Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose to Rangers 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Feels like I’ve been waiting all season for the leafs to consistently ‘put it together’. Now I’m starting to think it ain’t happening. The way the habs and bruins are playing, there is a legit chance Leaf’s end up with a wildcard spot. Even if they don’t, I’m pretty sure we play Boston and we’ll lose yet again. Matthews better figure it out quick, or that 11.6 mil contract is gonna start looking worse then it already does

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
This team is poorly coached. Head and assistants. Full stop.
Matthews either injured, hates Babcock or has been reading too much of his own press. He clearly isn't trying out there. For the money he is commanding, that's pretty inexcusable.
Wish we could hear the truth.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
no, but maybe telling his team the penalty was about to expire woulda beeen nice.

That's about the only complaint I have about him tonight. The only thing I may give him on that one is that the play was starting to come into his end (I think), so he may have been paying more attention to the play then the clock.

Reactions: NCoRe

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
2 things on Matthews. 1. Would he look better if playing beside one of Marner or Nylander - yes. 2. The problem is that if he is being paid like McDavid he shouldn't need a guy like Nylander to generate offence for him. Look how good McDavid has looked playing besides wingers much worse than Kapanen or Marleau

I was going to say this too. He wasn't as bad as people are crying over. He really does have an anchor in Marleau.

After 2 seasons of everyone here crapping on Hyman, it turns out Hyman is actually a huge contributer.
He doesnt have the hands, but he gets you the puck and sets up plays and buys you space.
Marleau is the biggest anchor this season and its not even close, He is this years Komorov and hes glued to our top paid player. LOL

Nylander has officially come back!!

Babcock barely adjusting in the third periods absolutely drive me insane. Just stack the damn lines sometimes.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Tried everything they could in the first, had 22 shots. They got no legs afterwards, most of the shots came from the outside and the goalie saw every single shot.

Typical back to back loss on the road except for the shots total.

How were particular players?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Quality over quantity. Great looks in the 1st period, bunch of perimeter crap throw everything at the net after that.

Once again we get boxed out way too easily.

This!

Glad to see someone is watching the game and not some stupid out of context so called "advanced stats" it is freakin' hilarious that they call it "advance" there is NOTHING "advanced" about it LOL

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Very frustrating game. Absolutely should not lose a game where you put up over 50 shots on a back up goalie.
55 shots on goal sounds great but 40 were from sharp angles against the boards, 10 were hack n wacks from 2 feet in front, and five, including Kappy's snipe, were good chances.

But I'm sure the stats nerds will be happy because this game was likely a Corsi dream.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
2 things on Matthews. 1. Would he look better if playing beside one of Marner or Nylander - yes. 2. The problem is that if he is being paid like McDavid he shouldn't need a guy like Nylander to generate offence for him. Look how good McDavid has looked playing besides wingers much worse than Kapanen or Marleau
McDavid plays with Draisaitl mostly. there's no point saddling Matthews with subpar wingers who don't work with him just because he should be able to handle it

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
This team plays like and is paid like a team that has won the cup the last two seasons and is coasting to the playoffs. I put the blame on this from top down; blaming the low hanging fruit like Sparks or Hainsey is just missing the fundamental flaws.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Thought we we dominated the game quite honestly
Unfortunately we couldn't turn that dominance into goals

Some horrendous turnovers lead to goals against and the PP being a bit of a hellscape certainly didn't help our quest to win

Sparks was ok, he certainly didn't cost us the game but since he's the new board scapegoat I'm expecting some rediculous takes on why he's the reason we lost

If you get 50 shots and only score one goal you will probably lose, it's as simple as that

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Matthews kinda plays like a product of mostly non-contact tournament hockey in the USNTDP. Can't imagine him being this soft if he had to play in the OHL as a 15 year old.

Also Babcock defending the failling PP system and saying it will start working soon just because. Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->