Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to the tampa bay horseshoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs played really well. Completely dominated Tampa. Some games you get outgoalied and last night was one of them. It happens. But after last night I have no worries that we beat out Tampa in playoffs. We have a better team. Freddy needs to pick up his Babsocks. A couple of those goals ah well I'm not going to say but you know what I mean.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Andersen is what he is. A very good NHL starting goaltender. Top 15. When he gets hot he can look and be as good as anyone (like every other top 15 starter in the league when they are hot).

However he is not an elite Vezina level goalie. He is not Vasilevskiy (sic?).

He was out goaltended by Braeden Holtby in the Caps series and he was out goaltended by Rask in the Bruins series. This all doesn't mean that Freddie can't get hot for 6 weeks and win a Conn Smythe. However, over a big sample size, you are always going to see Freddie fall something short of where the true elite goaltenders are. And the elite guys tend to play elite level in the biggest games and we don't see that out of Freddie either.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was at the game last night since I’m on vacation in Walt Disney World and drove to the game. Anyway I couldn’t believe the chances the Leafs had because they should have got more than 1 goal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just because the media stirs the pot with this offer sheet nonsense, doesn't mean we need to buy in. There is a very, very slight chance of an offer sheet, there's a reason nobody does it. We will match, so apart from screwing over a fellow team and driving up market price, what's the upside? You won't get the player, you'll alienate many of your league partners, you'll screw up the market and you'll risk retaliation when you face a similar circumstance. It isn't happening, despite the media obsession.

The media made up the reason why nobody does it nonsense as well

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Leafs played really well. Completely dominated Tampa. Some games you get outgoalied and last night was one of them. It happens. But after last night I have no worries that we beat out Tampa in playoffs. We have a better team. Freddy needs to pick up his Babsocks. A couple of those goals ah well I'm not going to say but you know what I mean.

Freddie has been outplayed in the last 2 playoff series and Vasilevskiy is better than both Rask and Holtby.

So I fail to understand how anyone should feel so confident we can beat Tampa in a 7 game series.

The only way we beat Tampa in a 7 game series is if Andersen doesn't let Vasilevksiy outplay him significantly and it's honestly hard for me to have confidence in that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
LV will not offer sheet him, zero chance, they would have to gut their team just to be able to fit him and the 6 other open roster spots under the cap. If they gut their team, that means they will probably be a bad team for an extended period. Why would Austin want to leave a championship potential team for a team that could be a lottery team?

If Austin's primary consideration was money, then see ya latter, thanks for the 4 firsts but a guy like him is wired to compete, to win, to be a champion. He wont leave for Vegas.

Vegas you want help fitting him under the cap? We will take Marchessault, Theodore, your next three first rounders, Brannstrom and Hague, thanks.

The primary reason they play is for money. That’s number 1, end of story.

Secondary is winning. The Leafs could find themselves in cap hades as early as next year which will severely hinder their chances at winning.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Freddie has been outplayed in the last 2 playoff series and Vasilevskiy is better than both Rask and Holtby.

So I fail to understand how anyone should feel so confident we can beat Tampa in a 7 game series.

The only way we beat Tampa in a 7 game series is if Andersen doesn't let Vasilevksiy outplay him significantly and it's honestly hard for me to have confidence in that.

Tampa looks like they are about to go into a slump. I suspect they’ll be fine come playoff time.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

It is the way hockey goes. When you significantly control the game with puck possession and shots consistently you will win in the end over a series. Unless your goalie sh*ts da bed every game in which case you pull him in 2nd game. In playoffs nobody gets more than 2 games of crap play. I don't want to start beating down on Freddy just yet. But I know what you are saying and if it happens this playoffs then that is it for him with Leafs. His career is over here.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm not as down on Freddy as most in here...In my opinion none of the goals scored on him were bad...3 of them the guy was basically in all alone on him and unless he gave away too much net on the back hand goal, they were all good shots...He did an amazing job even getting his glove on the second goal which was reviewed...Yes Vasilevskiy played out of his mind but 4 or 5 goal posts and some luck are the only reasons we didn't win about 6 or 7 to 4...All 4 goals-allowed games are not equal...Too many look at stats in a vacuum...I'm more than fine with Freddy going forward...He's saved our bacon, many a game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not as down on Freddy as most in here...In my opinion none of the goals scored on him were bad...3 of them the guy was basically in all alone on him and unless he gave away too much net on the back hand goal, they were all good shots...He did an amazing job even getting his glove on the second goal which was reviewed...Yes Vasilevskiy played out of his mind but 4 or 5 goal posts and some luck are the only reasons we didn't win about 6 or 7 to 4...All 4 goals-allowed games are not equal...Too many look at stats in a vacuum...I'm more than fine with Freddy going forward...He's saved our bacon, many a game.
I somewhat agree. But one of those goals was a sure stinker on the backhand when we needed a save. And the shot from slot was very good but he saw it and it could have been saved but i give him a little credit because Tampa was pressing hard then. I am not ready to throw him under the bus on that game. But if he plays like that in playoffs then it will not be good enough.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It is the way hockey goes. When you significantly control the game with puck possession and shots consistently you will win in the end over a series. Unless your goalie sh*ts da bed every game in which case you pull him in 2nd game. In playoffs nobody gets more than 2 games of crap play. I don't want to start beating down on Freddy just yet. But I know what you are saying and if it happens this playoffs then that is it for him with Leafs. His career is over here.

The thing is is it's not premature to be concerned about because Freddie is 28, has been out goaltended in the last 2 playoffs, and everyone already knows he's not as good as Vasilevski.

And I see no such circumstance where we win that series while being out goaltended. It's just a lot of hope that Freddie can hang in there with Valishvskiy. Hope is good. It's totally possible Freddie can hang in there. Anything can happen in a 7 game series. However I sure don't feel great about going into any series where I think we are at a goaltender disadvantage.

Also I have mentioned the Tampa goalie 18 times in this thread and I haven't spelled his name the same way twice. :help:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The thing is is it's not premature to be concerned about because Freddie is 28, has been out goaltended in the last 2 playoffs, and everyone already knows he's not as good as Vasilevski.

And I see no such circumstance where we win that series while being out goaltended. It's just a lot of hope that Freddie can hang in there with Valishvskiy. Hope is good. It's totally possible Freddie can hang in there. Anything can happen in a 7 game series. However I sure don't feel great about going into any series where I think we are at a goaltender disadvantage.

Also I have mentioned the Tampa goalie 18 times in this thread and I haven't spelled his name the same way twice. :help:
You could be right but personally I am not willing to go that far yet. If it does happen I would rather have MAC as my backup with his veteran presence. Sparky better be ready.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Freddy has not been himself the last few games, but he has been our MVP since the start of the season. He deserves to be cut some slack.

He'll bounce back.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Freddy has not been himself the last few games, but he has been our MVP since the start of the season. He deserves to be cut some slack.

He'll bounce back.

I'm sure he will too but I'd like to see Sparks in there so they can see what they have, and if they need to make a move (which I think they do regardless to address the goaltending depth)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Do you not understand how offer sheets work? They would assume the Leafs will match and if not they still get more money on a new team.

I understand but I would hope they care a bit more than just about money. I think that Vancouver and Montreal are great cities, by the way.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Really pleased with how we played against the Paper Champions. Totally dominated them for virtually the entire game. They obv have a lot of very good players so they can make you pay off a turnover or even when they are having a bad period (as we saw yesterday).

I'd much sooner play the Paper Champions than Boston in the playoffs.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Mar 26, 2010
Listening to the post game interviews, it is a f***ing joke. Babcock is happy with the how the game was played, and so is Andersen.

They got smoked, Straight up. The difference is Andersen failed to stop the puck and Vasy did the opposite. This team is going to miss the playoffs. They have played like garbage all year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
giphy.gif

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The primary reason they play is for money. That’s number 1, end of story.

Secondary is winning. The Leafs could find themselves in cap hades as early as next year which will severely hinder their chances at winning.

We have a bottle neck next year, after that our cap situation even with Matthews and Marner at about 24 mil cap hit per year combined , we are still sitting pretty.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Listening to the post game interviews, it is a ****ing joke. Babcock is happy with the how the game was played, and so is Andersen.

They got smoked, Straight up. The difference is Andersen failed to stop the puck and Vasy did the opposite. This team is going to miss the playoffs. They have played like garbage all year.

Uhh.....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Really pleased with how we played against the Paper Champions. Totally dominated them for virtually the entire game. They obv have a lot of very good players so they can make you pay off a turnover or even when they are having a bad period (as we saw yesterday).

I'd much sooner play the Paper Champions than Boston in the playoffs.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad