action some are slow and pretty boring. And it does get repetitive, its so in depth you have to have baths, eat food and hunt. It's pretty cool that if you don't bathe the towns folk talk to you differently etc.

It is also so long I didn't even finish it haha

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
On the gaming side of things, I'm playing nhl 14, and a bunch of snes games on my Switch. There's an nhl 94 tourney downtown in a couple weeks.. I'm considering taking part.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011

Planta is pretty good. Farm'r on the esplanade I think has good vegan options as well.

Nvm, from like 8 months ago.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
1*Td1FOqpAmTz70xb3NwyjnQ.jpeg

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Grew up a boxing fan, but it's genuinely awful in 2019. You can cry about fighters taking each other down and bashing their face in, but at the end of the day these are genuinely the best fighters in the world. I watch all combat sports, but the old man philosophy you hold is dying, if not dead. None of my friends give a **** about boxing in 2019, unfortunately..because I do enjoy the sport still.

But MMA is much more entertaining than watching Canelo get boxed up for 12 rounds and be gifted decisions.

I feel like you either you haven't watched MMA in a while, or you're a mere casual fan. MMA isn't what it used to be, things are pretty well rounded unlike around 2008 or so...of course there are always exceptions, on both sides

Yeah, when the sport first gained popularity it was 90% grappling but I agree with you the poster you were responding to hasn't watched a long, long time because for at least 15 years MMA has been 80% stand up fights trading big punches and kicks.

Reactions: TimeZone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad