Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to the tampa bay horseshoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Listening to the post game interviews, it is a ****ing joke. Babcock is happy with the how the game was played, and so is Andersen.

They got smoked, Straight up. The difference is Andersen failed to stop the puck and Vasy did the opposite. This team is going to miss the playoffs. They have played like garbage all year.
What????

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's amazing how many posters came out of the woodwork for this one, it's like none of them have seen a game of hockey before. Sometimes, despite playing very well, you lose. Leafs are still a good team, regardless of a win or loss last night.

Reactions: Lauro and mulefarm

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for coming out

When did you get so serious?

An appropriate response is... perhaps... that will be the same offer sheet we give Laine that the Jets can’t match. Best of luck with multiple 31st overall picks.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Frustrating loss. Vasilvesky went off, and we had 3 costly mistakes burn us, and a weird play trying to stop a Kucherov one-timer (which is a very hard shot to stop in the first place). Tampa showed they were beatable, but we couldn't capitalize.

Marner is one of my favorite players, but he needs to start shooting a bit more. He exploded last year mid-season due to this. We are getting too cute. I also think we need to work on the PP in regards to setting up down-low action ran through Tavares. Teams are cheating on Matthews and quickly closing in on Marner or daring him to shoot. JT is a high-IQ player, so I wouldn't mind trying to run some plays through him down their trying to create the cross-ice pass to Matthews, pass to a crashing Kadri, or trying to pick a corner if they are cheating on those options.

On to Florida, hopefully, we can pull this one off.

What bugs me about that unit is the monotony. I mean Matthews, Marner, Kadri, tavares, n rielly can all handle the puck pretty well, yet there is no interchanging of personnel just to get something going. I mean if the team is covering marner or Matthews like crazy then just switch then out with Naz or JT once in a while to keep the teams guessing. Getting real tired of seeing such uncreative stuff from such a skillful unit. I know Val was just crazy, but u can't afford to go 0-5 or 4 pp against this kind of opposition.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Not sure who wrote that but no way they get 24 mill between the two of them. 20-21 mill

Anywhere from 21m to 24m.

They are not going to be able to sign Matthews for less than $12 M. He's going to be in the 12M to 14M range.

Marner will probably be 10M.

Best case scenario of the Leafs contract wise (and worst for on ice results), Matthews and Marner stink for the rest of the year and the playoffs, and they get Matthews at 12 and Marner at 9M. But that's very unlikely.

I see Matthews at 13M (and he deserves it) and Marner at 10M, so 24M is not a bad prediction for the 2 of them.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Marner at 10, not even.

He's not going to become the second highest paid winger in the game, behind only future first ballot Hall of Famer and increasingly frequent comparable Patrick Kane coming off his ELC even if he gets 100 points.

I think he gets 88-93 points and the Draisaitl deal on the low end if we're lucky, but not more than 9.25.

Matthews hopefully gets the Tavares deal but I have a feeling he gets 12.

Remember, 'productive discussions' have occurred, no doubt numbers have been tossed around.

Matthews: 12
Tavares: 11
Marner: 9.25
Nylander: 7 (math...)

39.25+-, I'm happy with that, the cap is going to be over 90 million in 3 years anyways.

Reactions: David OSullivan

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Listening to the post game interviews, it is a ****ing joke. Babcock is happy with the how the game was played, and so is Andersen.

They got smoked, Straight up. The difference is Andersen failed to stop the puck and Vasy did the opposite. This team is going to miss the playoffs. They have played like garbage all year.
Talk about an overreaction. They are one of the best teams, what are you going on about? :laugh:

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Anywhere from 21m to 24m.

They are not going to be able to sign Matthews for less than $12 M. He's going to be in the 12M to 14M range.

Marner will probably be 10M.

Best case scenario of the Leafs contract wise (and worst for on ice results), Matthews and Marner stink for the rest of the year and the playoffs, and they get Matthews at 12 and Marner at 9M. But that's very unlikely.

I see Matthews at 13M (and he deserves it) and Marner at 10M, so 24M is not a bad prediction for the 2 of them.
You think AM should be making more than McDavid?
Kucherov's contract starts next year. 9.5 mill x 8 years. All those years are UFA years. Marner is coming off his ELC and can have a max of 4 UFA years bought out. Marner should not be making more than him.
Goals are up in the NHL. There should be a correction factor for production when used as a comparable.

If we pay those two 24mill we are going to be in cap trouble.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kucherov's contract starts next year. 9.5 mill x 8 years. All those years are UFA years. Marner is coming off his ELC and can have a max of 4 UFA years bought out. Marner should not be making more than him.
Goals are up in the NHL. There should be a correction factor for production when used as a comparable.

Goals are going to be a factor with Marner moving forward.
After you add up the pluses for contract salary (whatever you think it should be) then the lack of goals start with the minus.

Kucherov makes 9.5 and is on pace for 32 goals, 100 + points.

Marner is on pace for 15 goals, 100 + points.

There will be a difference and subtraction.
Marner needs to improve his goal scoring to be a 10 million dollar player.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Not anywhere but Toronto. According to Lewis Gross the comparables are in the dressing room and Marleau is making 20mill, Nylander 42 mill and Tavares 76 mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad