Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to Rangers 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Matthews didn't look good at all, and I don't see the reason to keep his line together either. They get hemmed in their zone at least once or twice a game, and don't really generate a whole lot. Nylander is back to being an amazing player so put him and Matthews together, and we can see what we were excited for in the beginning of the year with duos of Tavares-Marner and Matthews-Nylander

Muzzin also had a bad game imo, his worst since joining the leafs (although he's been excellent for the most part)

Whatever, 56 shots on the second half of a back to back on the road and lost to an extremely hot goalie, let's move on to the next one.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
People don't get it.

He is not:

Backchecking (he always did this healthy)
No acceleration
No handles
Not shooting it the same

He does not look like the same player, barely 60% of what he was, and for sure he must be hurt.

I honestly don't know how people are not SUPER alarmed, this is almost 12m of our cap.

This. I want the Leafs to bring the cup home. Matthews making as much as he does with that effort is alarming. He's almost at 2014 Kessel levels of effort

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
This team is poorly coached. Head and assistants. Full stop.
Matthews either injured, hates Babcock or has been reading too much of his own press. He clearly isn't trying out there. For the money he is commanding, that's pretty inexcusable.
Wish we could hear the truth.

This is totally ridiculous.

Leafs got over 50 shots tonight. They absolutely should have won, outplayed the Rangers and Matthews played well. He goes into the corners and gets good shots on net. He can’t score every single night. Nobody scores 82 goals in a single god damn season. His production is right up where it should be at this point in his short career.

joeyjojojrshabadoo

Jan 25, 2009
These type of losses may be the easiest ones to swallow

1) 2nd half of a back-to-back
2) on the road
3) we weren't really outplayed
4) refs didn't dictate the outcome of the game

I do think our shot count was a little deceiving. Most of them were low socring chances... NY did a good job of clogging up the center of the ice...

NYR coming off a back-to-back, too. I find our effort/resolve in games like these to be quite disappointing and not at all easy to swallow. Guys like Matthews floating around showing nothing at all. Guys like Sparks letting in 90 foot floaters when we really need a save. Boring same-old-same super-duper-predictable low-percentage set-ups on the power-play. Always playing on the perimeter. Never driving. Always with the slow build-up button-hook bu11shit. Ninety percent of the team scared-to-death of contact--just completely and utterly averse to having their shoulders collide at velocity with someone else's shoulders. Sure we had lots of shots, but it didn't feel like we were on the brink. I just can't see this team, with these systems, doing anything in the playoff. We have lots of skill for sure, but we have lots of problems, too.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Matthews didn't look good at all, and I don't see the reason to keep his line together either. They get hemmed in their zone at least once or twice a game, and don't really generate a whole lot. Nylander is back to being an amazing player so put him and Matthews together, and we can see what we were excited for in the beginning of the year with duos of Tavares-Marner and Matthews-Nylander

Whatever, 56 shots on the second half of a back to back on the road and lost to an extremely hot goalie, let's move on to the next one.
It's an awful line but which line does Marleau go on to wreck?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Corsica had us at 9.22 expected goals tonight. Obviously that's a little crazy, but I don't have an issue with how we played. A different night with a little more luck and we get 5 or 6.

What was Rangers' expected goals? 2 and a freebie by Sparks? :sarcasm:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is totally ridiculous.

Leafs got over 50 shots tonight. They absolutely should have won, outplayed the Rangers and Matthews played well. He goes into the corners and gets good shots on net. He can’t score every single night. Nobody scores 82 goals in a single god damn season. His production is right up where it should be at this point in his short career.
Matthews did not play well tonight, he was a mess in our end. It's okay to admit it.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
The Matthews line looked extremely slow.

Muzzin had a bad turnover that resulted a NY goal.

Kadri had 11 shots on goal.

Kadri has 11 shots? What?

Expected with Muzzin - I don't want to say hes prone to mistakes but he does make some, albeit he can usually recover(Or atleast make up for them)

Who was Matthews playing with? Regardless of that though whoever Matthews has been playing with lately he has just seemed 'off'

Edit: Not downing Muzzin here btw - just saying it happens and not a big deal in determining general play through the whole game.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's an awful line but which line does Marleau go on to wreck?

Honestly just give him to kadri and have Marleau-kadri-kappy, it's not like kadri has been on fire either so maybe something gets going with that line

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
55 shots on goal sounds great but 40 were from sharp angles against the boards, 10 were hack n wacks from 2 feet in front, and five, including Kappy's snipe, were good chances.

But I'm sure the stats nerds will be happy because this game was likely a Corsi dream.
Didn't you hear?! Corsica expected 9 goals from us tonight!!

How dare you not enjoy a dominant performance.

Reactions: KE19 and dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad